Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Is Drudge drifting to the left?

Is Drudge drifting to the left?
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 01:50 AM

Drudge has been reviled by the left for the conservative subtext of his reporting. Since the earliest days of his influential website he has linked to news stories which in some way or other dovetail with conservative views. Case in point: he has posted several links to stories claiming that some measure of WMDs have been discovered in Iraq.

But times have change, and so has Matt Drudge.

Now, as an aside, Matt Drudge has been outed by several people over the years. He has ineffectually denied being gay by saying that while he does "go to gay bars" he has "only dated" . . . . whatever that means. How does his personal life have any bearing on his politics? Well, we all know about the gay-straight dialectic, and it is somewhat of an axiom that gay men are expected to embrace the liberal cause as a means for attaining acceptance and toleration. It is reasonable to suppose, then, that as Drudge moves out of the closet, he will identify more and more with the liberal establishment.

But even disregarding his personal lifestyle, it appears that Drudge no longer has that conservative tilt. I began to notice this when Drudge, on his radio program, expressed a very eccentric pro-Hillary sentiment. Even so, pundits have noted that Obama won the "Drudge primary", as Drudge has reported favorably on Obama for some time.

Not only that, there are rarely any stories that show McCain in a positive light. In recent weeks, all of Drudge's links on McCain have highlighted his age, his mediocre rhetoric, and the long odds he has against Obama. How can we really call Drudge a conservative?

Besides this, if I were to summarize my impression of the Drudge Report, I would say that it is a site chiefly devoted to reporting climate disasters, bizarre futuristic developments, rubbish celebrity news, and the decline of America. For all of these reasons, I no longer think that Drudge is a conservative source for news.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 01:50 AM

He goes where the money is.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
... and will lose readership. There's no money in liberal media.
ebuddy

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Like David Brock
45/47

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 08:52 AM

He goes back and forth. I think he likes testing the power he has. Lifting Hillary up....letting her back down. Lifting Obama up....maybe letting him back down. It almost seems as the candidates fortunes rise or fall based on whether Drudge is showing bias for or against them.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 09:00 AM

I don't remember when the photo was taken or which campaign, I think it was Billary's, on a computer in the background you could see the "Drudge Report" on the screen. They do realize the impact his site has. He claims it was Billary's staff that gave him the Obama photo in the tribal garb.
45/47

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2008, 09:04 AM

Who's Matt Drudge?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Not only that, there are rarely any stories that show McCain in a positive light. In recent weeks, all of Drudge's links on McCain have highlighted his age, his mediocre rhetoric, and the long odds he has against Obama. How can we really call Drudge a conservative?
What has pointing out some basic truths about McCain got to do with being a conservative?

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 02:35 PM

I agree with Crash. (Perhaps, though, you just didn't phrase your post the way you meant?) Being conservative isn't the same as rooting for a sports team. Fiscally, Obama is more conservative than McCain, and Bush was hardly a conservative in the original sense of the term. So maybe identifying "being conservative" with "blindly supporting Republicans" isn't accurate these days.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 03:04 PM

The only people I know who read Drudge are liberals. Having never read his site myself, I always just assumed it was a liberal news site...

Forum Links
Forum Rules