Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What is the best VNC client for OS X?

What is the best VNC client for OS X?
j0nb0y22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2003, 10:54 PM

topic...

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 01:58 AM

I like Chicken of the VNC, but that may be mainly because it's developed by Geekspiff (ThemePark, Mighty Mouse, etc). I also have the generic "VNCViewer" application, which seems to work just fine...

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2003, 09:34 AM

Be warned, though. I accidentally connected to my Mac that was running a VNC server with Chicken..and my Mac went into an infinite loop I couldn't break out of AT ALL.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 01:40 PM

My experience is that it somewhat depends on the server you connect to. I like VNCThing, but connected to one server I don't remember now it says sometimes byebye cause it gets some unexpected reply.

-

vsurfer
Senior User
Feb 18, 2004, 11:15 PM

bump... I use Chicken of the VNC (client), and OSXvnc (server) from a Jaguar Machine to a Panther machine over 802.11b. Not especially fast and prone to freezes. But when it works it's good. ANy more reports on other VNC servers & clients?

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2004, 02:08 AM

Chicken is ok, but I have experienced the infinite loop thing, and I find it annoying when I mistype a password and it closes the dialog box, rather than allowing me to try again. That's a minor point, I guess.

I tend to use VNCthing these days, though, because I really like the way it can scale the remote display. I connect from a Tibook to a 1600x1200 display, so without scaling I'm constantly scrolling. With scaling, I can often accomplish what I want, even with the slightly miniaturized display.

badtz
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 06:37 PM

any new words/updates on any VNC client applications?

is OSXvnc the best vnc server?

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 10:39 PM

I've been going through many VNC clients/servers for OS X.

I don't know any other currently maintained server than OSXvnc at the moment and the current version 1.32 works very well. One could wish that it shows the mouse cursor and that it had better support for non-US keyboards though.

For clients, Chicken of the VNC wins before VNCThing 2.2 which is no longer officialy available it seems, at least http://www.webthing.net/ seems to be dead. It's a pity because it's still the best client for older Mac OS and I don't like Mac sites to go.
However, the current version of Chicken of the VNC has a bug with fullscreen mode and OS 10.3 and the project admin does not want (for some strange reason i don't understand) to release a version with an already existing fix until he got an issue with some encoding and a Windows VNC server solved, so who wants a working version with a working key combination to enter/leave fullscreen mode has to get the current version from CVS and build it their own. I didn't experience any freezes yet. Something one could wish was antialiased scaling, but usually it would be better so set the resolution of the remote machine to something smaller.

Now other people might use VNC a different way and might find that for example VNCDimension or any of the other VNC clients fits their needs better.

-

badtz
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 01:27 AM

is VNC heavy on bandwidth [since it basically just sends full sized images] ? how does it compare to Apple remote Desktop and Timbuktu ?

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 01:33 AM

I'm currently using VNCViewer on Mac OS 10.3. Suits me fine. Unfortunately, VNCViewer isn't exactly low-bandwidth-friendly. It easily takes up about 120-240KBps on my Airport connection. With TightVNC on Linux/Windows, I can get much, MUCH smaller bandwidth consumptions. So much so it works fine on a dial-up 14.4Kbps modem.

I've to give Chicken of the VNC a try again, but last I used it, it wasn't as stable as I wanted it to be (see infinite loop remark mentioned above). RealVNC is now at v4.0 beta, I wonder if there's a Mac build out there.

badtz
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 02:47 AM

Is TightVNC the client?

so if you were on a windows machine logging into OSXvnc, the bandwidth can be compressed/limited?

any experiences w/ARD/Timbuktu?

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 06:33 AM

TightVNC makes their own VNC server and client. One of its major differences between the regular VNC client from RealVNC is that it focuses more on securing (encrypting) the data sent during the session, and that its "lighter", too. The TightVNC programs are compatible with other VNC/RFB3.3-compatible programs.

The TightVNC client has an option to specify the level of custom compression and JPEG compression, along with the slew of encodings, such as Tight (fast and secure), Hextile (fast), CoRRE, RAW (fat and slow), and the like. Though you'll need TightVNC server to take advantage of the tight encoding, you can still use the client to customize compression.

RealVNC v4.0 beta has different modes of operation as well, such as dial-up, broadband, LAN, etc, but you'll need both v4.0-compatible client/server to take advantage of that.

badtz
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2004, 06:38 AM

From the looks of the TightVNC website, there's no OSX server/client ?

My upstream is capped @ 10KBps, which really bites when I try and log in remotely

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2004, 03:14 PM

I tried the various clients and settled on Chicken because all the others had high cpu utilisation, even when minimised/hidden. Since I like to keep the vnc window connected but not active, this wasn't an option.

However, Chicken has a poor UI, no advanced features and a complete lack of keyboard shortcuts (command-Q anyone?).

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Mr Scruff:
I tried the various clients and settled on Chicken because all the others had high cpu utilisation, even when minimised/hidden. Since I like to keep the vnc window connected but not active, this wasn't an option.

However, Chicken has a poor UI, no advanced features and a complete lack of keyboard shortcuts (command-Q anyone?).
the lack of keyboard shortcuts is intentional -- command-Q should and does tell the foreground app in your vnc session to quit, not the vnc client on the local machine.

Turias
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 04:48 PM

Ugh, connecting from work to home is painfully slow.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2004, 05:12 PM

Command-Q will of course get sent to the remote machine like any other keystrokes. What you might want are easy to remember but rare and different key combinations to control the local chicken. There are some proposals and requests in the Bugs and Support area of Chicken's sourceforge pages. Maybe you can add something if you have a good idea.

Other than that what do you consider poor?

-

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2004, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
the lack of keyboard shortcuts is intentional -- command-Q should and does tell the foreground app in your vnc session to quit, not the vnc client on the local machine.
That doesn't make sense to me - VNC doesn't make any attempts to make you feel like you're doing anything other than viewing a remote machine, so why try and integrate?

Ahhh actually I see the problem - you guys are using it to control other Macs - I'm using it to control a PC. I guess it makes more sense in that context - but I still don't think it's a good idea. Perhaps in fullscreen mode, but definitely not when you're running in a window. It's too un-maclike to not have command-Q not quit the local running app.

Originally posted by Moonray:
Command-Q will of course get sent to the remote machine like any other keystrokes. What you might want are easy to remember but rare and different key combinations to control the local chicken. There are some proposals and requests in the Bugs and Support area of Chicken's sourceforge pages. Maybe you can add something if you have a good idea.
I would but chicken doesn't seem to be under active development (1 release in a year). Infact I'd help out with development except I have no spare time.

Other than that what do you consider poor?
Don't get me wrong - I know it's free software and I'm glad to have it. Like I said in my earlier posting, I think the UI (various dialogs etc) are poor and have non-standard interface elements - not that this really matters once you have it set up.

The big feature I would like is dynamic resizing of the VNC window, done in OpenGL.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2004, 08:59 AM

That doesn't make sense to me - VNC doesn't make any attempts to make you feel like you're doing anything other than viewing a remote machine, so why try and integrate?

Ahhh actually I see the problem - you guys are using it to control other Macs - I'm using it to control a PC. I guess it makes more sense in that context - but I still don't think it's a good idea. Perhaps in fullscreen mode, but definitely not when you're running in a window. It's too un-maclike to not have command-Q not quit the local running app.
Oh yes of course heh. I am using it to control another Mac in fullscreen mode and there it makes perfectly sense. So i figure what we want is a per-connection setting of how to handle the Command Key.
I would but chicken doesn't seem to be under active development (1 release in a year). Infact I'd help out with development except I have no spare time.
Yes, I find it a bit strange too that he does not release the already done bugfix. However the main developer is posting almost daily in the GUI Customization forum here and is author of the shareware Themepark which might be more attractive to work on. And then it's probably a time issue for him too.
It would be nice to get some of his attention to this thread.
Don't get me wrong - I know it's free software and I'm glad to have it. Like I said in my earlier posting, I think the UI (various dialogs etc) are poor and have non-standard interface elements - not that this really matters once you have it set up.
Now where you say it ... the table to turn the different encodings on and off is weird, but then I never had to deal with it yet.
The big feature I would like is dynamic resizing of the VNC window, done in OpenGL.
Agreed. That would certainly be more than bugfixing and maintaining the current features though.

-

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2004, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by badtz:
From the looks of the TightVNC website, there's no OSX server/client ?

My upstream is capped @ 10KBps, which really bites when I try and log in remotely
Not entirely. There's a fink port of the tightvnc client/server application, so if you're running fink you can install it natively. It'll open if X11 is running. I use it at home to connect to my xp box wirelessly, and it is far less painful than any other client out there. You can actually do a little work and not just turn the bloody machine on and off.
Swimming upstream since 1994.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2004, 12:53 PM

I use Apple's Remote Desktop to periodically launch apps or change settings on my Mac at work from home. While its a bit faster than VNC in my experience, its still a bandwidth hog.

By far the best implementation of a remote desktop must go to Microsoft. XP Pro's remote desktop feature works so much better over cable/DSL than any other system I've used. Even the Mac client for MS Remote Desktop is killer. At home, I connect to my WinXP box via gigabit ethernet, and its so good I literally never sit in front of the actual PC. Its presently in a closet in the basement! I push/pull applications and data remotely at near FireWire speeds, so I never even have to go to the machine to pop in a CD. Orders of magnitude faster than PC'ing using VirtualPC.


JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2004, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
[BBy far the best implementation of a remote desktop must go to Microsoft. XP Pro's remote desktop feature works so much better over cable/DSL than any other system I've used. Even the Mac client for MS Remote Desktop is killer. At home, I connect to my WinXP box via gigabit ethernet, and its so good I literally never sit in front of the actual PC. Its presently in a closet in the basement! I push/pull applications and data remotely at near FireWire speeds, so I never even have to go to the machine to pop in a CD. Orders of magnitude faster than PC'ing using VirtualPC. [/B]
I'm curious. Have you played any games through Remote Desktop via gigabit?

aung_phyo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma View Post
TightVNC makes their own VNC server and client. One of its major differences between the regular VNC client from RealVNC is that it focuses more on securing (encrypting) the data sent during the session, and that its "lighter", too. The TightVNC programs are compatible with other VNC/RFB3.3-compatible programs.

The TightVNC client has an option to specify the level of custom compression and JPEG compression, along with the slew of encodings, such as Tight (fast and secure), Hextile (fast), CoRRE, RAW (fat and slow), and the like. Though you'll need TightVNC server to take advantage of the tight encoding, you can still use the client to customize compression.

RealVNC v4.0 beta has different modes of operation as well, such as dial-up, broadband, LAN, etc, but you'll need both v4.0-compatible client/server to take advantage of that.
Hello dear,
Can you tell me please how to use that VNC software ? I just don't know how to start to use it . I've installed it on my computer and there is also another computer which is connected to my computer by LAN . But on that computer I'ven't installed that software. How can I view my computer from another computer . Or can I view that computer from my computer ? Thank you friend. Let me wait for your answer .
Good luck

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2007, 09:13 AM

ZOMBIE thread warning.

Instead of resurrecting a 3 year old thread create a new one.
Michael

aung_phyo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2007, 03:51 AM

I've installed VNC viewer and known how to use it. But i've error like that "unable to connect to host : connection time out (10060)" . Do anybody know how to fix it ? Please tell me if anybody know about it. Thank you all. Good luck to u

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2007, 12:35 AM

i need a good vnc viewer that scales. chicken seems to crash on me for no reason and not connect for that matter either.
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by aung_phyo View Post
Hello dear,

<snip>

Thank you friend. Let me wait for your answer .
Good luck
Why does your writing style remind me of Nigerian spam e-mails?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by aung_phyo View Post
Hello dear,
Can you tell me please how to use that VNC software ? I just don't know how to start to use it . I've installed it on my computer and there is also another computer which is connected to my computer by LAN . But on that computer I'ven't installed that software. How can I view my computer from another computer . Or can I view that computer from my computer ? Thank you friend. Let me wait for your answer .
Good luck

Type in "vncserver" in the command line to start the server, and then connect to it via any VNC client on port 5901 (display 1).

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 09:17 AM

Some quick math:
Thread start March 3, 2003 today is May 11, 2007 makes four years, two months and a week.
Gotta be a record!

wingdo
Senior User
May 11, 2007, 05:02 PM

But it got answered.

We're a persistent bunch. (or is it bored?)
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules