Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Colored Powerbooks?

Colored Powerbooks?
rsgunther
Apr 10, 2004, 11:21 AM

I was just surfing around and looking at the iPod Minis and I just made a realization. I think there is a very STRONG possibility that Apple will offer colored Powerbooks or iBooks made of the same materials. I think they would probably want to offer it with the iBooks, but I don't think they will make the iBooks aluminum since they will look too much like the powerbooks. So, I got to thinking that perhaps they will release colored versions of the Powerbooks.

Wouldn't that be cool? Colored anodized aluminum Powerbooks.

Hmm... what do you think?

Kermy
Apr 10, 2004, 11:42 AM

No. Bad idea.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 10, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by rsgunther:
I was just surfing around and looking at the iPod Minis and I just made a realization. I think there is a very STRONG possibility that Apple will offer colored Powerbooks or iBooks made of the same materials. I think they would probably want to offer it with the iBooks, but I don't think they will make the iBooks aluminum since they will look too much like the powerbooks. So, I got to thinking that perhaps they will release colored versions of the Powerbooks.

Wouldn't that be cool? Colored anodized aluminum Powerbooks.

Hmm... what do you think?
No that would not be cool. I think it was a mistake when Apple went down that road with the iMacs. I think they tried to suck as much sales out of them by offering all the colors. Then they really blew it with the dalmation and daisy iMacs. God, I could not wait to flush the bondi blue iMac and it's bondi blue accessories from my home.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2004, 12:11 PM

Horrible idea, unless the colours are: Black, Gunmetal Silver and Brished Metal.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 12:36 PM

Apple won't offer pro hardware in multiple colours - most pros don't need their computer matching their wallpaper.

That said, if you just have to have a coloured PowerBook, ColorWare will be glad to paint your system most any colour you'd like - for a few hundred extra.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Apr 10, 2004, 04:09 PM

i agree. i think that the imac was just whoring themselves out. apple was meant to be a professionals company, but turned out making themselves the laughing stock of the computer industry. making colored powerbooks would be the most disgraceful things done to the powerbook.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 04:30 PM

Hmm. I don't need my PowerBook to be plain metal to convince someone I'm pro.

Colors are ok, when done right. If someone has problems with that, I wouldn't want my choice to be limited by them.

Of course, a low-key 'boardroom credible' model should be an option.

J

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2004, 08:01 PM

I'd buy a blue anodized G5 PB in a heartbeat.

This is such an obvious way for Apple to distinguish their next gen PBs without a major form factor change that I have to believe it was in the cards all along.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2004, 08:25 PM

As neat an idea as that may be, I don't see colored PowerBooks for 2 reasons.

1. The "Pro" line will be simple and elegant in design. The colors may show up in the iBooks one day but not in the PowerBooks. Not the image Apple is trying to project.

2. The cost factor of making different colored models. If one color simply doesn't sell well they'll never clear the pipeline before the next revision without offering rediculous discounts. Selling them at a loss is not something Apple can afford to do. They don't sell enough laptops to capitalize on volume sales to make a profit. They rely on a big profit margin on each unit sold instead.

There are options for getting a professionally painted PowerBook right now. ColorWare does this, plus I've seen stretchable covers for sale in solid colors and patterns, but I forget where. Offering this as a BTO option doesn't make sense unless folks like ColorWare strart doing a big business which, by all reports I've heard, is not happening.

On the off chance I'm wrong (What, me wrong?! Never!! ), sign me up for a 15" G5 PowerBook in lime green!

rsgunther  (op)
Apr 11, 2004, 01:06 AM

I agree about the Powerbooks, but come on... don't you think they are going to do it again with iBooks & iMacs?

I see them going towards it with the introduction of the colored minis. Also, anyone who has read up on Steve Jobs knows he is very much into aestheics. I think anodized ibooks would be pretty cool. I would buy an anodized pink one for my daugther in a heartbeat.

pippiwong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2004, 04:27 PM

there are many nice looking, non-gaudy colors one can anodize alluminum. i've done lots of anodizing (it's relatively cheap) and some of the gun metal shades i've seen look amazing. i think a black anodized body would also look nice as well especially contrasted with the glowing apple logo. but what i would love to see is a chrome/nickel powerbook! there has to be some rich kid out there willing to experiment with their powerbook(s), right?

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2004, 04:53 PM

Slightly OT, but in this AppleInsider thread, and in particular in page 3, you will see perhaps the coolest colored iBook mock-ups.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
Slightly OT, but in this AppleInsider thread, and in particular in page 3, you will see perhaps the coolest colored iBook mock-ups.
I suppose you mean iBook '04 one? They do looks very nice, but when I look at them I see my TiBook (more AlBookishs because of the ports on the side).

This may work for the iBook/Mac lines (the colours I mean). But having different colours is slightly more complicated from production side of things, since some are more popular then other etc. And I still feel that black/gunmetal are the preferred colours for the "Pro" line, but that could be me ... I prefer my equipment to be black/gunmetal for practical reasons.

P.S.

The black mockup further down that page looks absolutely amazing. I want that.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

beachmark
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2004, 05:14 PM

Marketing wisse Apple will never make colored Powerbooks. Think marketing and you will come up with the answer yourself. Can you imagine the nightmare coming towards them when they start colors for the businessworld.

Most people at this forum are fanatic users and but the majority 9the 99,99% of all owners) are not waiting for colors. The rather have a neutral color computer that is a good working one than having to think about colors.

It is the same about cars.: men know what they want and then the woman starts to complain about the color. And when they have chosen the color they have to change their wardrobe as the one time they are in that car the interior and clothing are not matching.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2004, 08:13 PM

There is nothing wrong with Apple releasing a black Alpb. If nothing else Apple should have some for a special edition or something.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2004, 11:37 PM

I think it's a terrible idea. Any gain in sales will be offset by the difficulties the iMacs suffered in the channel due to variations in color demand.

Perhaps offering a color(s) via. special order through the Apple Store online would be possible. They could charge a premium on a per unit basis, and make sure the recoup and profit from each colored book sold. Still, I suspect the endeavor wouldn't be worth it to the company at the end of the balance sheet.

PowerBooks already sell like crazy. They need to figure out how to keep the G5's rolling off the line. When the PowerBook G5 hits the street, it will fly off shelves.

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2004, 01:48 AM

colors would be a good distraction for the year wait we're probably going to have until the G5's hit the powerbook. I, for one, would welcome some cool, muted colors. blue, green, grey and definitely black would be awesome. i have colors everywhere else in my life, why not my computer? macs have been supported over the years by creative users: designers, artists, filmmakers, etc.

they can keep an aluminum for corporate users.

they can offer colors for everyone else.

imho, those ipod minis look good.

-g

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2004, 04:12 AM

Why not just anodize your powerbook?
http://www.alphametal.com/anodizing.htm

While I think the colors are cool, I think it's a bad move in terms of marketing. As of now, Apple is the only company with a brushed aluminum laptop so it would be smart to maintain the visual cohesiveness of all of them looking the same. This way, when someone pulls out the powerbook, it's quite obvious it's an Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules