Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Comanche Helicopter Project Canned

Comanche Helicopter Project Canned
MacAgent
Senior User
Feb 23, 2004, 02:38 PM

WASHINGTON - The Army has decided to cancel its Comanche helicopter program, a multi-billion-dollar project to build a new-generation chopper for armed reconnaissance missions, officials said Monday.

The contractors for Comanche are Boeing Co. and Sikorsky Aircraft Corp.

With about $8 billion already invested in the program, and the production line not yet started, the cancellation is one of the largest in the history of the Army. It follows the Pentagon's decision in 2002 to cancel the Crusader artillery program -- against the wishes of Army leaders.

Read more...

disectamac
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 02:40 PM

so why did they terminate?

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by disectamac:
Was it needed? The Apache is a pretty good attack helicopter, and the Kiowa a pretty good reconaissance one.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Was it needed? The Apache is a pretty good attack helicopter, and the Kiowa a pretty good reconaissance one.
I think they should've made that assessment before 8 billion dollars

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2004, 03:53 PM

I think they should've made that assessment before 8 billion dollars
I agree, but the program probably started a decade or two ago. Military R&D has a very long lag time. It's still better to cancel the program now if it's not needed. That's better than the alternative argument, which tends to be "well, we've spent $8 billion, so why not spend $18 billion more?"

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2004, 04:09 PM

Well, there goes all of "The Hulk's" historical accuracy.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2004, 04:24 PM

Goddammit, why did they cancel?! The Comanche was an amazing machine...would've replaced both the Kiowa and the Apache. Damned paper-pushers.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 04:57 PM

Interesting to see that in the link in the first post about the future of the military they talk about something little Sweden is already beginning to use, while the US doesn't have the capability to build it.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2004, 05:08 PM

The Comanche has been a target of critics who say it was an expensive mistake.

�The Comanche program has been plagued with wildly unrealistic technological expectations and the bugaboo of pay more and get less. Cancellation of this program would free up funds for weapons that work and meet our country�s true national security needs,� said Eric Miller of the Project on Government Oversight, a private watchdog group.

"If it's broke, you choke."

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by Mister Elf:
Goddammit, why did they cancel?! The Comanche was an amazing machine...would've replaced both the Kiowa and the Apache. Damned paper-pushers.
But why replace the Kiowa and Apache?

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Feb 23, 2004, 06:44 PM

If they've cancelled the Comanche - what chance does the V22 Osprey stand..?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by engaged:
If they've cancelled the Comanche - what chance does the V22 Osprey stand..?

ahh VTOL's, so easy to fly.

busket68
Banned
Feb 23, 2004, 08:37 PM

That sucks.,.... what we need is another good COLD war. You know, nobody gettinb bombed, but just another superpower in a space race/arms race. Why? One reason: More James Bond movies.

- Ca$h

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2004, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by busket68:
That sucks.,.... what we need is another good COLD war. You know, nobody gettinb bombed, but just another superpower in a space race/arms race. Why? One reason: More James Bond movies.

- Ca$h

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2004, 04:31 AM

My guess is they've cancelled it because Iraq has shown them that any peasant with a $10 RPG can bring down a helicopter worth $10M.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2004, 04:48 AM

But why replace the Kiowa and Apache?
I'm sure that when the US Army decided upon embarking on a multi-billion dollar r&d program for a new type of helicopter they had a neat list of good reasons why they were doing it.

Go ask them.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2004, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
I'm sure that when the US Army decided upon embarking on a multi-billion dollar r&d program for a new type of helicopter they had a neat list of good reasons why they were doing it.

Go ask them.
Probably top of that list was "The Soviet Union."

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2004, 07:50 AM

Probably top of that list was "The Soviet Union."
I'm not privy to that list so I can't tell you. I'd hope the US Army would have better reasons than 'a country' to make a new helicopter.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Feb 24, 2004, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
My guess is they've cancelled it because Iraq has shown them that any peasant with a $10 RPG can bring down a helicopter worth $10M.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a contributing factor - it must have cost them a lot of credibility.
From BBC News:
Senior army commanders say the decision to cancel the project was in part because of lessons learned in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Link to BBC News story.

Even back in 2002 it was looking sketchy for the project; link to BBC News story from 2nd September 2002.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2004, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by engaged:
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a contributing factor - it must have cost them a lot of credibility.
Link to BBC News story.

Even back in 2002 it was looking sketchy for the project; link to BBC News story from 2nd September 2002.
That BBC article makes no sense to me. The Comanche had much more stealth and armor than Apaches, making it much better suited for the situation in Iraq.

Plus, it goes on to say that "...they decided their priority should be other types of new helicopters..." There aren't any 'new' helicopters that are as far along in develpment as the Comanche. Starting up a new program would just cost billions more.

Most likely, the reason for the cancelation was jobs and money. The Pentagon figured it could take the money it was spending on this one program and spread it out over a few existing programs (like Apache and Black Hawk). This means more jobs for the people in the states where those helos are built (AZ and CT). I mean, it is an election year...right?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2004, 03:16 PM

I think we (the USA) has figured out that we no longer need to worry about someone attacking us with a more advanced piece of electronics (may it be a boat, sub, jet etc.) and need to worry more about guys in semi trucks, commercial airplanes, explosives using gorilla tactics (aka terrorism).

Basically, even our "smart weapons" are too smart/expensive for what is required. We usually carpet bomb with good old WWII style devices.

Our government is still getting over the cold war.

Forum Links
Forum Rules