Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17in MBP with 1gb ram.... SHOULD i add 512mb.

17in MBP with 1gb ram.... SHOULD i add 512mb.
onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2006, 07:15 AM

ok, here is the deal:

I got my $100 aperture rebate. i have one 1gb stick of ram on my 17in MBP. Its not really enough because some apps are hogs and i do like to multi task.

it happens that one 512 stick of ram from the apple online store costs $100 exactly. i have heard mixed things from apple employees, some say it wont run with unmatched sticks, others say it will run SLOWER with the extra 512. others say it will see major improvements??

so whats the deal??

the gift certificate is for $100 it has to be used at the apple online store (so apple ram is the only option), i basicly want to know if the 512 is a good use of the gift certificate, will it make my computer faster. i dont think that buying 1gb of apple ram is an option even with 100$ off.

whats the deal will it make my computer faster, slower, or about the same?
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 19, 2006, 08:55 AM

I found 1GB sticks for the MBP for around $130 from Kingston through Buy.com. That's how I'd go. In fact, I may have to, depending on how the MBP I'm getting (through a third party) is set up. However, since you have that gift certificate for this potential purchase, you might ask whether you can use it toward a larger purchase-all they can do is say no. If it's no, then go with the 512.

I cannot see HOW adding RAM to an MBP can make it slower. Adding RAM unevenly in a MacBook can cause some video slowdowns according to what I've read, but that's a completely different machine.

In general, more RAM is better with OS X in any situation. Go for what you can afford, but try for 1GB.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ChrisF
Senior User
Aug 19, 2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I cannot see HOW adding RAM to an MBP can make it slower. Adding RAM unevenly in a MacBook can cause some video slowdowns according to what I've read, but that's a completely different machine.
Ditto.
I have a 15" MBP- fundamentally the same computer as the 17". I bought it w/ 1GB, added 512MB for 1.5GB (had some 512s hanging around the office) and recently went to 2GB. Each upgrade made the computer faster when running multiple applications or when running memory intensive applications.
Buy something else at the Apple store with your gift certificate. I'm sure you can apply it to a larger purchase, but I just paid $140 something at Crucial for 1GB. Other places might be cheaper.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2006, 09:38 AM

barefeats.com tested the Intel Mac mini with matched and unmatched RAM pairs

Intel Mac mini Core Duo versus other Macs

Bottomline: OS X needs lots of RAM, you'll be happy with 1.5 GB but you'll be happier with 2 GB. Are you sure there's not something else you could use the credit for at the Apple Store? Have you checked out the Special Deals prices on iPods, for example?

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I found 1GB sticks for the MBP for around $130 from Kingston through Buy.com. That's how I'd go. In fact, I may have to, depending on how the MBP I'm getting (through a third party) is set up. However, since you have that gift certificate for this potential purchase, you might ask whether you can use it toward a larger purchase-all they can do is say no. If it's no, then go with the 512.

In general, more RAM is better with OS X in any situation. Go for what you can afford, but try for 1GB.
ok. so adding ram wont make my computer slower?

i am not really interested in spending money on ram, it just doesnt seem like where i should put my money right now. but if the gift certificate is there.

i can put the money toward a higher purchase, i just dont think that apple deserves any more of my money.
Computers:

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by amazing
barefeats.com tested the Intel Mac mini with matched and unmatched RAM pairs

Intel Mac mini Core Duo versus other Macs

Bottomline: OS X needs lots of RAM, you'll be happy with 1.5 GB but you'll be happier with 2 GB. Are you sure there's not something else you could use the credit for at the Apple Store? Have you checked out the Special Deals prices on iPods, for example?
i havent checked, but i already have an ipod and its brand new. like less than a month old new. but i will run around the site for something that is at or around $100 and think about getting the 1gb stick later when apple is no longer on my hate list.

thanks for the website! do you know of a site that did the same with the MBPs??
Computers:

jmgriff
Aug 19, 2006, 01:12 PM

Crucial.com has 1GB chips for $116 ... so if you can, find something else to spend the $100 rebate on, then get the memory later.

Matched memory upgrades are an issue on the Mac Mini and MacBook because of the integrated graphics. You could put a 512MB upgrade in the 17" MacBook Pro, but it may be a false economy if you decide in the future you really need 2GB total, as you'll have to throw the old stick out or sell it.

Generally it is inadvisable to buy memory from Apple as the charge through the nose. But Crucial would be a good, reliable source, and installing the memory yourself is pretty simple.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2006, 02:12 PM

when's the expiration on the coupon/credit? Just save it for around Xmas time, if you can, especially since new goodies will be coming out around that time.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2006, 04:11 PM

newegg.com has 1GB sticks for 80 bucks!!
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003
newegg.com has 1GB sticks for 80 bucks!!
thats, great but...
Computers:

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by amazing
when's the expiration on the coupon/credit? Just save it for around Xmas time, if you can, especially since new goodies will be coming out around that time.
i am not sure, i have to read the fine print. if i remember correctly it doesnt last that long. because the rebates went out a long time ago, but mine was delayed.
Computers:

Giblet Jones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 01:21 AM

I'd advise caustion when purchasing RAM sticks for Macs, and choose a Mac-specific product. I got 2 GBs of RAM for my Last-gen PowerBook G4 from Corsair (in a Store with a big Apple section, via the Apple person) and it made the system very unstable, with frequent hangups. So just be careful about what you buy.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2006, 01:41 AM

You only have 2 slots, and a total of 2 GB is not really very much going forward. Buy a 1 GB module from OWC Memory Upgrade DIMM, DDR, DDR2, FB-DIMM, SDRAM, FPM, EDO, SIMMs at OtherWorldComputing.com.

Very important: only buy quality RAM from quality vendors (Crucial is another good vendor).

-Allen Wicks

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon
You only have 2 slots, and a total of 2 GB is not really very much going forward. Buy a 1 GB module from OWC Memory Upgrade DIMM, DDR, DDR2, FB-DIMM, SDRAM, FPM, EDO, SIMMs at OtherWorldComputing.com.

Very important: only buy quality RAM from quality vendors (Crucial is another good vendor).

-Allen Wicks
i am not even considering considering buying ram with from anyone other than apple. its not something i want to even bother with regardless of cost.

right, now its just trying to find out if this is stick of 512 is going to make my computer faster, if so by how much.

i looked at the apple store and there really isnt anything i want or need other than more ram. i already have 2 backpacks, external keyboard and mouse, new ipod, icurve and lapdesk. i have no idea what i can do with this gift ceftificate if the ram option doesnt seem good.

no one in my family or circle of friends is interested in apple related gifts, because they are haters and all the drama with my MBPs didnt help matters any.

seriously dont know why apple didnt make this a rebate check rather than a certificate.
Computers:

cLin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 01:13 PM

Is it possible to take out the ram that cam with the macbook? I ordered a 1gig stick from 18004memory.com and if it's still too slow then I want to take out the 512 stick and put in another 1 gig

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by cLin
Is it possible to take out the ram that cam with the macbook? I ordered a 1gig stick from 18004memory.com and if it's still too slow then I want to take out the 512 stick and put in another 1 gig
Sure, no problem.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
i am not even considering considering buying ram with from anyone other than apple. its not something i want to even bother with regardless of cost.

right, now its just trying to find out if this is stick of 512 is going to make my computer faster, if so by how much.
Yes adding 512 will help those apps that like RAM. Personally I would use the coupon toward another full 1 GB module.

"If so by how much..." is not answerable, depends on your apps and how you use them. Certainly if you use any major graphics app every additional bit of RAM helps. E.g. Photoshop shows performance improvement up to 8 GB of RAM on board. As a user of Photoshop and of Aperture I find 2 GB very limiting, so intentionally configuring a box to less than 2 GB makes no sense in my world. YMMV of course.

Edit: Folks yap a lot about the benefits of matched RAM, etc. There are benefits, but the biggest benefit is having the additional RAM in the first place. Matched RAM is desirable, and the only way I buy RAM, but adding unmatched RAM is way better than no added RAM.

-Allen Wicks

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 23, 2006, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon
Yes adding 512 will help those apps that like RAM. Personally I would use the coupon toward another full 1 GB module.

"If so by how much..." is not answerable, depends on your apps and how you use them. Certainly if you use any major graphics app every additional bit of RAM helps. E.g. Photoshop shows performance improvement up to 8 GB of RAM on board. As a user of Photoshop and of Aperture I find 2 GB very limiting, so intentionally configuring a box to less than 2 GB makes no sense in my world. YMMV of course.

Edit: Folks yap a lot about the benefits of matched RAM, etc. There are benefits, but the biggest benefit is having the additional RAM in the first place. Matched RAM is desirable, and the only way I buy RAM, but adding unmatched RAM is way better than no added RAM.

-Allen Wicks
thank you!!
Computers:

Forum Links
Forum Rules