Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > how to convert pdf to word doc without printer?

how to convert pdf to word doc without printer?
wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2004, 04:35 AM

i have a powerbook 1.25, and i would like to be able to convert pdf files to word doc files, but when i try, i get a message saying there are no printers found. i don't need to print the files from my pb. can i bypass the printer issue? thanks for any advice.

also, i have a win machine with a hp 5050 connected via parallel cable. i have the pb and xp machine on a wireless network. is it possible to print directly from my pb wirelessly? i know this is an ignorant question, but i'm unsure of the necessary steps to be able to do this. i installed drivers for the hp printer on the pb, and when i try to print a file, it evidently sends the file to the printer via the desktop (connected directly to the printer). however, all that is printed is gibberish. do i need to connect the printer to the router for direct printing from the pb? sorry for these questions in the software forum...wasn't sure where to post this question, so it's here. my primary concern is the first question anyway. thank you for any advice you all may have.
15 inches of aluminum fury

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2004, 06:34 AM

I'm guessing you'd have to use Acrobat (not the free Acrobat Reader).
(I've opened my copy and see that it has a "Microsoft Word" option in the "Save as" menu item, but I haven't actually converted a document.)
No idea on the wireless printing with your setup.

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2004, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
i have a powerbook 1.25, and i would like to be able to convert pdf files to word doc files, but when i try, i get a message saying there are no printers found. i don't need to print the files from my pb. can i bypass the printer issue? thanks for any advice.

also, i have a win machine with a hp 5050 connected via parallel cable. i have the pb and xp machine on a wireless network. is it possible to print directly from my pb wirelessly? i know this is an ignorant question, but i'm unsure of the necessary steps to be able to do this. i installed drivers for the hp printer on the pb, and when i try to print a file, it evidently sends the file to the printer via the desktop (connected directly to the printer). however, all that is printed is gibberish. do i need to connect the printer to the router for direct printing from the pb? sorry for these questions in the software forum...wasn't sure where to post this question, so it's here. my primary concern is the first question anyway. thank you for any advice you all may have.
You want to have a look at this page. for printing to your windows computer. I followed those instructions, and it works like a dream.
Swimming upstream since 1994.

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2004, 11:28 AM

wonderful. thank you both. btw, i am using acrobat professional. any other ideas on how to convert pdf to word without having a printer? if i reinstall my printer drivers, will that help? thanks.

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
wonderful. thank you both. btw, i am using acrobat professional. any other ideas on how to convert pdf to word without having a printer? if i reinstall my printer drivers, will that help? thanks.
I'm not following why you think having a printer will allow you to change .pdf to .doc...?
cpac

SVass
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2004, 02:14 PM

Read Iris Pro 9 will convert pdf files to word processor files under OSX. sam (I got it as an upgrade to my scanner OCR software)

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2004, 10:50 PM

cpac, i apologize...i typed that incorrectly. i meant, how to convert from word to pdf. i was getting the printer error message, but i tried the option "convert to pdf and email" and it worked fine. still have to read pimephalis's page on printing through windows. thank you once more.

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2004, 08:29 AM

pimephalis, you're awesome! took me a while to get through the directions, but it works perfectly. thank you SO much. love for the pb just grew a little more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules