Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What are some of your other favourite forums...???

What are some of your other favourite forums...???
shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 06:35 PM

blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 06:40 PM

Other forums�?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 15, 2004, 06:42 PM

search and be happy

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite

turtle777
Clinically Insane

The only other forum I post in now and then is Heise.de.

But the people there suck, so many trolls, it costs way to many nerves. So I guess, MacNN is my only home !

-t

Mafia
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 07:00 PM

www.bamf.com more of a lurker, they have a wierd sense of humor that i seem to have
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2004, 07:25 PM

dillerX
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 07:39 PM

my sig
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
www.bamf.com more of a lurker, they have a wierd sense of humor that i seem to have
heheh....

LURKING is neat....

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 07:55 PM

http://www.youthontherock.com <-Christian students forum. I'm the resident atheist

http://forum.protestwarrior.com <- Right-wing counterprotest site. I was banned from there, and coincidentally I made a huge liberal database which is in my sig which links there. The two founders are idiots and homophobes.

http://www.ibscrewed.net <-- IB program forum, mostly lurk.

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2004, 08:10 PM

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 08:22 PM

http://forums.applenova.com - I'm a moderator there. Pretty lighthearted and fun. We don't take ourselves too seriously since there are just a few dozen regular members and we know each other pretty well.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com - Lots of informative tech discussion. There's plenty of computer hardware and software discussion as well as forums for Mac users, gamers, and a very active classifieds (with its own feedback/referral system).

I don't go to a whole lot of others... occasionally the MacAddict forums if I want a laugh, very occasionally the Ambrosia Software forums but it seems like Ambrosia hasn't done anything for the last year or so, and discussion on the same old games I've already beaten does get a bit old eventually.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by macintologist:
[B][
http://forum.protestwarrior.com <- Right-wing counterprotest site. I was banned from there, and coincidentally I made a huge liberal database which is in my sig which links there. The two founders are idiots and homophobes.

]

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 10:07 PM

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 10:09 PM

Somethingawful, talkaboutcomics.com, bamf. I'm not much of a joiner.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2004, 10:22 PM

i rock the boat.
[H]
resexcllence (got banned, so to hell with them)
this stupid ass mazda forum.
i lurk at somethingawful (can't seem to find the $10 though)

that's about it i think.

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 15, 2004, 10:27 PM

http://www.youthontherock.com <-Christian students forum. I'm the resident atheist

http://www.ibscrewed.net <-- IB program forum, mostly lurk.
Why do you spend so much time at a forum that is dedicated to beliefs that are completely counter to your beliefs?

Are you that much of an asshole? I wouldn't expect a Windows person to peruse the OS X forum here at MacNN. That's like having a Nazi participate at a Jewish support Forum site.

Why do you do it?

Just because someone disagrees with your beliefs you have to prod them?

Spliff
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:

What are those three dots supposed to mean?

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
Why do you spend so much time at a forum that is dedicated to beliefs that are completely counter to your beliefs?

Are you that much of an asshole? I wouldn't expect a Windows person to peruse the OS X forum here at MacNN. That's like having a Nazi participate at a Jewish support Forum site.

Why do you do it?

I guess we all know the answer.

Originally posted by Spliff:

What are those three dots supposed to mean?
Ellipses, as in "what the hell", *speachless*, "um�", etc.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 10:38 PM

"Uh................ wtf?"

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 10:39 PM

Spliff
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeth:
Ellipses, as in "what the hell", *speachless*, "um�", etc.
Really? I always thought "wtf" meant, well, you know. Learn something new every day. I guess this is a new internet meaning of ". . ."

I've always thought of ellipses in the grammatical sense, when they're used to indicate that material has been omitted from a quotation.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by Spliff:
Really? I always thought "wtf" meant, well, you know. Learn something new every day. I guess this is a new internet meaning of ". . ."

I've always thought of ellipses in the grammatical sense, when they're used to indicate that material has been omitted from a quotation.
I mean as in a pause, dead air, etc.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:

Why do you do it?

To tell you the truth I can't understand why anyone would want to hang out in a forum where they agree with everyone. I don't go on liberal blogs, and neither do I go to any liberal forums, because I would find it incredibly boring just agreeing with everyone. I like to debate people online. MacNN is the exception because it's my home base and this is my first forum I went on.

