Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > View Options & Hidden Background Picture

View Options & Hidden Background Picture
Brass
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2003, 11:34 PM

Panther has introduced a problem with deployment of applications for me. I used to create a disk image which contained my application(s) and any other supplementary files. I always had a standard branding background picture for the window's background.

However, I can no longer do this in Panther in the same way that I used to.

Before 10.3, I used to create a directory called ".bg" and place the background picture in that directory. Because the name of the directory started with ".", it was hidden to the user. Then I'd use the View Options to set the background picture by clicking the "Select" button and then typing "/Volumes/<disk-name>/.bg" into the "Go" field and then selecting the image file.

In 10.3, the "Go" field no longer exists in open/save dialogues, so this is not possible.

"No problem", I hear you say, "Just type a "/" character and a sheet with a "Go" field will appear to help you do the same things.

That's all very well for most applications' save/open dialogues but in this case it simply doesn't work.

So... How do I get around this problem now?

Firstly, how do I navigate to a hidden directory in the View Options background picture open dialogue?

Secondly, is there some other better way of setting a background picture that other people are using?

smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 09:00 AM

I use a standard, visible image and then use /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V to make it invisible. Haven't tried it yet under Panther, though.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules