Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Napster File Sharing Help

Napster File Sharing Help
mozart11
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2000, 06:13 PM

I'm using Napster 1.0 on a G3. I use a cable modem connected to a Links 4 port router into an Asante switch. I have 6 computers hooked up via ethernet with file sharing over tcp enabled so each computer is accessable from one to the other to share and get files. All are password protected via the keychain.
My question is if I enbaled sharing in Napster for mp3 files, are my computers or network vulnerable to someone connected to my computer to download an mp3? Because the whole hard drives of each computer is being shared, does this enable someone connected to my computer downloading an mp3 to see all my other files and software on the computer.
Also does the firewall built into the Linksys prevent someone connecting to my network all together?
Thanks

t0ken
Dec 5, 2000, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by mozart11:
My question is if I enbaled sharing in Napster for mp3 files, are my computers or network vulnerable to someone connected to my computer to download an mp3? Because the whole hard drives of each computer is being shared, does this enable someone connected to my computer downloading an mp3 to see all my other files and software on the computer.
it depends on how napster is configured. if your shared folder is buried somewhere inside your local hard disk, your average user wouldn't be able to access the rest of your network. however, hackers do exist

Also does the firewall built into the Linksys prevent someone connecting to my network all together?
i haven't used the Lynksys, so i don't know

0utr0x, t0ken.

Forum Links
Forum Rules