Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > More Uncertainty

More Uncertainty
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 11:07 PM

Ok, so I've been agonizing over what to do with my current computer situation. Right now, I have a 12" PB, 1.5GHz, 768MB, 80GB, BT, AE, SD, final rev. It's a really nice laptop. It handles Photoshop, DreamWeaver, and all the other programs I use very satisfactory. However, I often find myself wanting a bit more screen room, and a brighter display with a higher resolution. I have an offer of $800 for this laptop, which I think is pretty reasonable. So, I'm thinking of upgrading. I have it narrowed down to . . .

2.0GHz BlackBook, 13.3" Wide Screen Glossy Display, 512MB, 80GB
1.67GHz PowerBook, 15.4" Wide Screen Display, 2GB, 80GB, final rev.
1.83GHz MacBook Pro, 15.4" Wide Screen Display, 512MB, 80GB

I know logic tells me to go with the BlackBook or MBP, but I'm not sure. The 12" PB I have right now really does a great job. It handles all the multi-tasking I do really well, and I love the form factor, size, and portability. What I'm looking for is more screen space, a brighter, higher resolution screen, and something that's maybe a little thinner (weight or width doesn't matter too much). I hesitate to go with an Intel based machine simply because of the lack of universal compatibility, and of course I don't want to get a first rev. machine (I plan on getting refurb if I go the Intel route, and I'll buy from a fellow MacNN'r if I get the PowerBook).

Screen space, brightness, and ability to run PS and DW are my primary concerns. And I'm pretty stoked about getting the backlit keyboard if I go the PB or MBP route. I really don't want to spend the high end cash to get the MBP, especially when the MacBook is so close in specs. Grrrr, I dont know what to do. What would you do?

Thanks in advance!

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2006, 11:14 PM

external monitor. dell 2007WFP. 350 bux.
Macbook Pro 15" (fully spec'd out)

...waiting for 6g ipods.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2006, 11:21 PM

Better make sure he's at least a long timer. I have smelled a scammer or two even here but did not go for it.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by drewcifer
external monitor. dell 2007WFP. 350 bux.
I thought about going that route. Maxing out the RAM, getting an external monitor and calling it a day. I guess I have more to think about. I'd really like a brighter display and more screen space when I'm laying in bed doing web design work, and a backlit keyboard would be really nice. Guess I'll have to keep agonizing for it till I just make a decision.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2006, 12:14 AM

Get the MBP (after the Merom refresh) and be extremely pleased with it.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2006, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by sdilley14
Ok, so I've been agonizing over what to do with my current computer situation. Right now, I have a 12" PB, 1.5GHz, 768MB, 80GB, BT, AE, SD, final rev. It's a really nice laptop. It handles Photoshop, DreamWeaver, and all the other programs I use very satisfactory. However, I often find myself wanting a bit more screen room, and a brighter display with a higher resolution. I have an offer of $800 for this laptop, which I think is pretty reasonable. So, I'm thinking of upgrading. I have it narrowed down to . . .

I know logic tells me to go with the BlackBook or MBP, but I'm not sure. The 12" PB I have right now really does a great job. It handles all the multi-tasking I do really well, and I love the form factor, size, and portability. What I'm looking for is more screen space, a brighter, higher resolution screen, and something that's maybe a little thinner (weight or width doesn't matter too much). I hesitate to go with an Intel based machine simply because of the lack of universal compatibility, and of course I don't want to get a first rev. machine (I plan on getting refurb if I go the Intel route, and I'll buy from a fellow MacNN'r if I get the PowerBook).

Screen space, brightness, and ability to run PS and DW are my primary concerns. And I'm pretty stoked about getting the backlit keyboard if I go the PB or MBP route. I really don't want to spend the high end cash to get the MBP, especially when the MacBook is so close in specs. Grrrr, I dont know what to do. What would you do?

Thanks in advance!
peronally i am happy with the mbp. but i have a question, i KNOW that if you get a new mbp and something is wrong they will replace it. but i dont know if that is case for a used one. if not that is something you are going to have to think about and look into
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

hemant
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2006, 08:14 AM

If you are talking about refurbished units. I think they still have a 1 year warranty.

Muffinman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2006, 03:47 PM

I think an intel-based machine is the smart route. Within the next few months, most everything will be Universal. Plus, Leopard is being further optimized for the Intel Processors, so you'll see an even greater performance gain. As for buying a first rev machine, that's personal preference. I have a Rev A 17" MBP, and I have zero issues with it. If anything comes up, I'll use my 3 year Applecare warranty to remedy the situation.

I think I'd have way too much buyer's remorse in 6 months if I bought a G4 or G5 machine now, but to each his own. All I know is the MB & MBPs are friggin' fast.
17" MBP | 2.16 | 120gb | matte | switcher

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Muffinman
All I know is the MB & MBPs are friggin' fast.
For sure there. Intel-optimized applications are very fast. Safari, OmniWeb, Mail, Nisus Writer, Keynote, Pages, Osirix - the apps I use mainly - are all very responsive. At least as fast if not more-so than on my 2.5GHz dual G5 (with a much faster hard drive, too).

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2006, 11:15 AM

I vote for the external monitor as well. Later, when you upgrade your machine (perhaps after Adobe apps are universal), you'll still have the monitor.

bloodline
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14

Thanks in advance!
Dump the PB as quickly as possible (before the guy who just paid $800 for it realises he was robbed), and get a nice shiny new MBP... it's much faster.

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2006, 04:28 AM

You think $800 for a final revision 12" PB in mint condition, everything maxed out except RAM, is robbing someone? Doesn't seem that bad to me.

I'm gonna have to test drive the BlackBook at the Mac store before I buy one. I'm definately considering it though.

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2006, 07:17 AM

Personally, I'd keep the powerbook for now, and at least see what they come out with in the near future. Either way, you would probably have to shell out quite a bit more money after selling the powerbook to get a new laptop when your powerbook is still nice. Sure, the closest one will be the base macbook, but for many like me, the look and feel of the white macbook just seems like a downgrade from an aluminum powerbook.

So I suggest enjoy your powerbook and wait a bit longer to see what is coming. For me, I'm actually waiting primarily to see what desktops will be coming since I will get the best performance per dollar that way. And that way, I'll have a beautiful laptop in my 12" powerbook and a desktop that will be more powerful than any of the laptops yet cheaper.

Good Luck!
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2006, 06:50 PM

go with the external monitor, it will always work on your future mac when the 1.5ghz doesnt cut it anymore,

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2006, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by thetman
go with the external monitor, it will always work on your future mac when the 1.5ghz doesnt cut it anymore,
This is the right answer.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules