Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Apple condoning theming?

Apple condoning theming?
Algernnon
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2004, 01:25 PM

Very strange to see this on Apple's software pages:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...peshifter.html

Way to go Unsanity!

I'm with stupid
---->

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2004, 01:50 PM

I noticed they also started putting themes in their Icons, etc. section. http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...othmetal3.html

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 01:55 PM

From the apple link in the first post
- Clicking a hyperlink of the form guiKit://www.someHost.com/myGreatTheme.guiKit launches ShapeShifter, downloads the theme, and loads it into ShapeShifter for you.
WOAH! I didn't know that!!! Thats amazing!
( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 6, 2004 at 02:04 PM. )

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 02:03 PM

I think I saw SS up there a few months ago...
click one

Mike S.
Senior User
Sep 6, 2004, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
WOAH! I didn't know that!!! Thats amazing!
Couldn't such things be construed as a security risk?

I'm generally against click and install technologies from web pages.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 02:45 PM

I uploaded my last theme a few weeks back and they accepted it right away
How funny is that
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Jadey
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2004, 02:48 PM

That's cool! Apple has historically turned their noses up at theming. This is a refreshing change. I think we should personalize our personal computers. I bought Shapeshifter months ago and love it.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Mike S.:

what's the worst that could happen? Even if it installs a ugly windoze theme all you have to do is un-install it.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 03:16 PM

Color me suprised. Way to go apple.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2004, 04:19 PM

I think their attitude changed because of shapeshifter. It's a safe way to theme as you are not really replacing the images but rather redirecting calls to the images to another directory.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2004, 05:07 PM

To my knowledge, Apple doesn't choose what goes on that page. If you pay for an ADC Membership, your applications get added to their downloads page.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 06:01 PM

Yeah this great fo the Gui community!

penguinn
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Caesar2099:
I noticed they also started putting themes in their Icons, etc. section. http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...othmetal3.html
wow that theme looks nice
lol
They put it on because I submitted it.... but just the fact that they accepted it shows that they are okay with themes.
*DeXtop GUI

FauxCaster
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2004, 07:16 PM

I wouldn't say this is "condoning": Apple is providing links to these applications as a courtesy, and makes no representations regarding the applications or any information related thereto. Any questions, complaints or claims regarding the applications must be directed to the appropriate software vendor.

More like washing their hands of the inevitable.

JoE950
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2004, 08:04 PM

this is amazing, jason needs to get a package ready to be sold in apple stores. how cool would it be to have a dvd case with an ss installer in it, including an archive of all the great current themes (whos artists wish to have their work included in such a release, of course)?

ive looked several times on macs at the apple store hoping to see the shape shifter logo in the system prefs... but never any luck. the day i witness that will be a great day!

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 08:18 PM

the day we start having to pay for themes.... it won't be fun anymore... i mean paying for ashapeshifter is one thing and buying the archive would be another but starting to pay for indivual themes would be horrible... I Love themes and gui but i'm not willing to drop alot of money....

crooner
Senior User
Sep 6, 2004, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Caesar2099:
Who would have thunk it?!?

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

JoE950
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2004, 10:52 PM

who the hell said anything about buying individual themes? that idea has been beaten to death in previous discussions. the world would never be that fair to themers for their hard work. ever

i believe Komisar is the only person that would pay for the archive.. i envisioned it to be included in the standard ss price. but then again a newbie who stumbles on it in a store would probably go for it..

Komisar
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 11:06 PM

So are you implying that im a newbie joe.... And also I meant that if ss came bundled with it like buying ss and paying a few extra dollars like 5 or something w/e i mean if ss where in stores and stuff i wouldn't mind the paying the xtra five bucks

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Mike S.:

Nah, it's using the standard Launch Services mechanism to do this, so it's as secure as anything else that uses this mechanism (which is a lot of stuff).

There was a large security vulnerability using this Launch Services technique a few months ago. My work with SS was what inspired me to write Paranoid Android to "plug the hole" until Apple resolved it.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 7, 2004, 02:21 AM

This is oooold!!!

There was a thread here before when someone noticed ThemePark on the site a year or so ago. Look it up...I'm too lazy.

READ the disclaimer on the site. They aren't condoning anything. Sounds more like a warning to me...

JoE950
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 04:34 PM

not that you are a newbie Komisar, its just that there is no point in charging extra for the archive.. it wouldnt take much effort to organize, and it would be almost impossible to figure out how to divide it amongst the contributing themers.. besides the extra charge could only hope to cover packaging costs.

screw it, another idea brought to you by the makers of the safety belt.

(yes, i invented the safety belt, and dont you dare google up anything to the contrary)

BurningBright
Sep 7, 2004, 11:23 PM

This is a page to let people know what is out there. I'm surprised duality isn't there as well. It's no reliable indication that Apple encourages or for that matter condones theming. It is certainly nice to have some additional exposure, though.
I have no credentials whatsoever to post here.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2004, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by BurningBright:
This is a page to let people know what is out there. I'm surprised duality isn't there as well. It's no reliable indication that Apple encourages or for that matter condones theming. It is certainly nice to have some additional exposure, though.
The problem with duality is that it's a hack that replaces system files which would probably be a no no in Apple's book. I don't think they would promote software that could potentially hose your system.

The skinning done by shapeshifter is non-destructive. You don't have to switch back to aqua with shapeshifter. Restoring aqua is as simple as disabling shapeshifter.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2004, 05:45 AM

cool .. people always ask me about the look of osx =) .. guess they really love the hard work of themers in the mac community

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 11, 2004, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by aristotles:
I think their attitude changed because of shapeshifter. It's a safe way to theme as you are not really replacing the images but rather redirecting calls to the images to another directory.
Apple's issues with themeing had nothing to do with the "safety" of it.

For one the "it's not safe unless you use a theme program" is FUD. I've been doing it manually since before the first Public Beta with NO problems.

Apple was against themes because of consistency. Steve also wanted OS X to have a "look" and to be known for that Look.

It has nothing to do with shapeshifter.

Not to knock on shapeshifter because it's a great app, but if Apple wanted to, it could make a similar app that did more in less time if it so wanted to.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2004, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Apple's issues with themeing had nothing to do with the "safety" of it.

For one the "it's not safe unless you use a theme program" is FUD. I've been doing it manually since before the first Public Beta with NO problems.

Apple was against themes because of consistency. Steve also wanted OS X to have a "look" and to be known for that Look.

It has nothing to do with shapeshifter.

Not to knock on shapeshifter because it's a great app, but if Apple wanted to, it could make a similar app that did more in less time if it so wanted to.
Do you have to state the obvious? I was a licensed duality user when i was running Jaguar. I known how those themes worked and i did not have any problems either because I made sure to revert back to Aqua before applying 10.2.x updates. Some people did not and they ended up with a hosed system. That does not sound safe to me.

I think it had everything to do with safety and supportability of their software. Do you think they would want to field support calls from users with hosed systems caused by not reverting to aqua? You've never worked in tech support have you? Because, if you did, you would know that tech support would frown on having to support systems that have been hacked manually by the user.

That whole consistency thing was not as big an issue as the whole stability issue. It is true that they would not create a themer themselves because of a desire for consistency but they would not frown on a themer like shapeshifter that you can turn off with the click of a button.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 12, 2004, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by aristotles:
Do you have to state the obvious?

Wha? I said basically the opposite as you did, and yet you claim it was obvious?

I was a licensed duality user when i was running Jaguar. I known how those themes worked and i did not have any problems either because I made sure to revert back to Aqua before applying 10.2.x updates. Some people did not and they ended up with a hosed system. That does not sound safe to me.

My point is, no way is safe on a user that is clueless. On someone that knows what they are doing, any way is safe. I've heard a lot of FUD about manually installing themes and how it can majority screw your system up. The only way it can, is if YOU screw it up.

I think it had everything to do with safety and supportability of their software. Do you think they would want to field support calls from users with hosed systems caused by not reverting to aqua? You've never worked in tech support have you?

Sure I have. I used to work at an ISP doing graphics work and tech support. Worked there fore 3 years. Don't be so quick to make assumptions.

Because, if you did, you would know that tech support would frown on having to support systems that have been hacked manually by the user.

No matter how you install themes, you are hacking it manually.

That whole consistency thing was not as big an issue as the whole stability issue. It is true that they would not create a themer themselves because of a desire for consistency but they would not frown on a themer like shapeshifter that you can turn off with the click of a button.
Oh, I never said they were frowning on it. I never said they were negative about it in any way.

You were making assumptions that Apple's attitude has changed because of Shapeshifter.

I made a comment that Apple wouldn't just start supporting theming because someone suddenly came out with a nifty theme changer. They could have done it themselves.

There theming view is still the same.

Others have pointed out Apple really doesn't have anything to do with the page.

That is all I was saying. If you are trying to argue about anything else, your beef isn't with me bub.

Forum Links
Forum Rules