Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone doesn't work with parent's WIFI

iPhone doesn't work with parent's WIFI
HamSandwich
Jan 26, 2017, 10:31 AM

Hey everyone,

I have bought a new iPhone 5c... It's my first smartphone, so I'm curious and I don't know many things about it. It doesn't seem to work with the wifi from my parents.

I have an iPad (iPad 4) that connects to my parent's WIFI connection and it does so pretty well. However, the connection is somewhat unstable when you are on a different level in the house. I never bought a Repeater, as I'm there not so often. Now, the iPhone doesn't work at all. I even tried to approach the router/wifi station (same thing) phsyically, but even when I stand next to it, the iPhone WIFI connection doesn't work.

Can I try anything? Do I need to update the settings of the router? I never updated its firmware for two years, or so, so that might be a reason. I could try. But other than that? There aren't so many settings on the iPhone.

Or maybe I am mistaken. It's been a while since I integrated the iPad into the network. Do I need fixed IP addresses? I think I have them everywhere in the house and it helped a lot.

Any ideas?
Greetings,
Peter

Thorzdad
Jan 26, 2017, 12:39 PM

• Make double sure you're using the correct password. Capitals and numerals often trip people up...0 instead of O, for instance.
• Make sure the phone isn't in Airplane Mode.
• Can the phone connect to any other new wifi spots? Go down to a local place that has wifi (and you've never connected to before) and see if you can get on there.

HamSandwich
Jan 27, 2017, 05:20 PM

I will try.

But, is this normal behaviour? In all other situations I tried so far, the iPhone's WIFI just worked perfectly, it's so strange it wouldn't worked when I'm at my parent's house...

andi*pandi
Jan 27, 2017, 05:28 PM

Does the phone not see the network name? Does it see any networks?

Forum Links
Forum Rules