Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The strange "Palm Desktop Background.app"

The strange "Palm Desktop Background.app"
bzImage
Feb 1, 2004, 06:32 AM

Well, since i have some limited RAM i start my own "tunning" session with OSX.

Basically i disable the execution of all the daemons that i dont use or need, like what ?

Like:

LDAP
NFS
NIS
Portmap
SMNP
mDNSResponder
DirectoryServices
etc.

Since most of this daemons dont have a preference pane or any option to disable them, i move them from their system directory to another part.

Guess what ?

I Save about 60MB of ram (according to "top")

But there its still one little program thtat i cant disable..

"Palm Desktop Background.app"

who its eating 4MB of RAM doing nothing.. in fact i killed it and try to sync my palm, it works with no problem, so what its the real function of this program ??

anyway, im watching that the "parent" of this process its the "WindowServer" process..

Where in this (WindowServer) process its the configuration to disable or enable the startup of processes ??

I also see the "Stuffit Magic Menu" starting from that parent process.. and this process its eatin 2.9 MB of ram.

I want my 5 MB of precious RAM back!!..

where can i disable this applications ?

(no, i dont want to delete them, there must be some way .. )

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2004, 11:51 AM

Why not just buy more RAM? Your system would run significantly better, considering that you are having to delete things like Rendezvous.

Oh, and the palm desktop background is in your login items.

I hope you aren't judging based on the amount of free RAM. Free RAM is wasted RAM. If an open process is not doing anything, its memory contents will be paged to disk (assuming that RAM is needed).
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

bzImage  (op)
Feb 1, 2004, 02:03 PM

----
Why not just buy more RAM?

----

Im poor.

-----
Your system would run significantly better, considering that you are having to delete things like Rendezvous.
-----

Hey, im not deleting anything, im just disabling the startup of things that i dont use.

If my Unix internals books its right, it says: A unix system with fewer process will run better than a system with a large queue of processes, this its the basis of tunning. (Unix performance tunning, steve pate)

besides that.. I dont use Rndezvous, yes, i dont use it..

----
Oh, and the palm desktop background is in your login items.
----

Yes i just disable it from there but its still running.

----
I hope you aren't judging based on the amount of free RAM. Free RAM is wasted RAM.

----

Paging.- Paging cause disk bottlenecks, why i want to page for things that i dont need ?

I dont use NFS (and im pretty sure that most of the mac uses dont use it)
NIS sucks.
SNMP ? sure, bring on the OpenView console..

Free ram, in a real unix system there its no free ram, the ram its used for the process that needs it, this means that in a certain point, all the ram will be used, forcing the other idle processes to page when a certain watermark level its reached. (DISK BOTTLENECK)

Why i dont want to make my system better and faster ?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2004, 11:30 PM

128MB PC133 < $50.

Palm desktop background is a login item. Make sure none of the users have it in their login items. The specific item is buried inside the Palm Desktop application bundle if you want to just delete it.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules