Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Philips offers 24-bit D/A Lightning-connected headphones for iOS

Philips offers 24-bit D/A Lightning-connected headphones for iOS
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 11, 2014, 11:37 PM

Audio and video equipment maker Philips has debuted a new headphone set for iOS devices that offers a pair of distinct differences: it features 24-bit digital-to-analog conversion and amplification built right within the headphones, and it uses a Lightning connector rather than a standard 3.5mm connector. The Fidelio M2L headphones are said to the first to use the Lightning connector.

First announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference in June, the unit will finally arrive in the US and western Europe in December. A European price of €250 (approx. $323 US) has been announced, but not official US pricing. By using the Lightning port, the headphones' amplifier can be powered by the iOS device, avoiding having to add the weight of batteries to the unit. The port is also said to provide more bandwidth for audio, and the digital interface should also eliminate any crosstalk or other interference, AppleInsider reports.

Beyond its differences, the headphones feature "breathable" leather and memory-foam ear pads. Inside the cups are two 40mm high-magnetic-intensity neodynium speaker drivers. Thanks to the built-in amplifier, the headphones should make even MP3 files sound better, though low-quality files may have their flaws more clearly revealed as well.

In addition to keeping the signal digital until the D/A conversion process, the Lightning connector also allows the headphones to add features, such as being able to communicate directly with an iOS app. A spokesman for the company said that the use of the digital connector allow the unit to "deliver an incredible audio experience today, and also opens up exciting opportunities for innovation for the future."

An example of future interactivity would be an app that could reshape the equalization or amplification of the music based on environmental noise picked up by the iOS device's microphones. Although the Fidelio M2L doesn't offer noise-cancellation, a future model could have its noise-cancelling dynamically react to changes in ambient noise levels. Apple has been rumored to have considered dropping the standard 3.5mm audio connector in future models in favor of a Lightning connector.

One question that remains is the inability of iOS 7 or current iPhones to output true 24-bit sound. The Fidelio M2L may need to wait on the arrival of iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 line in order to offer output that doesn't downsample 24-bit audio, though its unclear if the unit's direct digital connection will simply bypass the built-in iPhone D/A converter in favor of its own.

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2014, 01:17 AM

Cue the iHaters in 3 . . . 2 . . . . 1

We all know it is difficult to let go of a nearly 100 year old standard jack that takes its design from old telephone exchanges (1/4" jack) but I welcome you to think different and move forward. Yes, I know that all your old legacy headphones won't work with the Lightning system but there will be small external converters in the next few months to get by with. iPhones still have an audio jack and will still work with all your old headphones and if you buy some new Lightening headphones, they will work with any Lightning equipped device.

OK now, ignore all the facts and start your ranting and complaining.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2014, 03:31 AM

3.5mm mini jack is used for a LOT more than headphones. And unless it is freely licensed and becomes a de-facto standard, Lightning is not about to become a replacement. Even if it were applicable to all the other uses (which it certainly is not).

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2014, 06:59 AM

@Spheric Wow! Who would have known that Apple would make such a terrible mistake. You need to email Tim and tell him right now so that he can fix the problem and keep things the same while you have a chance to keep the rest of the world static. Also be sure to tell him that he needs to make all the standards for Apple products and technology FREELY LICENSED and be sure to give Samsung a chance to take Apple's lunch money too. Conservatism: stay the course and make no changes; the world must not progress!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2014, 07:26 AM

Excuse me?

Unless you're thinking of making Lightning the standard connector on portable/car stereo equipment (line in/line out) as well as a bunch of voltage control stuff and whatever else, the 3.5 mm minijack isn't going anywhere — for many years to come.

Apple obsoletes and replaces standards all the time, helping them become ubiquitous (killing serial in favour of USB, floppies in place of CDs, optical in place of downloads, etc.). In all those cases, they saw a potential universal replacement that they pushed and that became the industry standard.

In this case, they do not have a replacement for the standard. Nobody other than Apple can/will use Lightning for anything, so the only market is connecting to Apple gear.

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2014, 09:17 AM

@Spheric 'Excuse me' Harlot

Did you take the time to email Tim and let him know that he is 'doing it wrong'? I suspect that you opposed every one of the changes that Apple made over the last 30 years and if you had your way, we would all be in a world where only a few hobbyists would be running DOS and BASIC on 8086 processors in their basements.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 12, 2014, 10:17 AM

Debate is good. Name calling is bad.

Carry on.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post
@Spheric 'Excuse me' Harlot

Did you take the time to email Tim and let him know that he is 'doing it wrong'? I suspect that you opposed every one of the changes that Apple made over the last 30 years and if you had your way, we would all be in a world where only a few hobbyists would be running DOS and BASIC on 8086 processors in their basements.
What is Tim doing wrong? I'm genuinely confused as to what the hell you think you're arguing? All current Apple offerings have a mini jack on them, and all of them (except the Watch) will continue to have mini jacks on them for years to come, I'm sure.

Where are you getting that I or anybody else think anybody is doing anything wrong?

You seem to be saying that the mini jack is going away, that these - NON-APPLE - headphones are an indication of that trend, and I'm merely saying that I think YOU are wrong in that assessment.

All the blathering and blustering in your subsequent posts, I just don't understand.

Forum Links
Forum Rules