Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV Serieseseseses

TV Serieseseseses
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2014, 03:26 PM

I was sure that there was a generic TV series thread, but I couldn't find it.

Waiting for Game of Thrones to finish before watching it (read the books but I want to see the series anyway).

Just finished the second season of Longmire - great series.

I've got (and not yet watched) :

American Horror Story
Vikings
Hannibal
the five seasons of Breaking Bad

I've heard good things about True Detective as well.

What series should I start watching next?

andi*pandi
May 28, 2014, 03:35 PM

Orphan Black.

I liked the first season of Longmire, maybe it's time to reup to netflix for a bit.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Orphan Black.

I liked the first season of Longmire, maybe it's time to reup to netflix for a bit.
Getting, cheers

reader50
Administrator
May 28, 2014, 04:10 PM

Is this limited to current or recent serieses? Or are older recommendations welcome too, like Firefly or Charmed?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2014, 04:12 PM

The Mrs. and I have just started watching Vikings. Everyone we know around here seems to love.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2014, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Is this limited to current or recent serieses? Or are older recommendations welcome too, like Firefly or Charmed?
More current or recent stuff would be appreciated. As a cutoff, shall we say last five years?

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The Mrs. and I have just started watching Vikings. Everyone we know around here seems to love.
I've heard great things about it as well (actually started the first episode just after writing this thread). Wikipedia says that there will be third season.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2014, 06:21 PM

Fargo.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2014, 07:08 PM

The Wire.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 28, 2014, 08:24 PM

Fargo
True Detective
Sherlock
Luther
Mad Men

andi*pandi
May 28, 2014, 08:36 PM

I watched one episode of Fargo, and said, well, that was well done, but then somehow I never wanted to watch another episode.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 28, 2014, 08:44 PM

I'm really enjoying Fargo. The movie is tied at #1 for my favorites of all-time so I was nervous about the series being a fail. I was impressed with how well the TV series captured the same feel as the movie. Coen Bros are great.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 28, 2014, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The Wire.
I just finished season 3 last week. It's way out of the "last 5 years" rule but it's awesome because the 4:3 ratio fits my iPad perfectly.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2014, 09:39 PM

I started Breaking Bad about 3 weeks back. Almost done now, finishing up Season 5.

Watching a whole series in one sitting is much more gratifying. Glad I waited.

-t

Thorzdad
May 29, 2014, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I watched one episode of Fargo, and said, well, that was well done, but then somehow I never wanted to watch another episode.
That's easy to believe.
I've been watching it and enjoying it, but it's pretty easy to ignore as well. I often find myself remembering at the last minute that it's on. It's a bit like Mad Men, in that it's an hour where not a lot seems to happen, but a lot does happen. Honestly, though, it's worth watching just for Billy Bob Thornton's performance.

I agree with your recommendation of Orphan Black.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2014, 08:59 AM

Did four episodes of Vikings last night. Enjoying it.

SO many recommendations for The Wire over the years, I shall get hold of it.

Sherlock was brilliant, although I haven't seen the episodes from S3 yet.
Luther was good at first (till E4), guess I should force myself to carry on.
Mad Men isn't really my thing.
I'll look into Fargo.
True Detective being gotten as I write.

Cheers.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2014, 09:29 AM

I disagree with Turtle on that viewpoint; I am convinced that shows are ultimately better on a slower schedule rather than an all-at-once feast. The buffet gives immediate gratification, but leaves no time to really think about the hour you just watched. As a general rule all the great shows require some internal digestion from the viewer, and the Netflix Strategy does not allow for that. I believe that shows like House of Cards ultimately suffer because of it (although I would categorize House of Cards as merely good and extremely well-produced, but certainly not great). So I guess I would suggest that you should not wait for shows to end before starting to watch them.

With that out of the way, in my humble order of excellence and relevance:

1. Breaking Bad - obviously.
1. The Sopranos (if you have not seen - still extremely great).
1. The Wire.
1. Mad Men - first half of the final season just ended last Sunday; the last 7 episodes air next spring...in my opinion these first four shows are the most dominant and best dramas in the history of television, assuming that Mad Men ends as excellently as it has been crafted thus far.

2. The Americans (extremely recommended - just finished an excellent season 2...as with any show in the first couple seasons, you run the risk that it goes south fast - see: Homeland - but it has been consistently great thus far).

3. Hannibal - I have seen a couple episodes and people whose opinion I absolutely trust constantly confirm that this show is excellent. Unfortunately...I am squishy American cheese when it comes to graphic ultraviolence, and I couldn't put myself through entire seasons of Hannibal Lector's extremely creative human buffets.

4. Game of Thrones - likely the most entertaining narrative and show of the crop; also the least likely to provide social commentary actually relevant to, you know, anyone or anything in your life (which is a key ingredient of what makes every other show in this post so damn good). But extremely good production, entertainment factor is off the charts, and by far the best fantasy/sci-fi television show to date.

5. Louie - the world's greatest stand-up comedian is an auteur. This show is likely not for everyone, but is by turns hilarious, sad, touching, profound, and deliberately stupid and/or unfunny commentary on life - all of which you will find yourself randomly thinking about weeks or years later.

6. True Detective - the first season was really interesting, quite good and worth seeing. I understand that each season is a stand-alone event (no carry-over of main characters), so worth viewing season 1 even if future seasons go off the rails.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2014, 09:47 AM

Other options you may have heard of:

1. The Bridge - first season 2013 - started great, very interesting, then really lost its way for a while in a ludicrous plot, then seemed to make a bit of a comeback. Worth seeing if you've plowed through the above shows, but whether it's worth it to become invested seems dependent on what happens in the second season. Also: I have heard that people in the locality of the show describe it as a mischaracterization; I have no idea about that.

2. Boardwalk Empire - interesting period piece, with a frustrating habit of focusing on the wrong plot lines and flat/uninteresting characters, and killing off or removing the best characters that have actual narrative arcs. The last season was actually one of the best - and then it ended with the best and most interesting character being removed. I cursed loudly and with great vigour.

3. Homeland - Season 1 was completely and utterly excellent. Then it went off the rails; season 2 was frustrating, and the recent season 3 almost made me want to stop watching. The creators had an excellent original idea, but then they seemed to ruin it.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2014, 09:49 AM

Shit, I forgot about Black Mirror. British TV show. Really, really good. First episode may freak you right out.

akent35
Banned
May 29, 2014, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I was sure that there was a generic TV series thread, but I couldn't find it.

Waiting for Game of Thrones to finish before watching it (read the books but I want to see the series anyway).

Just finished the second season of Longmire - great series.

I've got (and not yet watched) :

American Horror Story
Vikings
Hannibal
the five seasons of Breaking Bad

I've heard good things about True Detective as well.

What series should I start watching next?
Yeah, I actually started one earlier this month:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...etwork-series/

In any event, here are the ones I am currently, recently, and previously enjoyed:

1. The Americans - My favorite. Season 2 just finished last week, and it was a cliff hanger! Matthew Rhys fits his part perfectly! (I'm truly amazed that even with his distinct Wales accent, that he speaks "American" English flawlessly in the series).

2. The Following - Season 2 completed last month.

3. Mad Men - the first half of the last season completed just this past Sunday. The other half will air next year.

4. Fargo - Only 3 episodes left, and I'm hooked!

5. he Bridge - Season 2 premieres Wedneeday, July 9th. Season 1 was awesome! The way Demián Bichir and Diane Kruger interacted was priceless. And, Ted Levine, aka Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb from "The Silence of The Lambs", is very good as the police lieutenant.

6. House of Cards - Not exactly a "TV Series", but still real, real good. Kevin Spacey at his best!

7. Big Love - Interesting take of polygamy. Bill Paxton was real good!

8. The Sopranos - No need to comment on this classic.

9. The Killing (American version) - Really liked Seasons 1 & 2, and especially since it took place in Seattle (only 20 miles from where I live)!

One that I have to watch is "Justified". One of my friends raves about it. I have the first 5 seasons, and so I'll take the time to watch it. And, I'll also have to try and get a hold of "Breaking Bad".

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2014, 12:18 PM

I'll second Justified. Wildly underrated.

akent35
Banned
May 29, 2014, 12:50 PM

"The Americans (extremely recommended - just finished an excellent season 2...as with any show in the first couple seasons, you run the risk that it goes south fast - see: Homeland - but it has been consistently great thus far)."

Well said, ShortcutToMoncton. Just like you stated, Season 2 was just as good as Season 1. And, it helps that Matthew Rhys, Kerri Russell, and Noah Emmerich each fit their parts perfectly! (There are other actors in the show that also do a superb job).

It's interesting that Season 1 premiered in late January 2013, but Season 2 did not start until late February. But, that late start makes sense, given that the Sochi Olympics ended the prior Sunday. Smart move by FX! Wonder when Season 3 will start?

I hope what you said is also true for another excellent FX series, The Bridge. Like The Americans, it is well done, and Season 1 was super. Hope Season 2 keeps it going.

Rumor
May 29, 2014, 01:22 PM

I've been watching Arrow. Only two seasons are out though. The third hasn't started yet.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2014, 01:43 PM

Well, I do have a differing opinion about The Bridge - I thought that entire plot with the

turned out to be somewhat stupid and a total waste of time. That was almost half the first season, right there.

But the mystery and the characters in the first 4 or 6 episodes and the last couple episodes were actually super interesting and the source of the best television in the first season. I hope they are able to flesh out what makes those episodes so good, and don't lose their way trying to shoehorn in another silly "sinister super villain" plotline.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2014, 01:50 PM

Also, I have to give Game of Thrones the "Most Incredibly Long and Skipped Intro" award.

It's like, 3 full minutes or something insane like that...long by movie standards, let alone dozens-of-episodes standards. Brutal.

reader50
Administrator
May 29, 2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Also, I have to give Game of Thrones the "Most Incredibly Long and Skipped Intro" award.
Note that the intro is not identical. It changes from ep to ep, showing the places that episode will visit.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
More current or recent stuff would be appreciated. As a cutoff, shall we say last five years?
If you have never watched Battlestar Galactica (the new version) get thee out there and watch it. It ended about 5 years ago. During its run, it was the best show on TV, as talked about as GoT today.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 29, 2014, 02:25 PM

Orphan Black is definitely on my shortlist of series to get around to.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2014, 02:50 PM

Note that the intro is not identical. It changes from ep to ep, showing the places that episode will visit.
Yes, I suppose that's probably helpful to people who haven't read the books.

If you have never watched Battlestar Galactica (the new version) get thee out there and watch it. It ended about 5 years ago. During its run, it was the best show on TV, as talked about as GoT today.
This I disagree with, if only because of hindsight. The first two seasons were epic; the last two were "not terrible" but not good, either. Like Lost, I felt forced to hate-watch to the end because of time invested and hope of a turnaround, but ultimately would have been happier if I'd just stopped watching when it started to suck.

As such, I personally don't recommend shows that trailed off badly, even if they were initially great (see also: Homeland)...

akent35
Banned
May 29, 2014, 02:53 PM

Well, I do have a differing opinion about The Bridge - I thought that entire plot with the

turned out to be somewhat stupid and a total waste of time. That was almost half the first season, right there.

But the mystery and the characters in the first 4 or 6 episodes and the last couple episodes were actually super interesting and the source of the best television in the first season. I hope they are able to flesh out what makes those episodes so good, and don't lose their way trying to shoehorn in another silly "sinister super villain" plotline.
I think that business about turning off and on the lights just added to the mystery. In any event, the premise of Season 2 is that both Sonya Cross (Diane Kruger) and Marco Ruiz (Damian Bichir) are reunited on a case involving a murdered drug cartel member. I suspect it will have quite a bit of twists and turns, like Season 1.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2014, 03:09 PM

Watched as much Battlestar Galactica as I could stand. Homeland was good for about 8 or 9 episodes and then sucked. Tried watching Arrow, but didn't even make it to the end of the first episode.

Fussy? Me?

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 29, 2014, 05:05 PM

I liked Season 1 of The Americans but have not seen past episode 3 of season 2. I'll pick it back up based on these recommendations.

Another show I got into was Turn on AMC. I saw the first 3 but again have slacked off. I enjoyed the first 3 and am gonna pick that up again as well.

AMC has another interesting show: Halt And Catch Fire. The first episode was available for streaming, but it doesn't officially premiere until June. First episode had a lot of potential and got me hooked. It also has the main character from Pushing Daisies which I thought was a gem network television never fully realized.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 29, 2014, 06:16 PM

So much win in this thread, and I haven't seen half of what's been mentioned.

But yeah, Breaking Bad, Orphan Black, BSG, Fargo, Black Mirror, Sherlock, Pushing Daisies, all good stuff. I haven't seen the remake of The Bridge, but I've seen both of the original Sweden/Denmark based series.

To add some more Scandi / European stuff.. The Returned/Les Revenants (French, US Series 'Resurrection' is based on it),Salamander (Belgian, political, starts slow but gets interesting) and currently part way through Mammon (Norwegian).

The Blacklist is also a good one.
( Last edited by ajprice; May 30, 2014 at 01:39 AM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

gradient
Mac Elite
May 29, 2014, 06:46 PM

Lots of great shows mentioned here, but if you want something that's just pure badassery: BANSHEE.

Rumor
May 29, 2014, 09:16 PM

I still haven't seen a single episode of BSG.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2014, 02:08 PM

Watched the first couple episodes of Orphan Black and while the premise was cool, I did not like the direction or acting......pretty much every scene feels like a set piece. When combined with a bit of a stilted script and plot, it just doesn't feel as well-crafted as the greats.

akent35
Banned
May 31, 2014, 06:03 PM

Three new series will be starting soon. They are:

Power - Premieres Saturday, June 7th on Starz

Tyrant - Premieres Tuesday, June 24th (one week after Fargo completes) on FX

The Strain - Premieres Sunday, July 13th on FX

Also, there will be a Season 4 of The Killing, but it will only be available on Netflix, starting August 1st. In any event, the storyline is that the murder of a respected family leads Detectives Linden (Mareille Enos) and Holder (Joel Kinnaman) to an all boys military academy. Hopefully, it will be as good as Seasons 1 & 2.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2014, 06:04 PM

Watched the third episode......will go so far as to say it's kind of bad.

akent35
Banned
Jun 2, 2014, 12:21 PM

Watched the first episode of "Halt and Catch Fire" on AMC last night, and so far, I like what I see. Also just saw on Yahoo that the lead character, Joe MacMillan (played by Lee Pace), is being compared to Don Draper of "Mad Men". Here's the clip from Yahoo:

https://tv.yahoo.com/tv-in-no-time/d...094028601.html
( Last edited by akent35; Jun 2, 2014 at 12:38 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2014, 08:12 AM

Sigh...finished the 5th episode of Orphan Black and I'm getting to that point where I either need to commit or get off the can.

It's not a great show. The premise is very interesting; it's also nice to see lots of shots of Toronto and old stomping grounds. But the acting isn't great, scenes often feel like staged set pieces, the script regularly feels quite stilted, and the plot can seem extremely forced and/or obvious.

Basically, we started and kept watching to this point because we had some down time, Mad Men and The Americans just ended, and Game of Thrones had an off week last week. But we don't generally watch more than 3 hours of TV a week...I don't see Orphan Black making the cut based on interesting premise alone.

Also, forgot to mention Orange is the New Black. I don't think anyone has suggested it yet?! Another Netflix exclusive and the second season begins this week. I wasn't sold on the first season at the start, but it ended up being surprisingly enjoyable and I would definitely recommend it as a series option.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2014, 05:54 PM

Season 1 of Vikings finished. Enjoyed it, I'll be starting S2.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2014, 08:30 AM

I've thought about trying Vikings, but I've actually never liked any TV show that was a re-imagining of True Events. I don't know why...it has to either be fictional, or more or less non-fictional. Generally well-regarded shows like Rome I couldn't take for more than the first few episodes.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2014, 09:17 AM

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2014, 11:21 AM

Also, forgot to mention Orange is the New Black. I don't think anyone has suggested it yet?! Another Netflix exclusive and the second season begins this week. I wasn't sold on the first season at the start, but it ended up being surprisingly enjoyable and I would definitely recommend it as a series option.
Since I checked and didn't see anyone else recommend it - and a couple people have mentioned to me recently that season 2 is released this week - I'm going to double down on Orange is the New Black. Mostly because I'm curious to see what you'll think of it.

After having some conversations about the first season and thinking about it a little more, I'm clarifying my above rating from "surprisingly enjoyable" to "really very good". It was really not like anything I've seen before in terms of some of the subject matter, execution, and the surprising depth of the supporting cast (which was probably more interesting than the main character in many respects).

andi*pandi
Jun 5, 2014, 11:27 AM

I really enjoyed Orange is the New Black as well.

The second season of Orphan Black is turning a bit silly, but then I like that it's not relentlessly serious (hi fringe, yes you.)

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2014, 01:35 PM

That is exactly what I did not need to hear and feared might happen given the production thus far. I think we might end up pulling the plug based on the five episodes we have watched.

andi*pandi
Jun 7, 2014, 10:34 PM

Vikings: really good. Almost done with Season 1. Not sure if it's the novelty, but I like seeing where it's going. Gotta say though, that Gabriel Byrnes' cutthroat earl almost makes you appreciate the relative mildness of modern day politicians.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2014, 06:55 AM

Penny Dreadful.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2014, 10:00 AM

You really need to watch Breaking Bad 2-4 times all the way through. Lots of subtle stuff. Set decoration and such are top notch.
Even after 4 watchings, Tuco and "Jack and the Nazi's" are really scary.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2014, 08:46 AM

Watched the first episode of True Detective last night.

Excellent. Heavy. Dripping with atmosphere. The photography is so well done. And Matt McConaughey is brilliant. Harrelson is great as well, but McConaughey ...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2014, 09:53 AM

TD is probably the only thing that comes close to Game of Thrones for excellence just now.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2014, 09:55 AM

Yeah, I think you'll like the season. I actually liked Harrelson better overall for various reasons, but we can discuss when you're more into it. As I mentioned, my understanding is that each season is a stand-alone one, and I really like that idea.

Re: Orphan Black....I made it to the end of the first season and then gave up, even though it was a bit of a cliffhanger segue to S2. I just don't get, and the show does not explain, why

Forum Links
Forum Rules