Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 8-Year-Old Brings Father's Gun to Day Care, Shoots Classmate

8-Year-Old Brings Father's Gun to Day Care, Shoots Classmate
Fred_Cokebottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2006, 03:22 PM

WTF?

http://www.nysun.com/article/26463

By ERNESTO LONDONO - The Washington Post
January 25, 2006

WASHINGTON - An 8-year-old boy who shot a 7-year-old girl in the arm yesterday with a handgun he sneaked into a Germantown, Md., day care center in his backpack told classmates last Friday after a fight that he had easy access to guns, two law enforcement officials said.

The boy, a third-grader, had been suspended in the past for bringing a toy weapon to school, said the sources, who declined to be identified because the case is open. He was armed yesterday with a .38-caliber Taurus revolver that belonged to his father, a felon with a lengthy record, police said. The law enforcement sources said they do not believe that the shooting victim, a second grader at S. Christa McAuliffe Elementary, was involved in Friday's fight. It was unclear what the boy had planned to do with his father's gun, they said. But what ever his plans, they were cut short around sunrise as six children supervised by a female teacher were huddled around a television set watching Peter Pan at the daycare center.

The sources said the boy threatened to rob the girl and then shot the gun once, striking her in the upper right arm.

The boy's father, John Linwood Hall, 56, was arrested and charged with leaving a firearm within reach of an unsupervised minor, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and possession of a firearm by a felon. His son, was charged as a juvenile with numerous counts that police declined to outline yesterday. The boy was placed in the custody of the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services, which provides counseling and treatment to delinquent juveniles. In charging the boy, authorities weighed the nature of the offense and the child's disciplinary history against his age, officials said.

"An innocent 7-year-old girl was shot in the arm inches away from her heart," Montgomery County State's Attorney Douglas Gansler said. "In the final analysis, given this particular child's personal history, both at home and school, the decision was made that it would be in the best interest of this juvenile to be charged."

Minutes before 7 a.m., police received the call about the shooting at For Kids We Care Inc. which cares for children before the regular school day begins.

Paramedics rushed the girl to the sports field of her school, near the apartments, and about 7:35 a.m. a state police helicopter took her from the field to Children's Hospital in Washington D.C. She was reported in stable condition yesterday night. Her family could not be reached for comment yesterday.
( Last edited by Fred_Cokebottle; Jan 25, 2006 at 03:32 PM. )

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2006, 03:23 PM

Only in America.

EDIT: Any members care to post the full article?

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
Only in America.

one trite expression followed by another:

like father, like son

historylme
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 03:31 PM

OMG !!!!

ERRR, that is just so ****ing wrong!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2006, 03:44 PM

Cody to the Lounge, Cody to the Lounge

But no, that's terrible! I wonder what chrages and sentences can/will be placed against the 8 year old?

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 03:56 PM

I wonder if Bob Geldoff will write a song about it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2006, 04:03 PM

Only in America.
I'm getting f-cking sick and tired of that statement.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by starman

yup. me too.

Andreas, does that statement include South America too?

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsar...IA-HICCUPS.xml
( Last edited by Artful Dodger; Jan 25, 2006 at 04:15 PM. )

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 04:11 PM

only on MacNN

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 04:13 PM

only on MacNN

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2006, 04:13 PM

Sometimes the truth hurts.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 25, 2006, 04:21 PM

That guy probably deserved it. He wuz fekken around on her I heard.

Sarcasm...do not flame or I will cry.
( Last edited by Rolling Bones; Jan 25, 2006 at 04:28 PM. )

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 25, 2006, 04:24 PM

So instead of sitting around getting fat go out and clean the country up.

Become a super hero.

Starman, able to fekkin jump higher than a drunk passed out in an alley.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Sometimes the truth hurts.
So you're saying that the rest of the world is peaches and cream?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 25, 2006, 04:31 PM

I hear Iraq is cool!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2006, 05:33 PM

No, just reasserting the belief that More Government is the solution to all the world's problems.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 05:45 PM

The need for guns is again.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2006, 05:56 PM

guns dont kill people, 8 year olds with irresponsible parents do.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 06:09 PM

And if the 8 years did not have a gun in his hands the 7 years old would not have been shot. No the gun in a store won't go off but when you take a gun and aim it at someone and pull the trigger, guess what some will get hurt. And why would you encourage a seven years old to have a gun is beyond me. You don't need a gun it is all in your mind. It won't protect you and kids will hurt themselves or others because you think it is fun to have a gun in your home.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 06:10 PM

Double post sorry

Fred_Cokebottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2006, 06:10 PM

Solution: Ban guns.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fred_Cokebottle
...or give guns to all the kids as a deterrent.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Fred_Cokebottle
Let's see, the father is a convicted felon out on parole... meaning he owned the gun illegally in the first place, probably bought it from a typical shady dealer.

Yeah, makes sense to take guns out of the hands of LEGAL gun owners.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Jan 25, 2006, 06:25 PM

guns with fingerprint recognition?

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 06:26 PM

Do you think really that this is the first kid who has a gun in his hands. There are plenty of example where kids have guns and shot others, remember a place called Columbine and Heston going to that city and having a rally afterward. So the reasons for kids to have guns would be what: for conservatives more kids would die.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Let's see, the father is a convicted felon out on parole... meaning he owned the gun illegally in the first place, probably bought it from a typical shady dealer.
And where does the "typical shady dealer" get his weapons from? He buys them from legal gun owners or they are stolen from legal gun owners. So yes, reducing legal gun ownership reduces illegal gun ownership.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
Do you think really that this is the first kid who has a gun in his hands. There are plenty of example where kids have guns and shot others, remember a place called Columbine and Heston going to that city and having a rally afterward. So the reasons for kids to have guns would be what: for conservatives more kids would die.

nonsensical, irrational, hateful generalizations in kindergarten level English.......vintage Monique.

I'll bet a million dollars you aren't married. No man is that stupid.

Fred_Cokebottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2006, 07:49 PM

Let me just say that of course banning guns wont totally eradicate such tragic situations, but there is no denying that it will significantly reduce it.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by scaught
guns dont kill people, 8 year olds with irresponsible parents do.
guns dont kill people, 8 year olds do
if you ban guns the kid couldnt have got hold of his dads. Then this irresponsible parent wouldnt have turned his son into a murderer
not only that it would be harder for people to get guns illegaly

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 08:07 PM

then again i believe a certian level of freedom is more important than saftey

macroy
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by demibob
guns dont kill people, 8 year olds do
if you ban guns the kid couldnt have got hold of his dads. Then this irresponsible parent wouldnt have turned his son into a murderer
Well.. that's not entirely true. Banning guns COULD give rise to a black market for them.. thus one can argue that you may actually increase violence. And the shooting was more by accident ... so I don't see how that kid can be labled a murderer.

Someone also asked why they were charging the kid - I believe I read in the Post that it was done so he can be properly cared for in the system. I guess this means they can give him a better home????

Only in America.
Only in Germantown, MD .... (just kidding - sorta).

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by macroy
Well.. that's not entirely true. Banning guns COULD give rise to a black market for them.. thus one can argue that you may actually increase violence.
Mayby in the short term. Although id doubt it.
In the long term however it would reduce the amount of guns you can buy on the black market.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 08:38 PM

haha.....actually there is a lot of truth to that. It's no coincidence Gaithersburg is right next door. Together, both represent the ass-crack and grundel of Montgomery Co.

far200
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2006, 08:43 PM

If you ban guns they'll use knives,if you ban knives they'll use bats.. and so on and so on.... It's the parents you have to fix not the weapons....... until then there will be more of this to come....

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by far200
If you ban guns they'll use knives,if you ban knives they'll use bats.. and so on and so on.... It's the parents you have to fix not the weapons....... until then there will be more of this to come....
Banning will also establish the largest illegal industry the world has ever seen and create Pablo Escobaresque figures that reap the benefits of exorbitant contraband profits. Ultimately, the US will be forced to track them down on foreign soil. Then the same people that called for the ban of guns will accuse the US of trying to police the world. Please excuse any mispellings....it's the keyboards fault......anyone want to ban them? It's time for parents to use their brains by not allowing kids access to dangerous possessions.
( Last edited by Artful Dodger; Jan 25, 2006 at 09:51 PM. )

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2006, 09:00 PM

You guys can ban whatever you want.

I'm just not gonna participate.

leehotti
Baninated
Jan 25, 2006, 09:02 PM

I thought felons can't own firearms?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 25, 2006, 09:29 PM

leehotti, they ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO. That's why dad went to jail; he wasn't supposed to have a gun. AND he left it where an 8 year old could find it. AND it was loaded. AND since the state decided to "charge the child" in light of his history, there are obviously other problems going on in this particular household-the level of parenting is lacking to a criminal extent.

This particular issue is NOT about "the availability of guns in the U.S." or even in Maryland (where they're pretty seriously controlled, by the way). It's about a felon who not only illegally possessed a gun, but left it for his poorly raised child to find. THAT'S ALL.

As for anything like a ban, you'll notice that banning drugs has only caused, as Artful Dodger points out, an underground industry in producing, importing and selling those drugs. Criminals have NO problem getting guns in Washington D.C., the U.S. city with the most stringent gun control laws in the country. And they take advantage of the fact that law abiding citizens can't, for all practical purposes, get guns by using those guns to commit an extremely large number of crimes. Gee, I guess a ban isn't such a good idea.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2006, 09:38 PM

As well as I think that it - while it is certainly not fully true - gives a good idea of the meaning behind it, I'm well aware that we have had similar cases in Germany. But alone that fact that 99& of the people in Europe and the USA have an idea of its meaning, it indicates that something is wrong in your country regarding the views and laws on weapons.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
haha.....actually there is a lot of truth to that. It's no coincidence Gaithersburg is right next door. Together, both represent the ass-crack and grundel of Montgomery Co.
hehe - while neither is the model city, they're also not as bad as we're putting them out to be. Both areas do have very nice neighborhoods. You just tend to have the younger crowds there as its one of the more affordable areas in the county. In fact, if you ask a Mont. County cop where the worst area in MC is - they'll likely say a small part of Rockville (its actually where the last open air drug markets are). Not silver spring, not Wheaton, not even Takoma Park.

Of course, its all relative as MC is still one of the wealthiest counties in the U.S..

Sorry - back on topic.

leehotti
Baninated
Jan 25, 2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
This particular issue is NOT about "the availability of guns in the U.S." or even in Maryland (where they're pretty seriously controlled, by the way). It's about a felon who not only illegally possessed a gun, but left it for his poorly raised child to find. THAT'S ALL.
I agree.

Anyone who reads this as an anti gun story needs to be shot. This is clearly a story of an idiot felon father who keeps loaded guns around in stupid enough places for a freakin 8 year old to get a hold of it.

What a dumbass.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 09:55 PM

As well as I think that it - while it is certainly not fully true - gives a good idea of the meaning behind it, I'm well aware that we have had similar cases in Germany. But alone that fact that 99& of the people in Europe and the USA have an idea of its meaning, it indicates that something is wrong in your country regarding the views and laws on weapons.
Monique, is that you?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2006, 10:10 PM

hehe - while neither is the model city, they're also not as bad as we're putting them out to be. Both areas do have very nice neighborhoods. You just tend to have the younger crowds there as its one of the more affordable areas in the county. In fact, if you ask a Mont. County cop where the worst area in MC is - they'll likely say a small part of Rockville (its actually where the last open air drug markets are). Not silver spring, not Wheaton, not even Takoma Park.

Of course, its all relative as MC is still one of the wealthiest counties in the U.S..

Sorry - back on topic.
<off topic>
Geez, you guys wanna bash MD counties lets start with PG county. I think everyone can agree that that is a place where the cops are worse than the criminals.
</off topic>
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by far200
id prefer them to use knives thanks
and how do you fix parents without some 1984 type propaganda
there will always be idiots

anyway im not in favor of a total ban
id just limit the amount of people being allowed guns. If there was less of an industry selling guns it would be harder for criminals to get hold of them.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2006, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
...or give guns to all the kids as a deterrent.
I had conservative friends in college who thought this was the best idea EVER. Prevent school shootings by making sure all kids had guns and knew how to use them. Because clearly the best idea ever is to give hormonal, angry, emotional, and frustrated kids easy access to guns. That way instead of one kid shooting off a gun, you have an entire classroom randomly firing at each other.

Oh, and the whole banning gun thing is rather silly as well. Guns are impossible to get here in Japan, but there are sure a heck of a lot of knifings.

No really. Other High School English teacher friends of mine have seen knife fights or had knives pulled on them. Its a weird place.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2006, 03:00 AM

Not entirely true.

Six-year-old Michigan girl shot and killed in classroom
By David Walsh
1 March 2000

A six-year-old girl was shot and killed, apparently by a fellow first grade student, a six-year-old boy, in a classroom at Buell Elementary School in Mt. Morris Township, outside of Flint, Michigan.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2006, 03:01 AM

[this space intentionally blank]

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 03:11 AM

Only in America.

That is just ignorant, there is news like this going on all over the world on a second by second basis. Just because we have the technology to report this news all the time make sit seem as if it only happens here.

I've read several awful stories in the last couple of days about european kids and their parents too.

Your post = flamebait

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 26, 2006, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by euchomai
Your post = flamebait

Railroader
Banned
Jan 26, 2006, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
[img]http://www.trephination.net/gallery/macros/you_saget.jpg[img]
More abrasive posting from the tRolling Bones.

Forum Links
Forum Rules