Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Film Competition > Old Film Comp (archive) > "The Catcher in the Rye" (trailer) - #4

"The Catcher in the Rye" (trailer) - #4
urbanmastermind
Nov 20, 2001, 12:19 AM

Seeing that you are able to enter one selection per category I thought that I might take a stab at the trailer category. This is a trailer from our Independent Study last winter. Our 'project' (which eventually turned into an 88 minute film) is a cinematic retelling of J.D. Salinger's masterpiece, 'The Catcher in the Rye' (� 1951). I used Final Cut Pro on my 500Mhz G4.

I adapted the story from the novel, starred as Holden, and directed. You will see many elements carrying over into my other film "Hours Past the Midnight Streak".

The music used in the trailer is Fatboy Slim's 'Right Here, Right Now'.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Catcher in the Rye" is the story of Holden Caulfield's 3 day journey out of prep school and into New York City. It can only be described as a brilliant view into the mind of many 16 year old's across the globe.

"The Catcher in the Rye" trailer
Evan Cook, 17
Minneapolis, MN
Urban Mastermind Productions ()
http://www.urbanmastermind.com/

'The Catcher in the Rye' trailer
(EDIT: I will have to host it at geocities until I fix my linux server-- sometime tomorrow... thanks for the patience.. oh and I fixed the link)

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: urbanmastermind ]

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: urbanmastermind ]

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: urbanmastermind ]

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: urbanmastermind ]

urbanmastermind  (op)
Nov 24, 2001, 01:45 PM

Okay the server is fixed and working like a charm yet again...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Catcher in the Rye" is the story of Holden Caulfield's 3 day journey out of prep school and into New York City. It can only be described as a brilliant view into the mind of many 16 year old's across the globe.

"The Catcher in the Rye" trailer
Evan Cook, 17
Minneapolis, MN
Urban Mastermind Productions
http://www.urbanmastermind.com

'The Catcher in the Rye' trailer

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2001, 03:29 PM

You have the full movie?
My roommate's are interested, as am I.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

btober
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2001, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
<STRONG>You have the full movie?
My roommate's are interested, as am I.</STRONG>
I second that!
«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

urbanmastermind  (op)
Nov 26, 2001, 09:20 PM

Yes I have the full production.

Yes, I could technically let you view the whole film....

But, legally, I can't.....

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:22:37
From: "Harold Ober Associates, Inc." &lt;[email protected]&gt;
To: "Evan Cook" &lt;[email protected]&gt;
Subject: J.D. Salinger/ 'The Catcher in the Rye'

Dear Mr. Cook,

We are the literary representatives of J.D. Salinger.

Please be advised that Mr. Salinger never grants permission for the reprinting of his work in any form and is on record as someone who vigorously pursues all legal avenues available to protect his legal rights. Further production and distribution of your film entitled 'The Catcher in the Rye' is a flagrant violation of Mr. Salinger's copyright and must be stopped.

Although, any posting regarding the novel is generally considered an offense, I am happy to inform you that Mr. Salinger has reviewed your current posted work and gave me the go ahead to allow you to keep it posted on your website.

I trust you will see this for the great leap of faith that it is and respect Mr. Salinger's wishes to cease production and distribution.

Keep up the good work, it truly does look great.

Sincerely,

Chris Byrne
Harold Ober Associates Incorporated
There it is. Plain as day. Plus the compressed version of the project is well over a gig. And well, that's quite a long download.

I am happy to answer any further questions if you have any. And I would love to hear what you think about the trailer.

peace,
Evan

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2001, 10:16 PM

So we can't watch it?
How about, I give you cash, you give him some cash, he shuts up

I enjoyed it very much.
I've got a T3 here, a 1GB DL won't take a really long time
My website

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 26, 2001, 10:22 PM

salinger is a super recluse. and he's looked at some of your work. i'd consider that pretty cool.

urbanmastermind  (op)
Nov 26, 2001, 10:29 PM

Let's just say this:

I never complained about ceasing production

Yes, the dl may not be long with the T3, but a 1.3 GB (even with my cable modem) upload to my server would not be very much fun, now would it?

Thanks for the comments, it's one of my favorite pieces, just because the music fits with the images.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 26, 2001, 10:55 PM

So it won't come to viewers everywhere?
Darn. You've got at least three people here who wouldn't mind seeing it.
Oh well

I really do like it though.
My website

urbanmastermind  (op)
Nov 26, 2001, 11:01 PM

Maybe.. Someday when he passes away I can convince the heir to his copyright to let me make it into a feature film... Oh god, that would be the happiest day of my life

But until then the fact that 'The Catcher in the Rye' is not a true feature film makes me well....

peace,
Evan

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 26, 2001, 11:08 PM

entry up.

urbanmastermind  (op)
Nov 26, 2001, 11:12 PM

Thanks for all the hard work demonhood.

And not to be a know-it-all or anything like that... But, if you're interested I posted a medium quality link for 'Hours Past the Midnight Streak"...

peace,
Evan

Zipster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2001, 12:43 PM

I hate to be a skeptical a**hole, but I�m not sure I believe urbanmastermind here. I�m convinced the email from Chris Bryce is a fabrication for several reasons:

1. As stated before, JD Salinger is a notorious recluse that defends his copyrights to the point of mania. I am not aware of any lapse in this policy, ever, in any form or medium. While urbanmastermind does very good work, I don�t believe that it rises to the level of genius and creative breakthrough that would cause Mr. Salinger to do an about-face on past stances.

2. Considering the above, I firmly believe that if Mr. Salinger did find this work so important that a �leap of faith� was taken, I think there would have been some press about it.

3. The oddly worded and grammatically incorrect third paragraph (and everything that follows) does not reflect the carefully worded �legalese� of the first and second paragraph. I would think that a literary agent accustomed to sending out email�s on behalf of one of the greatest modern writers would know where to place his commas.

4. The headers are surprisingly similar to, and the first two paragraphs are exact duplicates of, an email (quoted below) sent by Chris Byrne to Luke Seeman in reference to the Holden Server, an early internet legend (http://www.stardot.com/~lukeseem/holden/). It�s VERY suspect that two emails, supposedly sent five years apart, would be so similar.

5. Harold Ober Associates email address uniformly carry the �@haroldober.com� suffix, and have done so for quite a while. This kind of email most likely would not be sent from a personal account, although in 1996, it�s very likely they did not have the haroldober.com domain registered.

I�m not trying to be a di*k, I just think urbanmastermind, while a gifted film maker, is doing a bit of self-aggrandizing here. His work is good, but it ain�t change ~40 years of J.D. Salinger paranoia good.

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 12:09:46 -0400
From: "Harold Ober Associates, Inc." &lt;[email protected]&gt;
To: [email protected]
Subject: J.D. Salinger

Dear Mr. Seemann,

We are the literary representatives of J.D. Salinger.

Please be advised that Mr. Salinger never grants permission for the reprinting of his work in any form and is on record as someone who vigorously pursues all legal avenues available to protect his legal rights. The Holden Server is a flagrant violation of Mr. Salinger's copyright and should be shut down.

Sincerely,

Chris Byrne
Harold Ober Associates Incorporated
[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Zipster ]

urbanmastermind  (op)
Dec 4, 2001, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Zipster:
<STRONG>I hate to be a skeptical a**hole, but I�m not sure I believe urbanmastermind here. I�m convinced the email from Chris Bryce (I think MR. BYRNE would appreciate his named spelled correctly) is a fabrication for several reasons:

1. As stated before, JD Salinger is a notorious recluse that defends his copyrights to the point of mania. I am not aware of any lapse in this policy, ever, in any form or medium. While urbanmastermind does very good work, I don�t believe that it rises to the level of genius and creative breakthrough that would cause Mr. Salinger to do an about-face on past stances.
[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Zipster ]</STRONG>
First off, I don't know why J.D. Salinger had this leap of faith. But I do know that he has a bit of a soft spot for kids and not at all for adults. An example of this can be seen in the interview he did for a High School newspaper in the 1970's.
<STRONG>2. Considering the above, I firmly believe that if Mr. Salinger did find this work so important that a �leap of faith� was taken, I think there would have been some press about it.
Press? Yes, because, I, a seventeen year old filmmaker from Minnesota, would LOVE to tell the whole world of the fact that J.D. Salinger let me keep my work up. That would really make him a happy camper.
Making it a media circus would be the last thing that Mr. Salinger would want/allow. So I respected his wishes, naturally.

<STRONG>3. The oddly worded and grammatically incorrect third paragraph (and everything that follows) does not reflect the carefully worded �legalese� of the first and second paragraph. I would think that a literary agent accustomed to sending out email�s on behalf of one of the greatest modern writers would know where to place his commas.

4. The headers are surprisingly similar to, and the first two paragraphs are exact duplicates of, an email (quoted below) sent by Chris Byrne to Luke Seeman in reference to the Holden Server, an early internet legend (http://www.stardot.com/~lukeseem/holden/). It�s VERY suspect that two emails, supposedly sent five years apart, would be so similar.

5. Harold Ober Associates email address uniformly carry the �@haroldober.com� suffix, and have done so for quite a while. This kind of email most likely would not be sent from a personal account, although in 1996, it�s very likely they did not have the haroldober.com domain registered.
RE 3-5: The response I received is a standard 'cease and desist' response that Harold Ober Associates uses for all of the writers the represent. I know this because, I, like you, first did not believe that this was true. After all, I also assumed that it would carry a "@haroldober.com" suffix. So I quickly responded to the e-mail questioning its validity, and, as Mr. Seeman did, received no response. Now mind you, I received the letter on a Friday, so I assumed that I would have to wait until after the weekend. But then, the next day, the owner of my ISP (also a good friend of mine, Nathan Schlutter) received a similar e-mail explaining the situation that was at hand. I was immediately shocked by the similarities between what was happening to me and what had happened to Mr. Seeman. But, I still failed to believe that this was true, it could simply be an elaborate hoax. So, my next step was contacting Harold Ober Associates in New York (a number I still have on a post-it note on the bulliten board in front of me: 212-759-8600) and then proceeding to personally talk to Mr. Byrne. We had a long conversation about the details above, and he assured me that it was indeed true and that the fact I received no response was due to his personal mail settings at his home being set to receive e-mails only from certain servers to prevent him from falling victim to spam. Now I can't speak for grammatical errors or likeliness of him sending me e-mails from work, but, I know what I received, and I know that I called Harold Ober Associates in New York and spoke to Mr. Byrne (I got grounded for the long distance charges ). So what you believe is your choice, but I will defend what I know. Hope that I cleared this up.

I'm glad you think I'm a good filmmaker (even for a 17 year old), and I really look forward to your response.

Sincerely,
Evan Cook
[email protected]

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: urbanmastermind ]

Zipster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2001, 06:03 PM

Dude.

If there was even any doubt that you are a 17 year old kid- it has evaporated.

I don't know why I care. Perhaps because I am a fan of JD Saliger and was a huge fan of the Holden server. I called Harold Ober, and not only has Chris Bryne not worked there for at least a year (possibly longer, it has been long enough that the woman I talked to couldn't remember how long he'd been gone), but the woman currently handling Mr. Salinger's interests was flabbergasted and vehemently denied your tale.

You make good films, but you're a lousy liar.

urbanmastermind  (op)
Dec 4, 2001, 06:06 PM

One of us is lying and, well, it's not me.
http://www.nku.edu/~diesmanj/notification.html

Zipster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2001, 06:15 PM

Not sure what the point of that post was. If you're pointing to that letter giving some creedence to your story...

The text is not the same

It was sent more than 2 years ago (I assume this was when Chris Bryne was still working there)

I'm not going to get into a pissing conteat with you. Anyone that doesn't beleive me- call Karen at Harold Ober (212) 759-8600 or send her an email, [email protected].

I'm done.

Originally posted by urbanmastermind:
<STRONG>One of us is lying and, well, it's not me.
http://www.nku.edu/~diesmanj/notification.html

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: urbanmastermind ]</STRONG>

Zipster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2001, 06:41 PM

I did lie about one thing- being done. You will note from the whois below that haroldober.com was not registered until 5/99. This explains why the Langston Hughes email and Luke Seeman email (sent in '98 and '96 respectively) came from [email protected].

It also explains why your cut and paste love fest from Mr. Salinger has that address. You did enough research to create a phony email to fool the gullible, but not, in fact, and accurate one.

Karen has left for the night. However, were I MacNN, I'd go ahead and pull the trailer. Beat the inevitable cease and desist to the punch.

