Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Film Competition > Old Film Comp (archive) > 2000-2001 Ski Video - #2

2000-2001 Ski Video - #2
jwardell
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2001, 07:55 PM

2000-2001 Ski Video: Sunday River and Credits

19.1 MB, 5min 30sec

This movie is actually the last chapter and the credits portion of the entire ski video. It is my home video of last winter's ski trips with friends edited to music (not necesarily a music video). I edited it throughout the winter and when I started had no experience, so this last chapter shows the best shooting and editing. Included music in this version is Kenny Loggins: Danger Zone and BT and Matthew Doughty: Never Gonna Come Back Down.

If you are bored and want to watch the complete version or check out my other videos, they are hosted on my DSL here. However this link will go down early december as I will be moving.

Thanks.
-Josh

jwardell  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2001, 04:11 AM

As instructed, I should note this uses Sorenson 3. Final Cut was the only application used.

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 26, 2001, 09:58 PM

entry up.

jwardell  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2002, 02:13 PM

CRIT PLEASE - If anyone has any comments they would be appreciated, I will be starting editing of this year's ski video soon! Thanks.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 26, 2002, 09:21 PM

Hi,

I liked your video, and I had a great long critique of it, which got lost when the browser window died. I'll try and give the same comments, although with less detail:

Shaky Camera. This technique seems very out of place with regard to the rest of the movie. The rest of the movie seems very professional and tight. Shaky camera would have been left on the cutting room floor had it been me.

Film Speed. The whole footage runs at the same speed except for the one section with the slow skiers in the background coming down the hill to the foreground. Instead of speeding it up to get the skiers down the hill, cut the film into threes, and have shot in the background, shot with the skiers in mid-field, and skiers in foreground. That way, you speed up their progression without breaking the flow of the film. Speeding up the film speed was what really made this harder to watch- it would have been near perfect without it.

Be careful with zoom- it's easier to be shaky when zoomed in. Some of the zoom shots, like the mirrored goggles, would have worked just as well or better as still frames.

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: vmarks ]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

jwardell  (op)
Forum Regular
May 7, 2002, 03:27 AM

Thanks (sorry you lost the first version).
That particular scene was actually shot by my father and may be why it was noticably different from the rest. It was so long you may notice I DID in fact split it into thirds (in a addition to speeding it up). I should have just left it on the floor tho, I just didn't have the heart.
Any other comments, anyone? You may want to watch the whole thing if you enjoyed that part: http://jwardell.myftp.org/video/

Forum Links
Forum Rules