Your comparisons are moot. I am quite polite on the Christian forum. I ask pointed questions and get into debates with them, but it's fun and we learn from one another. They are nice people and don't attack athiests personally unless they are rude. I was quite ignorant to Christianity and the Bible before joining that site. Now I could be an armchair pastor if I wanted

And the rightwing forum. It's just fun pissing them off. The people there generally are a bunch of jackasses. Homophobic remarks are rarely condemned, and the founders themselves are homophobes. It's hard to have a good discussion there (this is before I decided to just be an outright troll) because there's no intellectual accountability. When you have seven people making outrageous comments with no factual basis, it produces a culture of anti-intellectualism and shouting. That's the culture of that board.

The culture of MacNN on the other hand is one of intellectual accountability. You'll notice that the average post here has 10x more thought put into it than posts at Protestwarrior. That's because of the ideological diversity, and intellectual accountability. You can't just make any dumb comment, because others will call you on it. You have to back up your statements.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2004, 05:09 AM

You can't just make any dumb comment.
Really?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 05:11 AM

Kilbey as I understand, you are one of the conservative posters here.

I really doubt that you would enjoy posting at a conservative forum, as I wouldn't enjoy posting at a liberal one.

Let me ask you something: what do you think of this statement?

"Unchalleneged beliefs may lead to extremism"

What I'm trying to get at is, I think it's intellectually unhealthy to surround yourself in a discussion with people who back you up. You need to have a challenge. It's healthy to hear the other views and have to back up your own. It makes you a more pluralistic person, which is always the best (unless of course you are someone like Michael Moore or David Horowitz who depend on brainwashing themselves to make writing their books easier)

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Really?
If you do, people will call you on it, which discourages immature stupid comments.

This creates a culture of good debating.

If you spent time on Protestwarrior you'd see what I'm talking about. MacNN is intellectual heaven compared to that place.

And remember, I'm only talking about the Political Lounge here.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2004, 05:15 AM

And remember, I'm only talking about the Political Lounge here.
So was I.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 05:20 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
So was I.
Well my argument doesn't apply to the rest of the forum because it's just general discussion. The main point of the Powerbook forum is mostly for advice, support and speculation.

badidea
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 06:25 AM

http://forums.divx.com/viewforum.php?forum=14 (I am still one of the most "active" posters there )
http://www.macaddict.com/phpBB2/ (used to be my favorite Mac forum until I dicovered MacNN - more idiots at MacNN but way more disturbing children at MacAddict )
and every once in a while I am a lurker at several other not so important forums...

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2004, 06:38 AM

i hate most other forums because they don't have a freaking sig limit, and if they do, its something ridiculous like 500x300 or something, so i always have to disable the sigs which is annoying.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 08:30 AM

To tell you the truth I can't understand why anyone would want to hang out in a forum where they agree with everyone. I don't go on liberal blogs, and neither do I go to any liberal forums, because I would find it incredibly boring just agreeing with everyone. I like to debate people online. MacNN is the exception because it's my home base and this is my first forum I went on.

Your comparisons are moot. I am quite polite on the Christian forum. I ask pointed questions and get into debates with them, but it's fun and we learn from one another. They are nice people and don't attack athiests personally unless they are rude. I was quite ignorant to Christianity and the Bible before joining that site. Now I could be an armchair pastor if I wanted
Some (granted, only a few) Christian forums really welcome disagreement. I hang out on http://www.shipoffools.com , which bills itself as "The site for Christian Unrest". We constantly get told by more uptight Christians that we're going straight to hell - so much so that "I thought this was a Christian website" is kind of a catchphrase around there

Anyhow, we have atheists, Christians, Wiccans, Muslims, and people from pretty much every faith on there. They have rules about personal attacks - namely, take them to Hell if you want to make them (Hell is one of the forums!) You can't just dip into a thread and attack anyone's faith. Either start a thread to discuss it rationally, or take it to Hell and get ripped to threads by the regulars in there.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 01:55 PM

http://www.lpsg.org/forum/

Its a hard life for us all.

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 02:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
http://www.lpsg.org/forum/

Its a hard life for us all.
[/QUOTE

classic

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2004, 06:49 PM

forums.slowtwitch.com
scubaboard.com
gordoworld
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Forum Links
Forum Rules