Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ReNicing, a good idea?

ReNicing, a good idea?
pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2004, 01:17 PM

Iím new to the world of ReNicing and think I now understand enough to venture forth. OTOH, I have made monumental mistakes by assuming I knew what I was doing. Now I at least check with them what knows...

So if you have opinions, musing, thoughts, rants, raves, re renicing and what shareware/freeware is preferable (I am still apprehensive about renicing through Terminal) well, I do value and appreciate your time.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 01:36 PM

I say: Don't bother. I've never felt the need to do anything like that on my 800MHz iBook G4, which is not even a fast machine.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 04:09 PM

The only thing I ever renice is Virtual PC - and get this - I do it to LOWER it's scheduling priority (raise it's nice level to 10 to be precise). I do this because VPC frequently sucks up so much CPU that in fullscreen or windowed mode it can disable my computer and require a hard reboot.

So, that's my renice story - and I'm sticking to it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2004, 05:23 PM

I don't think you can do any damage with renice, so go ahead and play with it.

That said, I've never noticed the difference after renicing an app...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CatOne
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 06:06 PM

It's not worth the effort, in general, unless you have some background processing app that you want to be running all the time crunching numbers or the like.

Renicing will only make a difference if your machine is 100% busy with multiple applications -- in which case the high priority apps will be given more priority than the low ones.

If you're not doing anything *else*, then a "nice" app will take 100% of the CPU itself because there's nothing else working.

A good "nice" app is something like [email protected]

pendragon  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2004, 07:35 AM

Thank you all for your comments. Most appreciated!

Now, armed with your feedback, I have decided to give it rest and not go mucking about.

Thanks again and have a nice day.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

khufuu
Sep 4, 2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by pendragon:
Thank you all for your comments. Most appreciated!

Now, armed with your feedback, I have decided to give it rest and not go mucking about.

Thanks again and have a nice day.
Ah! If you want to play with it, play with it. You won't break anything and you must might learn a few things along the way. That part of the fun about *nix.

Forum Links
Forum Rules