Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone ever buy RAM from 1-800-4-MEMORY?

Anyone ever buy RAM from 1-800-4-MEMORY?
drainyoo
Senior User
Jan 14, 2004, 02:28 PM

Im looking to get an additional 512 chip for my PB 17 and this place has it the cheapest.

Is this joint any good?

Also, how do you install it on the 17? I did it on my old TiBook but on this one the Keyboard doesnt pop off.

Thanks.
i hate project managers.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2004, 02:36 PM

All the time. They have been fine with me.
Backup your Backup

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2004, 02:46 PM

Always buy Mac RAM from them, best prices & their RAM always works.

Also, the 17" PBs RAM is installed on the underside now, by taking those 4 small screws out and removing that small panel, you'll access the RAM slot. Your users guide also provides a step by step w/ pics.

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Jan 14, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by SouthPaW1227:
Always buy Mac RAM from them, best prices & their RAM always works.

Also, the 17" PBs RAM is installed on the underside now, by taking those 4 small screws out and removing that small panel, you'll access the RAM slot. Your users guide also provides a step by step w/ pics.
Very sweet man. Thanks.
i hate project managers.

rprata
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 05:03 PM

Yep. Bought a 512 for my 12" PB from them. Definitely will buy from them again.

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 01:43 AM

Yes, same here. I was very satisfied when I purchased my 2nd 512 from them. I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat and would recommend them just as fast.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Jan 15, 2004, 02:13 AM

What's the difference between their "generic" and "hyperspeed" memory? Or is there any?
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
What's the difference between their "generic" and "hyperspeed" memory? Or is there any?
I had bad experience with the generic RAM. Computer would crash all the time after I've added aditional RAM stick. Replaced it for hyperspeed and haven't had a problem since.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 03:21 PM

I used to live in NJ. I used to order ram from them and pick it up in person, very nice people, as I moved away, i started ordering it from them thru mail, i'd say i've purchased ram for every computer i've ever owned from them.

Definately have a positive opinion of their company.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

mr breaker
Jan 16, 2004, 03:59 PM

Also check out: http://www.datamem.com

I've never had a problem, and it's always the cheapest I can find.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 10:31 AM

They are great. I have bought from them, Crucial, and RamJet, and all three are excellent.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 11:37 AM

I bought their Hyperspeed ram for my 15"PB and I had problems. I replaced it with ram from Crucial and have not had problems with it. I have bought ram from 1-800 before, and it worked great in other machines. I which I could give you a review of their return policy, but I did not return mine and they did not reply to my email explaining my situation, which was, to be fair, out of the ordinary.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2004, 11:39 AM

i have never used 1-800-4-MEMORY...i think when i was looking for RAM i read bad reviews about them. i used crucial.com or ramjet.com

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

SouthPaW1227
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 01:57 PM

I've always used their generic RAM, not HyperSpeed, and have never had an issue.

pippiwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2004, 11:00 PM

I'm really questioning whether to get ram from 1-800-4memory. i've heard some issues in the past about their ram not working well with powerbooks and panther. i called to inquire about that and they said that was a problem they had in late 2003, but that the issue has been resolved and no one has had compatibility issues since. is this true? has anyone used coast to coast (18004memory) ram recently? any problems?

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 09:47 AM

I ordered their generic RAM last november for my AlBook running Panther and I have had no issues. No hang-ups, kernel panics. In other words, it has worked.

Go with them. They have some of the best prices and their stuff works.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2004, 10:25 AM

I've never had a problem ordering from the either. I usually reccommend people order from them since they have some of the better prices on the net and their RAM works.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 20, 2004, 01:19 PM

I have used them several times and I used to recommend them to all and sundry.

However, if you ever have a problem with your RAM, you are pretty much screwed. This happened to me (actually, my client - which made it even worse!) a few weeks ago.

Look. Problems happen all the time in a business. But it's how a business addresses such problems that makes them worthy of me continuing to do business with them. All I ask is "work with me".

I regret to say that when I contacted them on the phone with my problem, not only was the guy on the other end a bit brusque to say the least, he rushed me off the phone and pretty much hung up on me! Oh, so this is what they call Customer Support.

Also, at other reputable places, (OWC comes to mind) they will send you replacement RAM in transit while you return the bad RAM to them. 18004Memory doesn't do this.

In the end, after factoring in paying shipping costs (again) most likely paying a restocking fee (because they're just that way), and having ZER0 guarantee that the next shipment of RAM would even work, I decided to hold my nose and never send them another penny again.

I had a client waiting, and I couldn't afford to risk using these muppets again. So I took my business elsewhere.

pippiwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2004, 01:41 PM

i decided to be safe and order from a reputable dealer. i realized, like you said, that bad ram is bad ram from having just ordered a couple of faulty name brand samsung chips. so i'd much rather have good customer service to take good care of me should that happen again. i went with crucial as their 512 mb 2700 ram chips haven just lowered in price, they are the most recommended name everywhere, and they have free shipping. oh, and macrumors has a 5% off coupon on their site as well for crucial ram.

benb
Feb 20, 2004, 02:32 PM

I bought their brand "HyperSpeed", and it was bad. KP on boot. So I called them and they gave me an RMA number. I had to pay the shipping back. But, since it was their brand, they guy (Steve) said they'd cross-ship me one. Ok, good deal. 1 week later, no RAM. Called them, they have no record of a cross shipment attached to my RMA. The guy apologizes, and says they'll send the new one out. Ok, sounds good, mistakes happen. 1 week later, no RAM. Call them up, guy (Gary) says Steve never did the work to get me a new stick. I for overnight shipping on the RAM, he says he can't do that. I ask to talk to Steve, he says Steve no longer works there, I hang up. I call back, and ask to speak to Steve in sales. I talk to Steve, and have him transfer me to Gary. I tell Gary he lied to me, and ask to speak to his manager. I tell the manager what went on, and he gives me an upgrade to the 1GB stick and overnight shipping.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 20, 2004, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by benb:
I bought their brand "HyperSpeed", and it was bad. KP on boot. So I called them and they gave me an RMA number. I had to pay the shipping back. But, since it was their brand, they guy (Steve) said they'd cross-ship me one. Ok, good deal. 1 week later, no RAM. Called them, they have no record of a cross shipment attached to my RMA. The guy apologizes, and says they'll send the new one out. Ok, sounds good, mistakes happen. 1 week later, no RAM. Call them up, guy (Gary) says Steve never did the work to get me a new stick. I for overnight shipping on the RAM, he says he can't do that. I ask to talk to Steve, he says Steve no longer works there, I hang up. I call back, and ask to speak to Steve in sales. I talk to Steve, and have him transfer me to Gary. I tell Gary he lied to me, and ask to speak to his manager. I tell the manager what went on, and he gives me an upgrade to the 1GB stick and overnight shipping.
Wow. Just wow.

I'm so sorry you had to jump through so many hoops with them. You had greater intestinal fortitude than I did.

It just goes to show us that the "best price" is not necessarily the "cheapest price".

Words of wisdom, right there.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 06:22 PM

I bought a 512 MB stick from them for my PowerBook G4 400. Works great.

Forum Links
Forum Rules