Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Quit FrontRow without Remote Control?

Quit FrontRow without Remote Control?
Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 12:57 AM

A few days ago, I was using the new MacBook, and accidentally brushed a few keys (near the top left of the keyboard, I think), and Front Row came up. At first I thought to myself, aha, so we can use the keyboard to control FrontRow without the remote if we need to. OK, great.

Trouble was, I could not find any way of getting out of FrontRow at all, and the remote control was at home (and nobody else I know anywhere near hear has a FrontRow remote control).

I eventually tried random keypresses, all to no avail (the obvious ESC and CMD-Q did nothing). In the end I had to reset the computer with the power button.

So now I'm worried that it might happen again, and I'll be forced to reboot again, potentially losing valuable work.

Anyone know how to quit Front Row without the remote control around?

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 01:26 AM

Escape works fine here.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2006, 02:34 AM

Escape works fine for me, but again, I'm on a powerbook. Does force quit do anything?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 02:54 AM

no force quit did not do anything either. hmmm... I wonder if it was something to do with the strange way in which I invoked Front Row, or perhaps it just invoked itself.

Well, I appreciate the responses... it's good to know it should work. I'll try it again later when I have the remote handy.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 03:03 AM

Well, to turn front row on using the keyboard, you have to press apple key and escape. Then you can use a combination of the arrow keys, return, and escape to navigate around FR. No matter where in FR you are, you can always press any letter key to totallly get out of FR.

I also find that by pressing apple key, alt and escape will force quit FR immediatly.

Try it is a test - close all valuable work and just have a play to see if it works the way it should..
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2006, 08:22 AM

Apple-Esc

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2006, 09:32 AM

You don't have to hold down the command key. Escape takes you back, return acts as play/pause and you can navigate with the arrow keys. To quit Front Row with the keyboard just press ⌘Q.

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2006, 03:14 PM

Yess, I was wondering how to do this. Thanks guys. Apple should include this in the manual

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Well, to turn front row on using the keyboard, you have to press apple key and escape. Then you can use a combination of the arrow keys, return, and escape to navigate around FR. No matter where in FR you are, you can always press any letter key to totallly get out of FR.

I also find that by pressing apple key, alt and escape will force quit FR immediatly.

Try it is a test - close all valuable work and just have a play to see if it works the way it should..

Thanks for this info. It certainly does work when I try it now.

It definitely did NOT work when I accidentally invoked Front Row that first time, and got stuck there. Front Row did not respond to any keys (including ESC and arrows, and letters). So I suspect that I must have tripped up some bug that froze out my system.

Thanks to all for the help!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2006, 07:33 PM

Any letter or number quits Front Row.

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
Any letter or number quits Front Row.
Except when it was frozen, as it was on this occasion, as it turns out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules