Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Audio Quality Weirdness

Audio Quality Weirdness
trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2003, 10:09 PM

Something awfully strange has happened to me for the second time today. I'm not sure what I did to trigger it ( nor what I did last time ), but suddenly all audio being played sounds muffled, almost as if a low-pass filter has been applied to it. It's more than muffled, in fact it almost sounds like everything's at a lower bitrate... my AIFFs are now sounding like poorly-ripped MP3s. It's awfully strange, and I'm going to see if a reboot solves it once I've hopped off this torrent I'm seeding.

Has this happened to anybody else?

Here's my info:

iMac FP 17" 800 mhz
OS X Server 10.2.6
M-Audio Quattro USB Audio Interface
Mackie HR824 Monitors
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2003, 05:11 AM

I have experienced the same problem.

Using a Powerbook 17" with a M-Audio Sonica USB. Connected using Toslink to a 5.1 Receiver.

I think you will find if you reboot with the USB audio device plugged in, the sound quality will be ok. But if you boot your machine, and then plug-in the device, the sound will be muffled like you describe.

Also I think sleeping the machine seems to affect it some how, but I have not worked out the exact pattern yet.

I was about to e-mail M-Audio about this, but now that I have seen someone else using a different device, I believe the problem may in fact be with OS X (or iTunes?)

This has been a problem with 10.2.4, 2.5, 2.6 (Used iTunes 4.0 and 4.01 across these versions). Have not tested with any Panther builds.

Perhaps someone with an M-Audio USB device and a copy of Panther could test this and let us know?

trusted_content  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2003, 06:40 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

Rebooting did fix it, thankfully. It only seems to crop up every few weeks... I also noticed some CoreAudio errors appeared at the same time which were preventing VLC from running, and MIDIs/swfs stopped playing in Safari.

EEeeeeenteresting..../
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

Forum Links
Forum Rules