Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Google Latitude for iPhone Rejected - Did Apple Screw up?

Google Latitude for iPhone Rejected - Did Apple Screw up?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2009, 10:30 AM

I've been reading a bit about Google Latitude, which Google has been forced to release as a web app for the iPhone rather than an App Store app. This despite the fact that Google apparently worked closely with Apple to get the app approved. The story claims that Apple rejected the app because it was concerned that users would experience confusion between it and the standard Maps app. If that's the actual reason for rejection, Apple should be ashamed. There are many apps that compete with Apple's built-in apps, and it should be that way. It sounds like some app developers are being prevented from releasing their apps just on some anonymous Apple manager's whim. Isn't it obvious that such capricious behavior hurts the terrific platform Apple has built?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2009, 10:33 AM

When I tried it, it thought I was 50+ miles away from where I really was -- so I quit messing with it. =/
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
When I tried it, it thought I was 50+ miles away from where I really was -- so I quit messing with it. =/
You gotta believe Goggle, it's always right.

-t

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2009, 11:01 AM

I'm hoping the publicity gets this decision reversed, but Apple have been rejecting a little too frequently so far. I'm displeased with how much control they are exerting over which apps can be put on phones. Imagine if they treated Macs in this manner - there's no good reason to treat a phone any differently.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2009, 12:28 PM

Yah honestly I gotta wonder who the hell is doing this sorta stuff, it just doesn't make sense. Anyone who's gonna download google latitude is gonna know what they want. Unless it's gonna be an update in 3.1, but even then shouldn't google say that we're releasing it this way before we release an app or something? It doesn't make any sense. Either way they should integrate it with maps or something.

Sealobo
Jul 28, 2009, 07:39 AM

Google Latitude... does it mean that my girlfriend can track me down REAL TIME?

Rumor
Jul 28, 2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
Google Latitude... does it mean that my girlfriend can track me down REAL TIME?
Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Then again, she may end up thinking you are in another city, which I suppose could be really bad...
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2009, 12:13 PM

Apple seems to be going a little nuts with some of this stuff lately.

I have a feeling we are going to see some big changes to the app store in the near future.

Sometimes it is important to remember that this platform is really in it's infancy.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2009, 12:26 PM

What changes do you envision?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2009, 01:13 PM

Really just the way it's organized and presented on the phone mainly. I don't have any grand insight or anything... but you can tell when navigating it that it's a bit of a 1.0 type of a system. It could be and surely will get much better.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Really just the way it's organized and presented on the phone mainly. I don't have any grand insight or anything... but you can tell when navigating it that it's a bit of a 1.0 type of a system. It could be and surely will get much better.
It's like Yahoo, circa 1994, and with the same basic results. It's the best that's out there right now, but it's rather unsatisfying. Hey, there's a category of what I'm looking for! App sucks, app sucks, app sucks, app sucks a little less, app might be good, but have to pay to find out, etc, etc.

In spite of the categories and all that, I still only go in the store to get an app I was told about by someone else. The crap : good ratio is terrible, and the reviews aren't helping.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2009, 01:32 PM

I'm more pissed about the Google Voice app rejection. Until Google Voice can transparently replace the Dialer, SMS, and Voicemail apps on the iPhone it's just too much of a hassle to use.

I'm actually started to be tempted by Android... It's not nearly as mature as the iPhone OS, but it's got promise and excellent integration with the Google ecosystem which I use for many things.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I'm actually started to be tempted by Android... It's not nearly as mature as the iPhone OS, but it's got promise and excellent integration with the Google ecosystem which I use for many things.
If Apple keep rejecting useful apps, I'll be pretty tempted to switch to Android. Really, the only thing holding me back is that work pays for the iPhone.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2009, 02:25 PM

Yeah, but I really like my iPhone, plus there's a ton of awesome apps that just aren't available for Android (and I'm actually rather exciting about the gaming possibilities: can't wait to try out Monkey Island for iPhone, hoping that it resurrects the point and click adventure genre for mobile devices!). If Android becomes popular enough that it also gets all the cool apps I could definitely see myself switching, but for the time being I feel like if I did that I'd also want to get an iPod Touch so I wasn't missing out (though I suppose I could just hack my iPhone to work without an AT&T connection and use that...).

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2009, 11:59 AM

I really look forward to Apple ending their exclusive with AT&T since that should change the tune as far as all these rejected Apps.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2009, 12:14 PM

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 30, 2009, 12:57 PM

Yes they did. With the Latitude and Google Voice fiascos, I think Apple slammed their collective d!cks in the door.
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2009, 02:25 PM

The only reason I can see this happening is that Maps is going to include latitude in it, but shouldn't Google have known that!?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I really look forward to Apple ending their exclusive with AT&T since that should change the tune as far as all these rejected Apps.
Except that these Google apps exist for other AT&T devices, so it's difficult to blame AT&T for the rejection. This is either a mix up (though surely Google is dealing with someone higher up than App Store Approver Level I) or this is a pissing match.

Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2009, 04:05 PM

The App Store sucks in pretty much every way, and I think the only people who would disagree are Apple themselves. From a customer point of view, it's hell to find anything. From a developer point of view... it's incredibly anti-developer.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
Except that these Google apps exist for other AT&T devices, so it's difficult to blame AT&T for the rejection. This is either a mix up (though surely Google is dealing with someone higher up than App Store Approver Level I) or this is a pissing match.
We already know that AT&T has specific problems with iPhone apps that run on other devices. See the Slingplayer app, that was forced to go Wifi only on the iPhone but works over the 3g network on Blackberrys and Win Mobile.

This is a great blog post from a developer on all the problems Apple has with the app store: http://www.polarbearfarm.com/blog/?p=124

I have a feeling that if Apple doesn't make some serious changes and soon, we're going to be left with a bunch of really crappy $.99 apps and not much else.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2009, 10:43 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I have a feeling that if Apple doesn't make some serious changes and soon, we're going to be left with a bunch of really crappy $.99 apps and not much else.
Not necessarily, you can always spend $30 for a glorified VNC client.

-t

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2009, 08:46 AM

With the recent Microsoft-Yahoo deal confirmed, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple became a lot more friendly with Google.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Not necessarily, you can always spend $30 for a glorified VNC client.

-t

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2009, 10:49 AM

I'm excited to see what happens with the FCC inquiry. Maybe they will force apple to change their ways. Or at least be more open about how they decide which apps they let into the app store.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2009, 12:16 PM

eWeek thinks Apple rejected Google Voice because it's preparing to release a competing service through MobileMe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules