Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCab_supports_tabbed_browsing_now!

iCab_supports_tabbed_browsing_now!
Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 02:05 PM

iCab now supports tabbed browsing in a very comfortable way!

The new version also comes with a new user interface and is now easily the best looking browser on Mac OS X.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Jan Van Boghout
Aug 9, 2003, 02:18 PM

Doesn't look all that special imo. Just standard Aqua tabs with a close button. What's the big advantage over Safari? What we need is OmniWeb's interface and tabbed browsing

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2003, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
The new version also comes with a new user interface and is now easily the best looking browser on Mac OS X.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2003, 02:37 PM

Looks better than it used to. I don't know about best looking browser on Mac OS X, though. Definitely not the best-looking rendering. OmniWeb and Safari beat it on both fronts, IMHO.

Has a really quick interface. I remember it being nice for that in OS 9. Lots of preference options, nice context menus, as well. I'll bet this browser would be interesting if they replaced the renderer with WebCore.

It has a nice search toolbar that looks a lot like Safari's Google search bar. But why does it support every search engine in existence except Google?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Has a really quick interface. I remember it being nice for that in OS 9. Lots of preference options, nice context menus, as well. I'll bet this browser would be interesting if they replaced the renderer with WebCore.
It doesn't need WebCore. Version 3.0 will have support for CSS2. Most of the work is apparently already done, but not yet enabled in 2.9.5.
The interface is very elegant and Mac OS X like now. Toolbar is customizable just like the Finder one, windows support opaque live resizing, search field is fluidly resizbable - looks great!
Imagine iCab 3.0 with CSS2 support and maybe switched to PPx. iCab would be back at full strength!
It has a nice search toolbar that looks a lot like Safari's Google search bar. But why does it support every search engine in existence except Google?
It supports Google. A little down arrow in the search field lets you switch between more than half a dozen search sites.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2003, 03:15 PM

It supports Google. A little down arrow in the search field lets you switch between more than half a dozen search sites.
I see:

Yahoo
Yahoo (German)
AltaVista (All Languages)
AltaVista (English)
AltaVista (German)
WebCrawler
Lycos
Excite (Web)
Excite (Germany)
Excite (Europe)
Web.de (Catalog)
Web.de (News)
Web.de (Chats)
Web.de (News) <- apparently a repeat
FireBall
Magellan (Web)
Magellan (Green Sites)
Heise-Verlag (c't newsticker)
Files.com (Macintosh software)

No Google in that list. Also, some of those (Magellan, Filez) no longer exist and probably shouldn't be in the list.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 03:21 PM

And I see:

Yahoo
Yahoo (Deutschland)
AltaVista (Alle Sprachen)
AltaVista (English)
AltaVista (Deutsch)
Lycos
FireBall
Heise-Verlag (c't Newsticker)
Google

Maybe you made a mistake when installing? Try Preferences->Searching->Internet Search Sites->Reset to standard values.
( Last edited by Developer; Aug 9, 2003 at 03:28 PM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 9, 2003, 03:28 PM

Err... No.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
<image deleted>

Err... No.
Actually, it looks like this. Much better than the one above, but I don't think it's as nice-looking as OmniWeb or Safari.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2003, 02:52 AM

I have Google support in my iCab copy, but, if not, you can add every search field you found in the net, just place your mouse into the search filed, ctrl+clic and choose "Add Site to Internet Search List".

So, in the URL filed if I write 'v icab' it will search for an iCab update with in version tracker, you can use the search field for this purpose, same as Safari, but with url and the hot keys is even faster.

The 'new tab' button is a very nice add on.

That first pic is too old, just download iCab and give it a try.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2003, 05:50 AM

Maybe you made a mistake when installing?
Oh sure, blame it on me. Yeah, I made a mistake when performing the oh so difficult installation process of dragging the app to my Internet folder.

Try Preferences->Searching->Internet Search Sites->Reset to standard values.
That did it. Apparently, I had prefs left over from an ancient version of iCab that I tried back in the 10.0 days, before Google was popular.

Cool stuff. I also notice that it has working toolbar search keywords, one of my favorite features that Safari hasn't seen fit to implement yet.

This version isn't bad. OmniWeb still beats it by a large margin, though. All the same, I'm glad to see this browser getting some development again.

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2003, 04:41 PM

There are now better screenshots at iCab.de

Browser Window without Tabs:

Browser Window with Tabs:

Customizable Toolbars:

Autocomplete Feature:

Cookie Manager:

The Download Manager:

The Filter Manager:

There are more at the website where all of them are available in full size also.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 04:50 PM

And what I like most now is that a simple click with the middle mousebutton/scrollwheel will open a link in a new tab. It's so easy now.

-

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2003, 05:03 PM

And notice the 'nice' use of the alpha channel in the buttons plus the URL field which according to Apple's recommendations shouldn't be rounded.

JLL

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2003, 05:41 PM

Definitely not pretty. The developer have zero GUI design skills.

ambush
Banned
Aug 15, 2003, 05:59 PM

Why are they using 10.1 AquaPuma-style buttons?

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
And notice the 'nice' use of the alpha channel in the buttons plus the URL field which according to Apple's recommendations shouldn't be rounded.
iCab comes with different toolbar icon sets. If you don't like this one, just use another.
OmniWeb also uses a rounded location field. Nobody ever said that would be not recommended.

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2003, 06:36 PM

Nobody ever said that would be not recommended.
Yes they did. Rounded fields are search fields.
JLL

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2003, 08:41 PM

Hmm, feels like those OS X theme's for OS 9. They look close, but *feel* ancient still.

Michel Fortin
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2003, 10:05 PM

Yes they did. Rounded fields are search fields.
Except that OmniWeb was using a rounded location field before Apple included rounded field in it's toolkit. Rounded search field and directives for using them appeared first in Jaguar.

But I think OmniWeb should change that to a square one to fit the new guidelines.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2003, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Definitely not pretty. The developer have zero GUI design skills.
Absolutely zero? That's a bit easy to say without going into detail. Sounds a bit like "I don't like it, the developer must be dumb".

-

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2003, 02:21 AM

yawn.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Moonray:
Absolutely zero? That's a bit easy to say without going into detail. Sounds a bit like "I don't like it, the developer must be dumb".
Have you seen his previous GUI design works?

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2003, 11:27 AM

Other than iCab? No. I've seen much worse GUI design on other apps though.
Is it just the (exchangable) icons and the rounded input box or is there more that makes it a zero skill design for you?

-

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2003, 12:07 PM

Other than iCab? No. I've seen much worse GUI design on other apps though.
Is it just the (exchangable) icons and the rounded input box or is there more that makes it a zero skill design for you?
It sounds like you never tried previous version of iCab or otherwise you'll know what I'm talking about.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2003, 12:44 PM

Who_the_hell_cares!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2003, 02:12 PM

It sounds like you never tried previous version of iCab or otherwise you'll know what I'm talking about.
Well this thread is about the current version and I'm still curious about your reasons to bash it that way.

-

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2003, 03:00 PM

He has done Atari software before. Here's a screenshot of CAB:

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2003, 04:33 PM

Well this thread is about the current version and I'm still curious about your reasons to bash it that way.
Why are you so curious? Are you developer's brother or something?

If you really want to know, PM me and I'll answer you

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2003, 04:53 PM

Why are you so curious? Are you developer's brother or something?

If you really want to know, PM me and I'll answer you
Heh no, I'm neither Developer's brother nor a relative of the developer of iCab. My curiosity is simply based on your post where you stated the developer would have no design skills without giving any explanation.
But if you have reasons not to tell here in public, I'll be polite and don't ask you in private.

