Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Duality is officially dead

Duality is officially dead
Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2005, 09:04 PM

http://gomac.blogspot.com/
Duality is dead... again...

Apparently even though the project is dead, development on Duality 5 has long stopped, and there haven't been updates too Duality 4.X in a long time (which would normally mean the project is dead), people are still buying Duality. We had a sale the other day where the person used Duality, registered it, then couldn't switch back to Aqua and wanted their money back. So, I issued a refund and instructed BMT Micro (who handles our sales) to finally kill the registration page on their end. On our end we had removed all the registration links, so people would have to search it up via Google.

I've gotten a lot of emails recently from people who are unhappy with the current theming situation and are asking for a new Duality. I'm not really allowed to say anything on the topic of themes. I would probably face death by Dave. I will say we are always looking for beta testers to add to larger beta tests. If you've emailed me, I've kept your email, and I haven't forgotten you.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 09:25 PM

OMG I'M SCAR3D!!! LOL

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2005, 10:01 PM

R.I.P (again)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 10:02 PM

Well all I can say is I hope gomac learned a lesson or two. Yet again he overhyped the new duality and said it was going to be released soon, I forget his exact wording.

My point is he overhyped his vaporware, now in paper his app sounded good and competition is always good but I like how Unsanity works by keeping things pretty quiet until release date, that way no unmet expectations.

Mike

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 10:43 PM

Hey what a surprise. Considering there was supposed to be something released late spring of last year, I'm shocked this wasn't revealed sooner.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2005, 12:23 AM

+1
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 01:39 AM

click one

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2005, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Hey what a surprise. Considering there was supposed to be something released late spring of last year, I'm shocked this wasn't revealed sooner.
This reminds me of the William Bart themes.....
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2005, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by gdiddy:
This reminds me of the William Bart themes.....
Please just let it die.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2005, 02:38 PM

Gee, I'm sure I *should* feel some form of loss over this, but uh... well, you know.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2005, 06:54 PM

Well, contrary to the general feeling, I'm actually a bit sad. I had wanted for Duality to succeed, not because I don't like Shapeshifter (which I do) but rather to encourage a spirit of competition (plus, they had mentioned at one point they'd release a lite version of Duality that would theme for free). Regardless, I can't say that this wasn't expected, but I still wish Duality 5 had become a reality.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2005, 07:12 PM

is't a bit sad that we have no alternative to SS. although it's a great app.

we need more people involved!!!

osx themeing development is so slooooooooooooooooow

Always dark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2005, 08:56 PM

hah theres more than what you think going on ShapeShifter WILL DIE
You know not why i am here but
knowing is a gift

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2005, 09:10 PM

I lurk here a lot, but someone pointed this post out to me so I'll go ahead and reply.

The Duality project was dissolved I think around November of last year. The source code was disassembled and what was useful was pushed into other projects. Currently we are working on a massive project called Radio which is related to software distribution, and data interaction between programs. We have around 5 subprojects under that to build software that works with Radio. As of early-December we were showing our theme engine to any 3rd parties that were interested. But, whatever happens, there won't be another theme changer under the name Duality. I can't promise some of Duality's source won't end up other places though.

While we aren't working on Duality, we are still maintaining the XScheme format, and our theme editor project is being transfered to someone else in Carpe Stellarem. Speculate at will.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2005, 01:07 AM

Sounds like we have something to wait for then.... YAWN.....

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2005, 01:45 AM

The project was dropped by the people who picked it up from the people who dropped it after picking it up from the people who ... you get the point ... but that's ok because it'll just be dropped again right before it's nearly complete and fully functional, only to be picked up again by another bunch at carpe whatever. It will actually be available last May, after it's finished by a team of time-traveling alien scientists, who are used to working backwards in time, and thus deliver on their promises even before they are announced. Just hang on a little more, then check your hard drives - you'll see, Duality has been there all along.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2005, 02:28 AM

I think Longhorn 2 will come out before Radio.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2005, 04:15 AM

IMHO the single worst thing gomac did was "integrate the project with carpe starlem" -- kinda like payment to get his job there, heh.

Oh well, duality is dead and anyone that stood up for him now looks like an ass. If you want to use themes, you have to buy shapeshifter, that or make your own, which does next to nothing compared to the other stuff.

Looks like we'll have to wait for the open source world to pick up the idea and go from there
Aloha

Fusion
Senior User
Jan 6, 2005, 04:42 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
I lurk here a lot, but someone pointed this post out to me so I'll go ahead and reply.

The Duality project was dissolved I think around November of last year. The source code was disassembled and what was useful was pushed into other projects. Currently we are working on a massive project called Radio which is related to software distribution, and data interaction between programs. We have around 5 subprojects under that to build software that works with Radio. As of early-December we were showing our theme engine to any 3rd parties that were interested. But, whatever happens, there won't be another theme changer under the name Duality. I can't promise some of Duality's source won't end up other places though.

While we aren't working on Duality, we are still maintaining the XScheme format, and our theme editor project is being transfered to someone else in Carpe Stellarem. Speculate at will.
That has to be the funniest thing I have read all day. Wow.

The balls....

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Always dark:
hah theres more than what you think going on ShapeShifter WILL DIE
Anyway.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules