Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > App only runs on machine on which it's built

App only runs on machine on which it's built
Brass
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2003, 08:39 PM

I'm preparing to release the first version of one of my applications since switching over to XCode from Project Builder. However, I've found that the application will not launch on my other Mac (ie, the one on which it was not built).

After building, I bundled it up into a disk image (.dmg) file and then stuffed that into a .sit file (due to my crazy ISP thinking that DMB files are a security hazard, and therefore not using the correct MIME type, but I digress).

I then uploaded it to my website, and from another Mac downloaded it to make sure it would all work okay. I unstuffed it, and mounted the image. To my suprise, it just bounces in the Dock once, and then disappears without a crash or any error.

I tried copying the application fro the image to my desktop, then running "chmod -R 777" on it, to make sure it wasn't an obvious permissions problem. No luck.

I then copied the entire project to the other Mac and built it there, and sure enought it runs fine when built on that machine.

Any idea what's going on here, and how I can fix the problem?

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 08:53 PM

Turn off zerolink (it should do it automatically when you go to the deployment build style, if not, get info on your target and look around).

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
Turn off zerolink (it should do it automatically when you go to the deployment build style, if not, get info on your target and look around).
Doh! I'd forgotten about zero link... all this new fandangled XCode stuff!

But I'm not sure I'm understanding the XCode interface for this correctly. Where's the Project Builder equivalent of "Depoyment" and "Development" build modes?

Or otherwise, how do I turn off ZeroLink? I've found in the target properties that Zero link is actually crossed out and the checkbox is not selected, if that means anything.

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2003, 09:06 PM

Never mind... found it... in the Project Inspector.

ambush
Banned
Nov 27, 2003, 10:53 PM

I had the same exact problem. this is bad. they should warn you.

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
I had the same exact problem. this is bad. they should warn you.
Yeah... I'm just glad I tested it on another Mac before publishing the fact that a new version was available straight away (as I sometimes foolishly do).

Forum Links
Forum Rules