Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Submit your own music to the iTMS?

Submit your own music to the iTMS?
Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 07:39 PM

Hi all,

I remember reading a while ago about how independent musicians can submit their own work into the iTMS. This is great, and i was looking into any information about that (how to do so, etc)

I googled for any info, could only come up with old articles reviewing the iTMS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
This signature is obsolete.

ZackS
Banned
Oct 16, 2003, 08:18 PM

You have to go through a really nice indie label like CD Baby.

MacAgent
Senior User
Oct 16, 2003, 08:30 PM

That's retarded. What if you want to avoid all the record company fees?

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 08:54 PM

Do we really want iTMS filled up with crummy files from teenage garage bands? Apple values quality as well as quantity in its store, and Apple wouldn't be able to tout its number of songs in the library any more (a competing service would say "sure it's easy to have a lots of files in your library if you let any schmoe off the street submit himself singing in the shower!)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2003, 08:59 PM

It would be interesting if they offered a service where they would host your audio files for a price.

I would hate to see crap all over the service...

Who knows...

PS Some crap IS on the iTMS... just look around...

FlickeringLight
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
Do we really want iTMS filled up with crummy files from teenage garage bands? Apple values quality as well as quantity in its store, and Apple wouldn't be able to tout its number of songs in the library any more (a competing service would say "sure it's easy to have a lots of files in your library if you let any schmoe off the street submit himself singing in the shower!)
CDBaby.com will (for a very reasonable fee) digitize your CD if they are selling it on their site, and SUBMIT it for possible inclusion in iTMS, Listen.com, etc. Apple and the other services are under NO obligation to accept what has been submitted, and that is clearly stated in the agreement you make with CDBaby. I have submitted my own work in precisely this fashion and am awaiting the word from iTMS and the other services. Since I don't know what the criteria are for acceptance, I have no idea what my chances are, but I'm happy at least to be able to submit my material. That's a huge step in the right direction.

Go visit http://www.cdbaby.com for all the details. If this scenario sounds good to you, go for it!
There are only two kinds of people:
people who believe there are only two
kinds of people, and people who don't.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Chris Gilpin:
Hi all,

I remember reading a while ago about how independent musicians can submit their own work into the iTMS. This is great, and i was looking into any information about that (how to do so, etc)

I googled for any info, could only come up with old articles reviewing the iTMS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
mp3.com

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2003, 09:20 PM

I was thinking of a University professor talking about his paper or something... giving a presentation... he wants a little kickback from it... BINGO... iTunes music store...

Perhaps this is a bad idea?!

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2003, 09:36 PM

Apple chooses very wisely what goes in the store. It's got a very strict admissions policy for name recognition only. It's not a vanity publishing business. yet.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 11:09 PM

My music is better than Britney Spears and I'm an amateur.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 16, 2003, 11:26 PM

Define "better."

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
My music is better than Britney Spears and I'm an amateur.
So's mine and I don't even make any music.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2003, 11:51 PM

I wonder what they do accept, and who makes that call.

I wonder if they are also going to take general books (think University text books)

voyageur
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2003, 11:18 AM

There's this Knowledge Base article about submitting your own music also. Provides an email address.

Forum Links
Forum Rules