Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need some help - finder extremely unstable

Need some help - finder extremely unstable
Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2005, 12:15 AM

So I've searched this site quite a bit. Basically i load os x , go into the operating system and finder just keeps crashing (dissapears) and re opens, i can't launch anything that is built around finder at all.

I've run in safe mode, tried another user account on the mac, repaired permissions, verified and repaired disk, fschk -fy, and reset pvram and settings and such.

What should I try next?

Should I just re-install tiger? can I do that without losing my data (thats all i really care about at this point, unless i can un-break the os somehow.

Running Tiger on a 1.3 15 inch AL. Powerbook.
Thanks.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2005, 04:26 PM

Without asking a ton of questions I would guess that a file in your Finder application itself is damaged.

Eitherway I think the easiest thing to do by far is an "Archive and Reinstall" with the option checked to keep Network and user settings.

That replaces your entire system and just brings a few settings over but since all your normal apps are maintained along with your user settings for most people it is really quick to do. I can do one and be back to full function in 90 minutes.

One other thing I always do that fixes problems like these 90% of the time (that I would try first) is re-installing the latest combo updater (not the incremental updater, the combo one).

Do this: repair permissions -> reinstall the Combo updater (using the standalone updater)-> repair permissions. If that does not work do the archive and reinstall.

Let me know if you need any help...
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

Bruck  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2005, 04:50 PM

thanks,

Archive and Install ended up resolving the problem, I dont know how to download/run the combo updater standalone from a machine that won't boot into os x.

Any way you could type out the commands needed to download or run this updater? i couldnt launch anything so i couldnt re-download anything.

But thanks!
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bruck
thanks,

Archive and Install ended up resolving the problem, I dont know how to download/run the combo updater standalone from a machine that won't boot into os x.

Any way you could type out the commands needed to download or run this updater? i couldnt launch anything so i couldnt re-download anything.

But thanks!
I think the Archive and Install is the right answer anyway. It is so quick and easy it is not worth too much futzing.Anyway, a machine to will not boot into OS X is a problem, but a misbehaving Finder doesn't stop you one fixes, just stops one from productive used of time.

For what it is worth an easy method via the Terminal is to just use the "open" command. You can open applications straight from the Terminal. For example open /Applications/Safari.app would let you run Safari to download the updater.

Also you can open a file using its default application the same way. open ~/Desktop/MacOSXUpdate10.4.1.dmg would mount the the 10.4.1 combo updater (assuming a default download location) and open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.4.1\ \ Update/MacOSXUpdate10.4.1.pkg would launch the Installer app and open Combo update package.

The Finder never needs to be running.

Of course you can do installs (and downloads) from the CLI. The command for our example would be (I believe) sudo installer -pkg /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ 10.4.1\ \ Update/MacOSXUpdate10.4.1.pkg -target / Also with a laptop that supports FireWire Target disk mode you can turn it into an external drive and run the updater from a desktop if one is available.

I am not a Unix CLI pro by any means. Most important glad you got it working and I am just glad I finally got Darwing Streaming Server working again after Tiger broke it.

PS. Oops, I have to add..The greatest thing about Tiger is that the Spotlight Menuette on the upper right is the last thing to freeze so its is often still usable when everything else is stuck. That means you can launch things from it. Just type an app name, like Safari, and when it pops up double click it. That is the trick I often do to get the Terminal running in the first place... You can do the whole business from Spotlifght and never need the Terminal.
( Last edited by Homer1946; Jun 24, 2005 at 07:59 PM. )
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

Forum Links
Forum Rules