Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bad Ram Twice In A Row or My Computer???

Bad Ram Twice In A Row or My Computer???
pippiwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2004, 07:09 PM

So, I bought a couple of 512 Samsung chips for my new 15.2 al powerbook that caused my applications to crash a lot and caused panic kernals as well. The place I ordered them from said that other customers were having similar problems. I returned them and decided to go with Crucial because of their reputation. Installed the 2 Crucial 512 sticks a couple of days ago. Since then I've had a few application crashes as well as my computer doing something peculiar: going to sleep and never waking back up. I have to pop the battery out, reinsert it, and hit the on button to get it back up.

So, is it likely that I've gotten two bad orders of Ram from two different companies or is it possibly my computer? I thought Crucial Ram would be a sure thing, so I'm wondering if the Powerbook itself is the culprit. I guess I'll get the sticks replaced from Crucial and see if the problem persists. ugh.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2004, 11:58 AM

Try running the Apple Hardware Test that came with your machine. If it points at one RAM module, swap the two and see if it points to the same module or to the same slot.

Also, you can hold down the power button to get your machine to turn off.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2004, 12:09 PM

It can certainly be the case that you received two "bad" RAMs (bad by Apple standards) in a row, even from Crucial. I had to go through two myself.

But before you do all the returns and whatnots, perform the hardware test as mentioned above. I do not think that the test, however, can assess if the RAM has subtle problems that will lead to the problems you detailed in your post. In any event, the next thing to do is to remove the 3rd party RAM and just do the usual work you would using the stock RAM, and see if your issues arise. If the application crashes and the system panics do not occur under stock RAM, then it would be logical to assume that the culprit is the 3rd party RAM.
I, ASIMO.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2004, 02:35 PM

We had a bear of a time getting compatible RAM for a PB12, even when the vendor said to was compatible.

I'd switch vendors before I'd try a third stick from the same vendor.

pippiwong  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2004, 07:30 PM

sorry for my naivete, but where in my hard drive would this apple hardware test utility be located? i can't seem to locate it. thanks for all the suggestions.

acadian
Senior User
Feb 28, 2004, 09:12 PM

I went through three b3 I got a good one.
people ruin everything....

Forum Links
Forum Rules