Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Guess what... another complaint about vmarks to be ignored

Guess what... another complaint about vmarks to be ignored
Thread Tools
Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 14, 2008, 05:00 PM
 
From a thread in the pol lounge:

Starts with this:

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
So....

We have members of MacNN that propose ethnic cleansing. That's something you can expect with this being an anonymous forum where people can say what they want.
Originally posted by vmarks
statement without evidence. All we really have is you in past user names threatening other macnn members.
The he goes on and posts some BS from early 2006. He's done this several times. I've explained it each and every time. And more importantly I explained it in the original thread.

How can this be anything but harassment? How can this be anything but a personal attack?

Just a quick addition to defend myself in public (once again) from vmarks attack on me.

1. The quote in it's context from March 2006:
And btw Big Mac. When someone criticises Islam I have no problem with him. But that has yet to be donein this thread. So far it's the same old attack on Muslims for what one person says. It's the same old with a moderator supporting those blatant attacks on Muslims. It's the same old hatred that you have in your hearts towards Muslims. Your nation hasn't evolved one bit since the days of slavery. And neither has the majority of your people.

And you can continue to try to say all those who are against Israel are anti-Semites. It just shows yet again that you will lie and cheat to get what you want. Just like you have done before and just like you will do again. I've got no problem with Jews. I've got a problem with Israel the "state" and the supporters of that "state". Just like I have a problem with all racist little pigs and all occupying little pigs. You will all get what you deserve in the end and I can't wait for it to happen.

http://forums.macnn.com/61/feedback/...e/#post2900837
And later in the original thread:

Originally Posted by vmarks
I'm interested in the notion that you get to decide when we can or cannot have a civil discussion, after you've just said:
Originally Posted by von Wrangell
You will all get what you deserve in the end and I can't wait for it to happen.
(my reply)
Do you believe God will reward us or punish us depending on what we deserve in the end?
So.... would this classify as harassment? Personal attack?

(I'll post this here and in the feedback forum. Wouldn't be needed if vmarks would actually act as a moderator)

ps. "your nation" is as I point out later in the thread meaning America and Americans. Just to prevent vmarks from taking that out of context as well. But maybe he'll just take that part of and post it in two years....
Is this behaviour fitting for a moderator?
( Last edited by Sayf-Allah; Dec 14, 2008 at 05:08 PM. )

"Learn to swim"
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 14, 2008, 05:30 PM
 
What else is new, vmarks mingles moderator business with personal posting business.

-t
     
Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 14, 2008, 05:50 PM
 
From the other thread (too keep it on topic):

Originally posted by vmarks:
Holding you accountable for your words isn't a personal attack, is it? Weren't you the one who used the words "racist little pigs" ?

Get back on topic. Please don't cross-post between the forums.

As for your comment about "Hussein", I have never used any name other than "Mr. Obama" to describe the President-elect. Use the search function, you'll see. Hussein is a very common last name, which is why I had no idea to whom you were referring in your bizarre hypothetical.
So... in the original thread he continues the same BS. But tells me to stay on topic.

I'd like the moderators here to tell me how I should respond to this? Should I allow him to continue to twist my words and derailing my thread. Or should I answer him and derail my own thread myself? It's a great choice he leaves me with....

And as this is an attack on me by a moderator I feel I'm completely within my right to post this in both the thread in question (so people there can hear my side of the story) and then put it here in the feedback forum.

"Learn to swim"
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 14, 2008, 06:04 PM
 
Dude, you've been here long enough to know tha the only response from the mods / admins is going to be "Get over it, if you don't like it, you can leave."

Personally, I find it curious that only vmarks' name keeps popping up in complaints about the PWL.
Other mods participating there seem to be able to stay more low profile.

-t
     
vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Up In The Air
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 14, 2008, 07:36 PM
 
I usually do not post in threads like this one. This is my one response.


Some members have a difficult time understanding that I don't moderate based on a disagreement of opinion, I moderate based upon the actions of the poster.

The fact that people who disagree vehemently with my personal positions continue to post with impunity should be demonstrative.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 14, 2008, 07:36 PM
 
The other mods who post there aren't the ones who generally hand out infractions. When we have problems there, we report it to vmarks. Hence he takes all the flack.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 14, 2008, 08:24 PM
 
how about someone else be appointed along side vmarks to help him out?
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 14, 2008, 08:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
The other mods who post there aren't the ones who generally hand out infractions. When we have problems there, we report it to vmarks. Hence he takes all the flack.
If that's the case, I suggest that each mod that hands out an infraction does it under their own name.

