Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Cocoa Bindings performance?

Cocoa Bindings performance?
Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2004, 08:15 PM

Has anyone done any speed/efficiency comparisons between using Cocoa "bindings" and the traditional manually written "glue code" paradigms for populating/extracting data to/from the GUI?

I know that in either case this sort of thing would usually run quickly anyway, so it's unlikely to matter much, but I'm just curious (I'm part way through converting one of my apps to using bindings, and although I like it, there are some annoying quirks).
( Last edited by Brass; Aug 9, 2004 at 10:41 PM. )

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2004, 10:24 AM

Watch this. There may be some relevant advice in there

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Watch this. There may be some relevant advice in there
I would have expected somebody from the UK to have a less American sense of humour than that. Not helpful, and not funny.

But thanks for trying anyway

He does remind me a bit of that Steve Ballmer video though.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 05:42 AM

You'd only find it amusing if you had dealt with countless people making all the stupid mistakes it refers to.

Anyway, I just thought that the following was particularly relevant to your question:
What do you mean which is faster? Who the **** cares which one is faster?!

techtrucker
Senior User
Aug 16, 2004, 07:03 AM

And here I thought as developers performance would be an important topic.

Brass,

I have done a little testing with bindings vs glue code. I have an app that loads up a table with about a thousand records from a postgres db. I created a test app using bindings to load up the same data. I saw no difference in performance between the two methods.
FWIW I'm sticking with the glue code...
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
Has anyone done any speed/efficiency comparisons between using Cocoa "bindings" and the traditional manually written "glue code" paradigms for populating/extracting data to/from the GUI?

I know that in either case this sort of thing would usually run quickly anyway, so it's unlikely to matter much, but I'm just curious (I'm part way through converting one of my apps to using bindings, and although I like it, there are some annoying quirks).
Apple apparently did some pretty clever hacking with the bindings to make 'em fast (caching runtime info, etc...), obviously it's still going to be a little slower in some cases, but I haven't noticed anything particularly major. I'd go ahead and use 'em, then Shark it to see if they're a problem.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2004, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by techtrucker:
And here I thought as developers performance would be an important topic.
Premature optimization IS the root of all evil! Bad programmer! NO COOKIE!!!

Of course performance is important, but in this particular case I'd say any quantification is going to be relatively irrelevant.

Forum Links
Forum Rules