Registrant:
Harold Ober Associates (HAROLDOBER-DOM)
425 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10017
US

Domain Name: HAROLDOBER.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Network Administration (NA291-ORG) [email protected]
New York Connect
317 Madison Ave
New York, NY 10017
US
212-293-2620
Fax- 212-293-2628
Billing Contact:
Tenney, Craig (CTP242) [email protected]
Harold Ober Associates
425 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10017
US
212-759-8600 212-759-9428

Record last updated on 05-Oct-2001.
Record expires on 11-May-2003.
Record created on 11-May-1999.
Database last updated on 4-Dec-2001 05:06:00 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

BSD1.NYCT.NET 216.139.128.3
BSD2.NYCT.NET 204.141.86.4

Zipster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2001, 11:35 PM

Another wrinkle.

from a log on urbanmastermind's website

too long... 7/20/01 13:16:57

Secondly, we'd like to talk about the future of "The Catcher in the Rye". Unfortunetly, we have recently recieved a "Cease and Desist" order from J.D. Salinger's lawyer stating that further production is "infringement of copyright laws" and we must stop further work on the project "immediatley". So, folks, we are sorry. But once again there is nothing that we can do. So appreciate what you have gotten, We all know we have, it's a project that we all hold dear to our hearts and will never die. And maybe, just maybe, if you're lucky a private showing of what does exist may be arranged.
Note the date, 7/20/01. His "email" from Mr. Byrne is dated 7/27/01. Did you get the orginal "Cease and Desist" from Mistress Cleo?

He also quotes the passage from Mr. Salinger's "lawyer" that the film is an "infringement of copyright laws" that must be stopped "immediately"

1. Mr. Bryne, in his fantasy email, never claimed to be a lawyer.
2. None of the "quotes" are in the email. None.

You are so full of crap.

I watched both your clips again. You are good. I'm keeping a copy of this thread and the bits on your website so I'll have a story to sell the tabloids when you become famous.

"Wunderkind director caught in Salinger scandal"

What a headline.

What an insecure, lying dipsh*t.

rufusg6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2001, 09:19 AM

Zipster-

Give the guy a break. Two things to think about:

1. If he did, in fact, fabricate the email, you don't know his reasons. It may not be ego, insecurity or "self-aggrandizing"- there may be more to it. He may be telling the truth. But it's kind of irrelevant, because...

2. This is a film competition- nothing else. Judge the guy on his work.

Rufus

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2001, 01:10 AM

he he he, does this mean that I win? (just kidding)

urbanmastermind  (op)
Dec 10, 2001, 07:00 PM

Recieved 12/10/01:
Dear Mr. Cook,

I�m responding to your e-mail of December 4 to my assistant Karen.

We were contacted by someone who stated that there was film adaptation of THE CATCHER IN THE RYE by J.D. Salinger on your website and that the film was entered in a �film festival� at http://fourms.macnn.com.

I apologize but Harold Ober Associates can no longer grant you permission to adapt, display or in any way use THE CATCHER IN THE RYE or any other work by J.D. Salinger.

Unauthorized use of Mr. Salinger�s work is an infringement of his copyright. Please promptly remove your film adaptation of THE CATCHER IN THE RYE from any and all sites and make no further use of it.

Sincerely,
Phyllis Westberg
President
Harold Ober Associates

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 10, 2001, 07:17 PM

that a hint? why wouldn't they contact me though?
just reply to this and i'll remove it. tis easily done.

Cliff Corner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 08:02 PM

What a mess. I'm not going to even try to understand what the hell is going on here anymore.
-cak

urbanmastermind  (op)
Dec 10, 2001, 08:21 PM

Check your PM's Demonhood.

If you want to ask me any questions I am completely and 100% open to any of them via PM's, e-mail ( [email protected] ) or here.

suburbanmastermind
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2002, 03:17 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ZIPSTER IS GOD! This is one of the funniest things I have read in such a long time. I have never seen someone so caught in a lie in my entire life. Some of my personal favorite quotes of the night:

"Anyone that doesn't beleive me- call Karen at Harold Ober (212) 759-8600 or send her an email, [email protected]." -Using his fake facts against him LOVE IT!

"It also explains why your cut and paste love fest from Mr. Salinger has that address." -HAHAHA cut and paste love fest, Zipster, you are a wizard of the wit.

"Note the date, 7/20/01. His "email" from Mr. Byrne is dated 7/27/01. Did you get the orginal "Cease and Desist" from Mistress Cleo?" -BUSTED!

Zipster, you should PM or email me, cause I'd love to ask you a few things about all this.

Good evening everyone. Don't you feel like a sh*thead Mr. Cook?

P.S. There is no 88 Minute feature is there Mastermind? I thought so...

<small>[ 06-08-2002, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: suburbanmastermind ]</small>

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 10, 2002, 08:38 PM

no need for this bickering. especially since it isn't an entry in the competition.

*click*

Forum Links
Forum Rules