Otherwise, vmarks gets, as obviously demonstrated, all the bad PWL rap.

-t
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 14, 2008, 09:02 PM
 
PWL moderation is probably the most thankless staff job around here. Like Chuckit said, he's the only guy responsible for a sub-forum that IMO garners a lot of emotional involvement from its participants, so it's no surprise he gets the short end of the stick when it comes to complaints. Despite the accusations of grand conspiracy and favoritism, I don't see it. I get all the abuse reports because the Lounge is the 'root' forum for PWL. I read them, shake my head and think how lucky you guys are to have vmarks there who is patient and tolerant.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 14, 2008, 09:11 PM
 
I have no problems with vmarks, but couldn't these sorts of problems be defused by having a left leaning PL mod in addition to a right leaning one?
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 14, 2008, 09:19 PM
 
or one that doesn't give a hoot about politics and purely gives out infractions based on the rules?
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 14, 2008, 09:26 PM
 
It's not that he's our infractions deliveryman or something. We submit abuse reports just like everybody else.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 12:39 AM
 
I still think having a second left leaning mod in there would help improve the image of moderation in PL. I have no problems with the way things are setup now, but I think a lot of these complaints would be harder to make effectively with a left leaning mod supporting the right leaning mod.
     
Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 04:03 AM
 
Any chance the moderators/administrators could actually comment on the original post?

Is this behaviour OK? Would a non-moderator get an infraction for this behaviour?

Now a perfectly good thread is destroyed because a moderator needed to use his personal vendetta to score points (and attempt to get a member banned)...

And it just so happens that it is a thread about a topic where "his side" is shown in a bad light..... Just a coincidence isn't it?

"Learn to swim"
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 07:07 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I have no problems with vmarks, but couldn't these sorts of problems be defused by having a left leaning PL mod in addition to a right leaning one?
I actually suggested exactly this a while ago when vmarks was accused in another thread for being biased.

This accusation seems to come up fairly regularly. I don't know if it is true. What I do know is that vmarks not only moderates the PWL but also frequently voices his personal opinion there. I can see how this could be a problem. I also understand however that somebody who's not at all interested in participating in the PWL will probably also not want to moderate it.

Regardless if vmarks is biased or not, the best way to deal with the situation would indeed be to have two moderators. vmarks can have a mod partner who openly opposes his views. The two can moderate together and in accordance.

If there is a bias it will be removed. If there is no such bias nothing will change. Everybody wins.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 11:26 AM
 
Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
Any chance the moderators/administrators could actually comment on the original post?

Is this behaviour OK? Would a non-moderator get an infraction for this behaviour?

Now a perfectly good thread is destroyed because a moderator needed to use his personal vendetta to score points (and attempt to get a member banned)...

And it just so happens that it is a thread about a topic where "his side" is shown in a bad light..... Just a coincidence isn't it?
Your posts (both under this current nick and your previous, banned nicks) speak for themselves, while vmarks' do as well. They show that you threaten and attack rather than discuss and explain, while vmarks does just the opposite. His behavior is remarkable only in that he's put up with guff like yours from you and many others for such a long time and that he has not done any of the bad things you suggest he's up to. YOUR behavior is unacceptable because it violates the basic standards of civility that we uphold here, while vmarks' behavior is an extremely good example of "restraint." I can probably find dozens of other threads where "his side" is shown in a positive light and he's had to take action against numerous others who attack rather than discuss, so your last statement is as spurious as the rest of your post. Sorry, but you're complaining that a moderator has been doing his job in trying to manage a poorly-behaved member.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 11:32 AM
 
could we please 68 sayf? he has shown under this, and previous nicks that he shouldn't be welcomed here.
     
Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 11:51 AM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Your posts (both under this current nick and your previous, banned nicks) speak for themselves, while vmarks' do as well. They show that you threaten and attack rather than discuss and explain, while vmarks does just the opposite. His behavior is remarkable only in that he's put up with guff like yours from you and many others for such a long time and that he has not done any of the bad things you suggest he's up to. YOUR behavior is unacceptable because it violates the basic standards of civility that we uphold here, while vmarks' behavior is an extremely good example of "restraint." I can probably find dozens of other threads where "his side" is shown in a positive light and he's had to take action against numerous others who attack rather than discuss, so your last statement is as spurious as the rest of your post. Sorry, but you're complaining that a moderator has been doing his job in trying to manage a poorly-behaved member.
Sorry.. but in what way have I threatened and attacked?

