Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What's worng with Mac Book Pro?

What's worng with Mac Book Pro?
nathanxu
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2006, 07:42 PM

Hi guys,
Everyone has been talking about the problems Mac Book Pro have right now, what could it really go wrong? Further, I have just seen some photos of a Dell laptop blow up, could it happen to a Mac Book Pro? Will apple fix those problems on MacBook Pro any time soon?
I must say this is very unapple, all the apples I have ever used were great, the best computer I've ever seen.
Cheers
Nathan
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 07:53 PM

No it won't blow up, if you buy one, buy Applecare with it, and the problems are mostly fixed now.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 09:01 PM

Apple has fixed the biggest problem with the MacBook Pro, the whine.

Yes, Apple laptops can and have spontaneously "exploded" like the Dell that happened to be caught on tape. So can iPods. And Motorola phones. And HP PDAs. And everything else with a lithium battery pack.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2006, 09:23 PM

In fact, anything at all with almost any kind of battery can have this sort of problem. You can produce a very remarkable fire with just a 9 volt battery you get from the convenience store. The thing with computer batteries is that they tend to be very densely packed-there's a lot of energy in a very small space. Short-circuit any battery and you release its energy. If it's a laptop battery, there's LOTS there to release.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 15, 2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Apple has fixed the biggest problem with the MacBook Pro, the whine.

Yes, Apple laptops can and have spontaneously "exploded" like the Dell that happened to be caught on tape. So can iPods. And Motorola phones. And HP PDAs. And everything else with a lithium battery pack.

did applecare cover that?

Helmling
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 09:50 PM

that picture makes me want to cry

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 10:11 PM

The pic is of a 15" PowerBook G4 though, I have never heard of a MacBook of any variety blowing up.

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Aug 16, 2006, 12:49 AM

now a little more serious reply of mine. in general what i see as the problem is the good old Rev. A phenomenon. This is a totally new build of laptop for apple. There have a very good engineering department, but they were working under pressure as well as the fact that they don't have a lot of experience with Intel chips and there individual little problems and they only had limited time to test the brand new hardware. It was obvious that something like this would happen, cause we have seen it before with the PBs that also have and had whinning noises.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2006, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by nathanxu
Hi guys,
Everyone has been talking about the problems Mac Book Pro have right now, what could it really go wrong? Further, I have just seen some photos of a Dell laptop blow up, could it happen to a Mac Book Pro? Will apple fix those problems on MacBook Pro any time soon?
I must say this is very unapple, all the apples I have ever used were great, the best computer I've ever seen.
Cheers
Nathan
yes many of the issues have been fixed:

the whine
the machines with bad superdrives are no longer shipping as much
the kernal panics are also gone.

however one issue remains and thats the heat. which i am particularly bitter about having spent 2 hours with an apple "genius" trying to convince them that having a computer that is so hot that the keys burn when you type is not normal. when they bottom was hot, they said its not a "laptop" so dont put it on your lap. bs, but ok. now that they keys are too hot for typing, they expect me not to use it for more than 5 minutes at a time.

ok rant over, i say this because the simple and easy solution is to allow users manual control of when the fans kick in, or just have the fans kick in more often (i have never ever heard mine turn on). simple and easy enough, but apple wont do it for now and has no plans to do it (or anything else about the heat) from what i can tell
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Forum Links
Forum Rules