Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Fine-tuning the iBook

Fine-tuning the iBook
funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2001, 12:25 PM

What has everyone done to make their iBook a better/faster/more efficient machine? I was going through cleaning the hard drive a bit, and I noticed that an EarthLink internet setup guide is in the Applications (Mac OS 9) folder, and it eats up over 100MB of disk space! That's getting trashed...

lakermrb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2001, 12:50 PM

I have put my IE browser on a RAM disk on the desktop and it speeds up my online time. Set it in your memory control panel to save the contents on shutdown. You'll need enough RAM. I have 192 MB; the modules not are cheap and easily plug in. I set the RAM disk to 25 MB and have about 7 MB of extra space. I put the browser, the cache, and the pugins into the RAM disk. You will need to go into your browser preferences and choose the RAM disk as the place for your cache. I set my cache at 10 MB, which appears adequate, though I have not experimented with it to find the best size. Be sure to set your application memory before copying your browser into the RAM disk. Once there, you cannot change it. You will have to trash it, change the memory on your harddrive, and copy and new one into the RAM disk.

graphics84
Senior User
Aug 15, 2001, 01:47 PM

I went through all the mp3s that came on the drive and got rid of the crap...

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2001, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by graphics84:
<STRONG>I went through all the mp3s that came on the drive and got rid of the crap...</STRONG>
PLEASE keep the tips coming folks, I'm waiting for the truck to pull up as I type this with my new ibook! It's due here any second now. Any and all tips are truly appreciated!

<rampant>
Aug 15, 2001, 07:10 PM

as soon as you get it, pull out the power cord, and set the energy saver preferences to "max performance" and "Better processor speed".

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2001, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by graphics84:
<STRONG>I went through all the mp3s that came on the drive and got rid of the crap...</STRONG>
I was considering doing this too. However, I happened to look at a little web page that's included on the iBook about the MP3 Sampler, and it says that the mp3s do not come on any CD with the iBook - if you trash them from the iBook, they're gone for good. If I had a CD burner, though, I think they'd be gone...

Another "tip" I guess would be: if you have a desktop computer, figure out some way to keep a very similar file system on both computers - otherwise, you'll have one computer with outdated files, which is a real pain. My system for this has been to have my Documents folder and another folder (with business-related things) be identical in folder structure on both my iBook and beige - this way I can use the File Synchonization Control Panel (or even simply copy over the few files that have been changed) to keep the content on the two computers somewhat in sync.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2001, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
<STRONG>

I was considering doing this too. However, I happened to look at a little web page that's included on the iBook about the MP3 Sampler, and it says that the mp3s do not come on any CD with the iBook - if you trash them from the iBook, they're gone for good. If I had a CD burner, though, I think they'd be gone...</STRONG>
Well, they're gone until you wish to download them. But seriously, it's cool that Apple included mp3's, but I deleted all but a few. The rest just weren't my taste. Get rid of the ones you don't listen to, you can always download them later.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

<TomR>
Aug 16, 2001, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by TomR:
<STRONG>

PLEASE keep the tips coming folks, I'm waiting for the truck to pull up as I type this with my new ibook! It's due here any second now. Any and all tips are truly appreciated!</STRONG>
Well my ibook came today!!!! Man this is one SWEET MACHINE!!!!
I'll post more on it tomorrow but so far there is not one thing wrong with it, no dead pixels, no scratches anywhere. Man this thing is GREAT!!! I've only played with it for a short time and I'm new to Macs but so farI absolutely LOVE this computer! The screen is AWESOME.
More tomorrow, have to hit the sack for work in thr morning. If your thinking of getting the ibook, DO IT!

Tom

todrain
Senior User
Aug 17, 2001, 12:39 AM

Best thing I can suggest is format the drive and install a fresh OS. Apple puts all that consumer crap on there, and most of it you'll never lose.

You can probably pick up about 2GB of space. (like if you don't use OS X, or any of the games)

Dr Evil
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2001, 12:59 AM

If you have a brand new iBook, this won't help much, but after you have used it for a while and try out programs here and there, their preferences files can add up in the System Folder. So every so often go through and clean out extensions and preferences of programs you tried out or just don't use anymore.
Secondly, since OS 9 has been really fickle with my iBook lately, I just trashed it and only run X. I much rather prefer OS X, but I know not everyone shares that opinion with me.

Dr Evil
Quicksilver G4 867mhz 384mb/60gig
iBook 300 320mb/20gig
Athlon Xp 1700+(1.47GHz) 512mb ddr/26gig, GeForce 4 TI 4200/128mb
http://mayodreams.dyndns.org

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2001, 01:13 AM

All but about two of the MP3s that come on the new machines suck. Lots of it is music you'd like to tell people you like, but I doubt that anybody REALLY likes any of that crap. Love Shack is the only decent thing on there and even it's questionable.
Apple user since 1987

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2001, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by STAT:
<STRONG>All but about two of the MP3s that come on the new machines suck. Lots of it is music you'd like to tell people you like, but I doubt that anybody REALLY likes any of that crap. Love Shack is the only decent thing on there and even it's questionable.</STRONG>
Nah, there's a good handful. You have BNL, Phish, Wilco, Lou Reed, etc. But that's about 10 mp3s of the 50+ that came on it.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2001, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by jokell82:
<STRONG>

Nah, there's a good handful. You have BNL, Phish, Wilco, Lou Reed, etc. But that's about 10 mp3s of the 50+ that came on it.</STRONG>
I've never heard of any of those bands. Must be a California thing...
Apple user since 1987

Forum Links
Forum Rules