And can you tell me what purpose his original post had for that thread?

As for the rest of your post....

"Learn to swim"
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 12:57 PM
 
I really hate the Political Lounge.

It damn near killed these forums for me.
     
The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Sep 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 02:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I can probably find dozens of other threads where "his side" is shown in a positive light and he's had to take action against numerous others who attack rather than discuss, so your last statement is as spurious as the rest of your post. Sorry, but you're complaining that a moderator has been doing his job in trying to manage a poorly-behaved member.
(1) I don't know who sayf-allah is, but if you look at that thread, it's vmarks who came out of the gate attacking him, not the other way around. And vmarks continued to attack the poster about his past posting history. I reported both, however, because eventually both were going back and forth about each other. And I thought it was highly improper that vmarks got one last shot in at the end and then told everyone to get back on topic. That to me is abusing your position.

(2) Regardless of what happens, I tend to think vmarks shouldn't moderate threads he participates in. Even if he handles it well according to your view, it gives the appearance of impropriety.

(3) And yes, we do need another moderator in there. He or she doesn't have to be liberal, just someone who is not one of the most ideological posters one way or another. Vmarks is one of the most conservative posters on any political forum, not just PWL. It's just not in the spirit of moderation.

Crooked Member of the MacNN Atheist Clique.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 03:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
Sorry.. but in what way have I threatened and attacked?

And can you tell me what purpose his original post had for that thread?

As for the rest of your post....
Laugh it up. You've been abusive and aggressive against anyone who disagrees with you for quite a long time.

Originally Posted by The Crook View Post
(1) I don't know who sayf-allah is, but if you look at that thread, it's vmarks who came out of the gate attacking him, not the other way around. And vmarks continued to attack the poster about his past posting history. I reported both, however, because eventually both were going back and forth about each other. And I thought it was highly improper that vmarks got one last shot in at the end and then told everyone to get back on topic. That to me is abusing your position.

(2) Regardless of what happens, I tend to think vmarks shouldn't moderate threads he participates in. Even if he handles it well according to your view, it gives the appearance of impropriety.

(3) And yes, we do need another moderator in there. He or she doesn't have to be liberal, just someone who is not one of the most ideological posters one way or another. Vmarks is one of the most conservative posters on any political forum, not just PWL. It's just not in the spirit of moderation.
1) My post was specifically in response to the OP, as the poster requested.

2) It may be true that in general it's not a good idea for a moderator of such a controversy-filled forum to post in it, but from what I've seen, vmarks has done a great job of keeping his personal opinions separate from his work as a moderator. "The appearance of impropriety" is exactly the issue here, and I believe that if one looks at the totality of vmarks' posting and moderating history, one will see that he has worked hard to avoid such appearances.

3) I agree that we need at least one more person moderating in here, but my position is more because it is very difficult to moderate anything here, and putting up with the kind of flack users give mods here is a very tough thing to handle. And I think suggesting that vmarks stoops to using his mod authority against people he disagrees with is a base and vile accusation based on incomplete and biased information.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 03:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I still think having a second left leaning mod in there would help improve the image of moderation in PL.
This has been brought before. Problem: Who wants the job? No one has (publicly) volunteered. And even if we get a volunteer, the MacNN staff has to feel comfortable bestowing those moderation powers upon them.
     
Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 04:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Laugh it up. You've been abusive and aggressive against anyone who disagrees with you for quite a long time.
You still haven't replied if his behaviour in that thread is bestowing of a moderator. What in my original post warranted a quite obvious attack on my persona?

Nor have you shown where I threatened and attacked anyone (now it's gone to abusive and aggressive for some reason).

"Learn to swim"
     
Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 04:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
This has been brought before. Problem: Who wants the job? No one has (publicly) volunteered. And even if we get a volunteer, the MacNN staff has to feel comfortable bestowing those moderation powers upon them.
Problem is that anyone who is considered a "lefty" is, it appears, unfit for the job here on MacNN. There won't be a single person found who is on the other end of the spectrum compared to vmarks that will be considered OK for the job.

Quite rightly.

Problem is that doesn't seem to apply to the vmarks' end of the spectrum.

"Learn to swim"
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 04:41 PM
 
I might be coerceable to accept the job, if the others feel that I would be a good fit. I would still like to participate to posting in here (and I think you will find that I leave my silliness to the lounge and not the PL for the most part), and I think my style has generally demonstrated a sincere interest in putting civility and intellegent, well reasoned argument over ideology. I think vmarks does a great job in this respect as well, it's just that being the sole bearer of the responsibilities (at least in appearance) is a burden, and it creates a perception of one-sidedness. Ghporter is right that when people get to know vmarks their perception will likely shift, but to those that don't spend enough time here long enough to know him, this appearance might suggest a sense of imbalance.

If this offer is of any interest to anybody, contact me before I change my mind
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 05:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
You still haven't replied if his behaviour in that thread is bestowing of a moderator. What in my original post warranted a quite obvious attack on my persona?

Nor have you shown where I threatened and attacked anyone (now it's gone to abusive and aggressive for some reason).
"Bestowing?" Do you mean "befitting?" I think that the staff gets to be human too, now and then, and having had a number of users "push my buttons" aggressively in order to provoke me, I think that his behavior was far more restrained that I'd have been in his position. And no individual post exists in a vacuum. It simply doesn't work like that. Something that, by itself, may come off as a glib remark may actually be a veiled reference to a body of posts that are intended to incite or insult.

In other words, behavior is not a post-by-post thing. It's a consistent pattern of actions. And your pattern tends to be pretty harsh most of the time, with a strong tendency to be abusive and insulting.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Sep 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 07:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I might be coerceable to accept the job, if the others feel that I would be a good fit.
Seconded!

There's just something about a girl moderator; you know a girl in charge that... uh.... yes ma'am.

Crooked Member of the MacNN Atheist Clique.
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 07:23 PM
 
You know besson3c is a dude, right?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 07:31 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
"Bestowing?" Do you mean "befitting?" I think that the staff gets to be human too, now and then, and having had a number of users "push my buttons" aggressively in order to provoke me, I think that his behavior was far more restrained that I'd have been in his position. And no individual post exists in a vacuum. It simply doesn't work like that. Something that, by itself, may come off as a glib remark may actually be a veiled reference to a body of posts that are intended to incite or insult.

In other words, behavior is not a post-by-post thing. It's a consistent pattern of actions. And your pattern tends to be pretty harsh most of the time, with a strong tendency to be abusive and insulting.
As you say. No post exists in a vacuum. And when prejudice makes everything you say get twisted into something else you get irritated.
Should I need to put a disclaimer in every single post I post here explaining every single word or term I use just because of my faith? Would you have accepted similar treatment based on ones faith if I was for instance Jewish? Black?

Should I need to explain my sig to everyone just because they are prejudiced? And should I have to explain the same thing again and again even two years later to the same mod?

I challenge you to find a single incident of where I hunted vmarks and "started" this fight. You won't find a single one in recent time. He's had it in for me for a very long time and has been doing this himself.

And again, this was a new thread. There was nothing in that thread (nor in any of my posts just before that) that gave him a reason to attack me like that. And this isn't the first time he uses that quote. Why won't you deal with that fact? He simply needed to destroy the thread because it shows his own side in a bad light.

And yes, I meant befitting... have no idea why I typed that other word....

"Learn to swim"
     
Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 07:42 PM
 
After searching my posts one month back the only interaction I can find between me and vmarks is his attack on me which caused me to start this thread.

So... what buttons did I push for him to do that? Or should I search further back?

"Learn to swim"
     
reader50
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 07:57 PM
 
Sayf-Allah, you asked in your Report if other staff members deal with Reports. When one is sent in, vB emails it to all mods whose names appear on that forum. The report is also posted where all staff members can see it - anyone is free to read & chime in.

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
Should I need to explain my sig to everyone just because they are prejudiced?
I can't read your sig text, but will take it on faith that it says something interesting. As opposed to something like "Keep on Smoking".
     
Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 08:10 PM
 
Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Sayf-Allah, you asked in your Report if other staff members deal with Reports. When one is sent in, vB emails it to all mods whose names appear on that forum. The report is also posted where all staff members can see it - anyone is free to read & chime in.
Good to know. Because I thought a report that would only be dealt with by the person being reported would be kinda useful. I'll then use it from now on.
I can't read your sig text, but will take it on faith that it says something interesting. As opposed to something like "Keep on Smoking".
Text in the image says: Sayf-Allah (meaning sword of God).

"Learn to swim"
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 08:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
Should I need to explain my sig to everyone just because they are prejudiced?
I would think that if one were to put a text in their sig that is in a language not commonly used on the forum then one shouldn't be offended or assume anything when someone asks you to explain it. Seriously, why would you assume they are prejudiced?

[/SAYS THE GUY WITH SIG TEXT QUITE A FEW HAVE ASKED ABOUT]
     
The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Sep 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 08:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
You know besson3c is a dude, right?
Say it ain't so!

Well, I guess I second "him" now... sadly... reluctantly...

Crooked Member of the MacNN Atheist Clique.
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 09:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I would think that if one were to put a text in their sig that is in a language not commonly used on the forum then one shouldn't be offended or assume anything when someone asks you to explain it. Seriously, why would you assume they are prejudiced?

[/SAYS THE GUY WITH SIG TEXT QUITE A FEW HAVE ASKED ABOUT]
It's Latin characters. They're just written in a funny font. Try staring at it for a couple of seconds and you can read it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 09:13 PM
 
I guess I missed those words when I was learning English.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 09:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I guess I missed those words when I was learning English.


-t
     
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The New Posts Button
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 10:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Crook View Post
Say it ain't so!
Don't feel bad, I made the same mistake when I started here.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 15, 2008, 10:30 PM
 
Peeb didn't just start here. Or does he purge his brain every time he starts a new nick ?

-t
     
Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 16, 2008, 06:37 AM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I would think that if one were to put a text in their sig that is in a language not commonly used on the forum then one shouldn't be offended or assume anything when someone asks you to explain it. Seriously, why would you assume they are prejudiced?

[/SAYS THE GUY WITH SIG TEXT QUITE A FEW HAVE ASKED ABOUT]
It's not that people ask about it. I'm fine with that.

It's more the "OMFG YOU HAVE A SWORD AND ARABIC IN YOUR TEXT YOU MUST BE A TERRORIST-(SYMPATHISER)!!)?!?!?!?!?" that I object to. People aren't being curious about what the sig means (the Arabic). They immediately think it has some extremist Muslim link which means I must support all terrorism and want all Jews dead.

For instance:
Easily.

My religion does not teach me to go to war with people.
Says the fellow using "Sword of Allah" as his name.

Why do you need a sword? Cutting vegetables?
This is one of the nicer examples I've found. This isn't asking me about the signature. This is basically saying I am lying.

(again there would be easier to see it with some more aggressive example but I hope you get the point)

"Learn to swim"
     
red rocket
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 16, 2008, 07:26 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
This has been brought before. Problem: Who wants the job? No one has (publicly) volunteered. And even if we get a volunteer, the MacNN staff has to feel comfortable bestowing those moderation powers upon them.
I wouldn’t mind doing it.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 16, 2008, 01:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
This is one of the nicer examples I've found. This isn't asking me about the signature. This is basically saying I am lying.

(again there would be easier to see it with some more aggressive example but I hope you get the point)
Honest question:

Isn't your choice of signature a deliberate provocation designed to get precisely that reaction from certain numbnuts?
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 16, 2008, 01:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Honest question:

Isn't your choice of signature a deliberate provocation designed to get precisely that reaction from certain numbnuts?
No way you get an honest answer to that

-t
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 16, 2008, 02:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
It's not that people ask about it. I'm fine with that.

It's more the "OMFG YOU HAVE A SWORD AND ARABIC IN YOUR TEXT YOU MUST BE A TERRORIST-(SYMPATHISER)!!)?!?!?!?!?" that I object to. People aren't being curious about what the sig means (the Arabic). They immediately think it has some extremist Muslim link which means I must support all terrorism and want all Jews dead.

For instance:

This is one of the nicer examples I've found. This isn't asking me about the signature. This is basically saying I am lying.

(again there would be easier to see it with some more aggressive example but I hope you get the point)
So, why don't you set the record straight and just post what the text means in your one line of text? What does "learn to swim" have to do with "sword of Allah" anyway? Why do you have "Learn to swim" in your one line of text?
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 16, 2008, 02:15 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Honest question:

Isn't your choice of signature a deliberate provocation designed to get precisely that reaction from certain numbnuts?
I'll admit my sig text is provocation to get people to ask what it means. Though I wouldn't call anyone who asks a "numbnut". If I put non-English text there, I fully expect people to ask.
     
Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 16, 2008, 04:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Honest question:

Isn't your choice of signature a deliberate provocation designed to get precisely that reaction from certain numbnuts?
Lets put it this way.

I like playing on peoples prejudices. Meaning I sometimes word things in such a way that if you are prejudiced against something (like Islam/Palestine/Arabs/something else) you are likely to misunderstand it. Also having a signature that might be misunderstood.

If you call it a deliberate provocation to lure out racists and their like then yes. It's a deliberate provocation. I doubt that's against the rules.

"Learn to swim"
     
Sayf-Allah  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 16, 2008, 04:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
So, why don't you set the record straight and just post what the text means in your one line of text? What does "learn to swim" have to do with "sword of Allah" anyway? Why do you have "Learn to swim" in your one line of text?
I'll admit that line it to play on peoples prejudices. Since I know how people will react to it.

But then, people forget I'm from Iceland. An island. Relying on it's fisheries to survive. Having many fishermen in ones family makes you realise how important swimming is. And having lost close ones at the sea makes you also realise that. And this isn't a joke.

But people didn't connect me (even if I often remind people where I'm from) with that. They connect me with the jihadist, terrorist-(sympathising), jew hater who wants Israel destroyed... largely based on what other people have called me or how they have twisted my words.

But here's a question for you.

Should I need to put a disclaimer in my sig and every post just because someone might misunderstand it? And if people are interested in knowing what my sig says why not just send me a short pm? Why ask me with the implication that I'm lying or worse?

And if I wasn't so openly Muslim (this sounds like saying openly gay for some reason... ) would people react the same way? Or would they think that maybe I just thought "Sayf-Allah" was a kewl nick to use while playing fps-games online?

"Learn to swim"
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 16, 2008, 05:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
It's a deliberate provocation.
"Baiting."
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 17, 2008, 12:36 AM
 
Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
I'll admit that line it to play on peoples prejudices. Since I know how people will react to it.

But then, people forget I'm from Iceland. An island. Relying on it's fisheries to survive. Having many fishermen in ones family makes you realise how important swimming is. And having lost close ones at the sea makes you also realise that. And this isn't a joke.

But people didn't connect me (even if I often remind people where I'm from) with that. They connect me with the jihadist, terrorist-(sympathising), jew hater who wants Israel destroyed... largely based on what other people have called me or how they have twisted my words.

But here's a question for you.

Should I need to put a disclaimer in my sig and every post just because someone might misunderstand it? And if people are interested in knowing what my sig says why not just send me a short pm? Why ask me with the implication that I'm lying or worse?

And if I wasn't so openly Muslim (this sounds like saying openly gay for some reason... ) would people react the same way? Or would they think that maybe I just thought "Sayf-Allah" was a kewl nick to use while playing fps-games online?
You've summed up your personality quite well. You live with a chip on your shoulder. It's not helping that you omit your location.

And to answer your question: No. But don't be offended if people misunderstand you.

Now my question to you. What would be your response to a guy from Michigan, USA with the username "Just a soldier in the Army of God" and had a line in his sig that said "I've got him in my rifle crosshairs"
     
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Night's Plutonian shore...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 17, 2008, 01:02 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Crook View Post
(3) And yes, we do need another moderator in there. He or she doesn't have to be liberal, just someone who is not one of the most ideological posters one way or another. Vmarks is one of the most conservative posters on any political forum, not just PWL. It's just not in the spirit of moderation.
Just to set the record straight, I also mod the PWL. I claim no political affiliation. Both sides are fair game. I also rarely post in there because it's ultimately pointless in my opinion. The last disagreement I had in there was with... you. It was clear that you weren't going to change my mind and I sure as hell wasn't going to change yours so I just let it drop- it was only going to go downhill from there. What more could you ask? I take action where I see fit, which honestly is less often than in other forums just because of the nature of the PWL.

vmarks has asked me in the past to address threads that he was actively involved in to avoid the appearance of impropriety. There have been a great many occasions that he has moderated against those on "his side" just as he has against those on the "other side". Even if you find someone that is completely nonpartisan, people will still feel that any action against them is partisan in someway. It's a forum so polarized that nothing is ever going to make some of the regular posters happy. If besson was made mod of the PWL, I can almost guarantee that within a month, someone from one side or the other, or based on past history both, will accuse her of partisanship for some action or another. It's seems to be the nature of the beast.
Nemo me impune lacesset
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,