Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Yellow Dog Linux 3.0

Yellow Dog Linux 3.0
Avon
Senior User
Mar 19, 2003, 09:21 PM

I would like to download it, but on their web site it says its only availible to YDL.net subscribers. Im assuming this is only for a limited time or it would be in violation of the GPL... Is this correct?

Also, id love to know if 3.0 will boot into YDL 3.0 without Mac OS...

Thanks..

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2003, 10:36 AM

That's not correct - there's nothing prohibiting them from charging it. However,
a) They have to supply you with the source code if you buy it, and
b) Anyone else who HAS bought it is allowed to give you a copy
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2003, 01:29 AM

i didnt think you need macos to boot either, i was under the impression you just need yaboot to boot, and then have it boot linux
no macos involved
w3rd..
surrey represent

drmbb2
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2003, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by Avon:
I would like to download it, but on their web site it says its only availible to YDL.net subscribers. Im assuming this is only for a limited time or it would be in violation of the GPL... Is this correct?

Also, id love to know if 3.0 will boot into YDL 3.0 without Mac OS...

Thanks..

I believe that Yellowdog's normal release policy is that new releases are only available for a fee when they first come out. After awhile (I can't remember how long they wait - maybe until a x.1 update is ready to go, or a new beta release is out?) they will put it on their anonymous ftp server and mirrors (the ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/...ons/yellowdog/ site is usually good and very fast). Note that release 3.0 isn't even shipping yet, so if you want to try Yellowdog for free, you will have to be satisfied with release 2.3.

Avon  (op)
Senior User
Mar 21, 2003, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by smic:
i didnt think you need macos to boot either, i was under the impression you just need yaboot to boot, and then have it boot linux
no macos involved
Old world machines need Xboot to boot into YDL. This is a mac os app. They cannot boot directly into YDL.

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2003, 11:57 PM

ya im sure bootx can be modified to look like a system folder, Finder/System in a folder

im pretty sure thats how you can boot off the cd
w3rd..
surrey represent

cutterjohn
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2003, 03:11 AM

at a guess I would say YDL3 will be available on the ftp server when they ship the boxed version in mid April.

Yes, it does use yaboot requiring a MacOS (Classic type, <X). I am sure that you could get open firmware to boot it without MacOS, but I haven't bothered trying, and I know of no howtos on the topic.

In any event look at the delay as: any current YDL3 users are guinea pigs in the lab, and will, hopefully, weed out any major gotchas before the general public can snag a copy. e.g. qt lib problems with 2.3. I expect that they will have problems as they DO track redhat releases, and I believe that YDL3 was tracking RH8.1 which isn't even out yet. (IIRC in release candidate stage.) YDL basically, equals RedHat on powerpc.

If you really want the latest and greatest, I would consider looking into Mandrake, Debian, Slackintosh, or Gentoo.

Forum Links
Forum Rules