Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Serial ATA NAS Enclosures

Serial ATA NAS Enclosures
El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2007, 01:33 AM

Do they exist?

I've been searching around and all I can seem to find are NAS enclosures that support IDE. Would a SATA to IDE converter work as a last resort?

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2007, 08:38 AM

There are starting to exist products with a SATA interface. What kind of configuration are you thinking of, one disk or more?

El Gato  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2007, 01:01 PM

Ideally, a single disk. Do you have any recommendations or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2007, 01:58 PM

For starters, this is a good place for reviews:

SmallNetBuilder

But this one seems pretty highly regarded, and I've been happy with the non pro version:

SmallNetBuilder - Buffalo Technology LinkStation Pro: One Hot NAS!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 07:41 PM

USB and Ethernet (100BT) on the outside, SATA and IDE on the inside: Newegg.com - COOLMAX CN-570 External Enclosure - $86

El Gato  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by kamina View Post
For starters, this is a good place for reviews:

SmallNetBuilder

But this one seems pretty highly regarded, and I've been happy with the non pro version:

SmallNetBuilder - Buffalo Technology LinkStation Pro: One Hot NAS!
I'm always amazed by what my Googlin' doesn't pick up. SmallNetBuilder looks like a great resource. Thanks!

El Gato  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2007, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
USB and Ethernet (100BT) on the outside, SATA and IDE on the inside: Newegg.com - COOLMAX CN-570 External Enclosure - $86
Ouch, only two customer reviews on NewEgg but they were brutal. I remember ghporter mentionnig in another thread that he had a Coolmax and was happy with it; I'll do some more searching to see what other reviews are out there. Thanks for the suggestions!

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2007, 09:52 PM

Yep, but my CN-550 is PARALLEL ATA only. On the other hand, I've never had a problem with the interface, the setup stuff or any of it. I set up users and gave them passwords and it's worked fine for almost a year so far. I have even updated the firmware and it works fine. As far as I can tell the only difference between the 550 and 570 is the SATA interface, so the reviews don't mesh with my personal experience. And I don't know what the two reviewers' expectations were, but these products are very much consumer level.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2007, 06:17 AM

I have to say my Linkstation works well. The only gripe I have is that AFP is such an old version that it has problems with filenames. So basically I use Samba, which works perfectly. It's also surprisingly silent, though some people say that if you let alot of dust gather into the device the fan might get louder (I have a bottle of pressurized air to make sure that does not happen).

I also think the price is not very bad, especially if you compare it to getting an external box and using your own disk.

Best of all, the linkstations run Linux, and there is already a growing community hacking them. The advantages of this are (for me anyway), that once my warranty runs out I can just flash a modified firmware into the device, and gain a lot of new features. For example I can install a newer version of AFP, run a webserver or anything else I could think of.

Forum Links
Forum Rules