-

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2003, 05:47 PM

Heh no, I'm neither Developer's brother nor a relative of the developer of iCab. My curiosity is simply based on your post where you stated the developer would have no design skills without giving any explanation.
But if you have reasons not to tell here in public, I'll be polite and don't ask you in private.
Let me make it clear for you: The developer didn't follow Apple's HIG closely. iCab's GUI design were poorly designed.

Now that new version of iCab use NSToolbar, Pref Panes, etc, it looks much better but iCab still failed to follow some important guidelines.

I could give some examples but it'd be a waste of my time. Go to Apple's HIG webpage to read some guidelines.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2003, 06:32 PM

Let me make it clear for you: The developer didn't follow Apple's HIG closely. iCab's GUI design were poorly designed.

Now that new version of iCab use NSToolbar, Pref Panes, etc, it looks much better but iCab still failed to follow some important guidelines.

I could give some examples but it'd be a waste of my time. Go to Apple's HIG webpage to read some guidelines.
Even Apple's developers sometimes don't follow their own guidelines, for example with buttons having reflections of light coming from the top left instead of top. Also it is not important enough to Apple to update the GUI of some of their old apps like the Scripteditor (which is much worse than iCab's).
So I don't see the HIG would qualify as a bible in matters of design for all instances.

I understand that design is important to you, but I don't see that huge flaws in iCab's GUI that would justify to say he has absolutely no clue. The basis of user interface design is to follow the function, the next step is to make it look good and then finally you can suit it to some guidelines. Maybe he's stuck somewhere between making it look good and fit it to Apple's HIG, but then it's still called a preview and not a ready product.

But I can live with the fact that you judge different about that.

-

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2003, 06:41 PM

Also it is not important enough to Apple to update the GUI of some of their old apps like the Scripteditor (which is much worse than iCab's).
Apple has been working on a new version of Script Editor for a while and you can download a beta if you want to - the interface is much improved.

Btw. iCab has been a preview for many many years - I wonder when they actually plan to release a final version.
JLL

unlinear
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2003, 08:44 PM

Reminds me of this one scene...

Pretty much every other browser: You are indeed brave, sir knight, but the fight is mine.
iCab: Oh, had enough eh?
other Browsers: Look, you stupid bastard. You've got no arms left!
iCab: Yes I have.
Other Browsers: Look!
iCab: Just a flesh wound!

fireside
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2003, 01:22 AM

wait so people actually care about iCab?

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2003, 02:20 AM

Apple has been working on a new version of Script Editor for a while and you can download a beta if you want to - the interface is much improved.
Thanks for the hint I did not know that, and yes it looks much better (why is it now "Script Editor" instead of "Scripteditor"?).

Btw. iCab has been a preview for many many years - I wonder when they actually plan to release a final version.
iCab is done by a 1 to 1.5 people team, so if it takes years for Apple to rewrite their script editor I won't blame them/him if it takes long to write iCab. And remember it is an application which is maintained for every Mac OS from System 7.0 on, and a browser is more complex than a script editor.

-

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Aug 17, 2003, 03:06 AM

I definitely give the developer kudos for making a browser single-handedly. That's no easy feat by any means, but my only concern is that the Mac browser market as it is right now is simply too much for one man.

But he's doing a damn good job given his odds

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2003, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the hint I did not know that, and yes it looks much better (why is it now "Script Editor" instead of "Scripteditor"?).
?? The current version is also called Script Editor.

iCab is done by a 1 to 1.5 people team, so if it takes years for Apple to rewrite their script editor I won't blame them/him if it takes long to write iCab.
I still don't understand why they haven't called it v1.0 years ago. Opera is at v6 and it's not much better than iCab.
JLL

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2003, 11:17 AM

?? The current version is also called Script Editor.
I thought it was in one word, but I can be wrong.

I still don't understand why they haven't called it v1.0 years ago. Opera is at v6 and it's not much better than iCab.
Numbers are patient
And I am not starting a discussion whether Opera is better or not though it seems we might not agree.

-

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2003, 10:26 PM

iCab comes with different toolbar icon sets. If you don't like this one, just use another.
OmniWeb also uses a rounded location field. Nobody ever said that would be not recommended.
How do you change toolbar icon sets? The default is a as good looking as horse poo, but maybe better ones are available.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
How do you change toolbar icon sets? The default is a as good looking as horse poo, but maybe better ones are available.
http://www.icab.de/download2.html

Tim2 at Omni
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Michel Fortin:
Except that OmniWeb was using a rounded location field before Apple included rounded field in it's toolkit. Rounded search field and directives for using them appeared first in Jaguar.

But I think OmniWeb should change that to a square one to fit the new guidelines.
A little birdie told me that it's rectangular in the internal 5.0 builds.

Anyway... I think iCab would be a nice little browser if it just got a little UI love (like real toolbar buttons instead of those round... things).
Tim Omernick
Engineer, The Omni Group

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2003, 12:27 PM

\

Seems like you wasted too much of your time already. I accept your point, but you might like to be a bit more respectful of a great and long-time supporter of the Mac. We were glad enough of iCab before OS X came out.

I'm sure it's got less to do with his knowledge of user-interfaces and much more to do with Carbonising an OS 9 with limited time and resources. The changes that do happpen are positive, and iCab is looking good. If you think it's just an idle hobby, then fine, treat it is as such and don't patronise a good piece of work.

Chris

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2003, 02:17 PM

To Developer: Thanks. I chose a much better looking set.
To Tim2: What!? You're supposed to be Biased(R) to OmniWeb*!
* I use Safari, but when OmniWeb 5 comes out with tabs that may well change.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 12:51 AM

other Browsers: Look, you stupid bastard. You've got no arms left!
iCab: Yes I have.
Other Browsers: Look!
iCab: Just a flesh wound!
Awesome!

There is something special about the developer who works on a project with staggering requirements, that has long been surpassed, that provides no financial benefit. Kind of reminds me of Adrien Umpleby, who is apparently still working on OroborOSX. An awesome achievement, but one surpassed by Apple's X11.

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 03:20 AM

Damn is this fast!

Pity that it can't even render Slashdot "nested view" though (renders everything flat).
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2004, 12:12 PM

iCab has been updated to 2.9.8.

yukon
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2004, 10:32 PM

Firefox with AdBlock, Flashblock, and it's new downloadmanager-ish feature, and Safari with Pithhelmet are catching up to iCab's features, slowly but surely. These browsers already render most all new technologies properly, though I dislike things like JavaScript (what does it do for you?), the lack of proper CSS support and the spread of it's use is starting to cause most webpages to draw content in a narrow collum down the side of the page in iCab.

iCab is much faster than other browsers, anyone who disagrees, try them all on an older machine, Safari is horribly slow (just try tabs) and while the latest Mozilla and Firefox binaries are getting fast, they're still relitivly slow and have their visual glitches. Just tried a nightly Camino, impressive, but it has NO advanced features, things iCab has had since circa '98. Nothing matches iCab's features. Yet.

But iCab is getting old, and it's apparent that this latest release is mainly the inclusion of updates to other people's code ("some certificates", OpenSSL, plus "some bug fixes"). I always have defended iCab and use it all the time (search the forums for my comments), but I don't know where iCab is going. I'll use this update, but Firefox is due for a "feature complete" update soon, everyone can check for themselves, they have a roadmap-
http://mozilla.org/projects/firefox/roadmap.html
( Last edited by yukon; Apr 20, 2004 at 11:46 PM. )
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 02:02 AM

I hope 3.0 is great and comes out soon, 2.9.8 is nice

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2004, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by yukon:
I'll use this update, but Firefox is due for a "feature complete" update soon, everyone can check for themselves, they have a roadmap-
http://mozilla.org/projects/firefox/roadmap.html
Can't wait for the Aquafication release. I hate the non-native GUI.

Forum Links
Forum Rules