Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mythbusters: The Final Season

Mythbusters: The Final Season
subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2015, 09:07 PM

This is kinda sad, but I admit I stopped watching when they nuked Tory, Grant, and Kari. Half protest and half the end of me watching TV.

Also sad to read this quote from Jamie, which I may have seen before, but managed to repress...

"We sort of managed to tolerate each other."

OreoCookie
Oct 21, 2015, 10:33 PM

The show has run its course, and Adam and Jamie will continue to work together as Executive Producers for a TV series. Even if the two had a more cordial relationship, they have been working together for a looooong time. Reading the interview it seems to me that Jamie is dissatisfied with doing television, and that he'd prefer to just build stuff.

Also, the two (especially Adam) have put more time and effort into Youtube/web projects.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Oct 22, 2015 at 12:40 AM. Reason: fixed url tag)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2015, 10:44 PM

I kinda get the feeling the distance in their relationship is based somewhat in Jamie being a dick.

mindwaves
Oct 21, 2015, 11:13 PM

I'm glad. I hate it. Bunch of hipsters where the main premise of the show is to be funny rather than do science.

And just because their thing doesn't work does not mean that the myth is busted. I don't want to give any examples, but their premise many times is incorrect.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2015, 12:05 AM

I never understood the lack of science criticism. To me, the show was about methodology, which is the fundamental building block of science.

Sometimes their methodology sucked, so you criticize it. This is also science.

All of that is awesome in my book.

OreoCookie
Oct 22, 2015, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I kinda get the feeling the distance in their relationship is based somewhat in Jamie being a dick.
Co-workers don't have to be friends, and the fact that there is friction between the two has added to the show I think. And even if they were friends, 14 seasons of any TV show is a damn good accomplishment, and it'd be perfectly understandable if they wanted to do something else.

@mindwaves
I think the focus lies on the scientific method rather than science, I think the two would be the first to admit that they are not scientists or experts in any given field. And it is clear that what they are doing is not a documentary or some such, but entertainment. Personally, I feel in many of the later episodes the focus has shifted too much to the entertainment side. I found stuff like the buttered toast myth, something which is “small” and whimsical, much more entertaining and satisfying than scaling up explosions.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Co-workers don't have to be friends
Jamie doesn't have to be a dick, either.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2015, 08:51 AM

I think I gave up on the show after the cast expanded - I liked just having Adam and Jamie.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2015, 09:13 AM

I have a feeling on a venn diagram there was a lot of overlap between their audience and cord cutters.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2015, 11:39 AM

This is kinda sad, but I admit I stopped watching when they nuked Tory, Grant, and Kari. Half protest and half the end of me watching TV.

Also sad to read this quote from Jamie, which I may have seen before, but managed to repress...

"We sort of managed to tolerate each other."
I read that they will be back for the final episode. Grant will be immersed in liquid nitrogen, then Jamie will swing from the roof and kick grant in the head to try and reproduce the finale from "Demolition Man"

45/47

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2015, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I have a feeling on a venn diagram there was a lot of overlap between their audience and cord cutters.
I stuck with it for a couple seasons via iTunes, but would only watch while I was eating. Then, over the hiatus I decided reading the Internet was a better fit for eating. No obligation to finish an episode if I finished eating first.

Had I powered through the recaps, it would have made a better match up. Takes me 20 minutes to eat, max.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2015, 09:14 AM

I stuck with it for a couple seasons via iTunes, but would only watch while I was eating. Then, over the hiatus I decided reading the Internet was a better fit for eating. No obligation to finish an episode if I finished eating first.

Had I powered through the recaps, it would have made a better match up. Takes me 20 minutes to eat, max.
I have same problem now.

Another issue they had was people caught on to their bullshit of back-loading and front-loading episodes with repeat footage before and after breaks. Apparently there's a reddit dedicated to stripping out all the filler, Don't recall how much it shortens the episodes, though.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2015, 11:24 AM

There is a reddit with fan edits that hack out all of the fluff. I think it cuts most episodes almost in half.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 23, 2015, 11:29 AM

The reddit should do a mirror universe episode of only the shit they remove.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 23, 2015, 02:49 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules