Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Invisible files after using Clients Network?

Invisible files after using Clients Network?
headbirth
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 01:44 PM

Hi, I recently spent alot of time connected to my clients network (NT I believe) and have since discovered a hidden file called Nav 7.0 Quick Scan on my drive root level. I'm assuming it was there network or some other network running a Virus Check on my machine, but where did it get permission to drop files on my drive? And is it O.K. to delete files like this?

This may have also come from my local libraries network as well ... not sure.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 03:57 PM

Just delete it and don't look back.

Did you (or your client) mount your drive on one of the client's machines? It may have performed a scan at that time.

I don't know of any software that hunts for computers and scans them on the network covertly - so this is the only idea I have.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 05:32 PM

Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh (NAVM) creates an invisible file at the root level of every drive the first time that it scans, which it refers to on subsequent scans. The size of this file depends on the number of files on the scanned drive. This file is named NAV QuickScan 5.0, NAV 6.0 QuickScan, NAV 7.0 QuickScan or NAVMac800QSFile. This is a default feature of NAVM and cannot be disabled. The purpose of the file is to track changes made to the volume and give feedback on these changes to the Norton AntiVirus program.

Additional detail (and how to remove it if you must) can be found at http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT.../1996716103713
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

headbirth  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 08:40 PM

Ah hah ... that's probably it. I did mount my PB on one of there machines.

Thanks for the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules