Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AC power has to be connected to run external monitor?

AC power has to be connected to run external monitor?
pippiwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 02:45 AM

I'm confused. Do I have to have my AC power connected to my powerbook to run my external monitor? I have an external monitor connected to my 15" Powerbook (powerbook closed). Everytime I pull out the AC adapter plug, it goes to sleep and doesn't wake up until I connect it back. Is that normal? I've had this computer for a month and don't remember every having to do that.

Is_907
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 11:20 AM

check your power saving options...
sounds like the pbook just thinks there's no display when it's on battery and, naturally, sleeps when closed.

i always set my system up as dual display when i use my CRT monitor, btw.

pippiwong  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2004, 01:52 PM

i don't see what in the energy saver preferences i'm suppose to change so it doesn't do that. i don't need dual screen set-up unless i'm doing editing. so i usually keep the powerbook closed when i don't need the extra desktop space. this powerbook has been giving me so many problems with sleep mode. ugh.

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Mar 12, 2004, 02:19 PM

It says this is required in the manual.

Forum Links
Forum Rules