Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > When I mount a server volume a finder windows opens, STOP IT

When I mount a server volume a finder windows opens, STOP IT
IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2005, 12:09 PM

Ok, I have a couple of mac that mount about 20 volumes. They all mount automatically at startup, but this happens anytime I mount a volume. A new finder window opens. How do I turn this off. Just because I mounted the volume doesn't mean I want to look at it. Is it possible to do this? I'm running 10.3.6.

Help

I've been searching forums for days for a solution.
"This is fun, right?"

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2005, 12:49 PM

I know this is really annoying. I too face this problem.

In any case how do you automount your volumes?? I have to manualy mount them once I reboot.

Thanks
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2005, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by IonCable:
Ok, I have a couple of mac that mount about 20 volumes. They all mount automatically at startup, but this happens anytime I mount a volume. A new finder window opens. How do I turn this off. Just because I mounted the volume doesn't mean I want to look at it. Is it possible to do this? I'm running 10.3.6.

Help

I've been searching forums for days for a solution.
Hold down the option key when you close one of the finder windows and it'll close all of them.

Ilja
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2005, 02:46 PM

I too have this problem. Checking 'hide' in startup-items doesn't solve the problem...
I'm Appleless and unhappy: tiBook is dead and iPod stolen

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2005, 03:42 PM

A few days ago I was playing with mounting samba shares from the command line using smbclient or mount_smbfs and I noticed that mounting them this way did not open their window like when the Finder mounts them. The only drawback is that you can't unmount them from the Finder, you'll have to do it with the umount command.

Unless you do it often, the syntax to mount from the commandline is tricky and has currently left me, but I figured it out using the man pages once.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

siMac
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2005, 03:55 PM

This bugs me too. I use Alt-Cmd-W to close all windows after a reboot, but I'd rather have them not open in the first place.

To addiecool, drag the mounted volume from your desktop to the startup items list in Accounts to have it automatically connect at login.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2005, 01:23 AM

Thanks man
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 05:00 AM

One possible work-around is to have an applescript mount the drives, then once they are mounted close all finder windows. The Applescript would check to make sure they mounted, then close the finder windows once all of the shares are mounted. I don't know Applescript, so I can't help you there.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2005, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by Mac Write:
One possible work-around is to have an applescript mount the drives, then once they are mounted close all finder windows. The Applescript would check to make sure they mounted, then close the finder windows once all of the shares are mounted. I don't know Applescript, so I can't help you there.
a better way to do this is to use NetInfo manager to specify mounts at startup, this is a tiny bit tricky to do, as you have to know what you are doing with NetInfo Manager and not screw things up, but it does provide a very convenient way to have your server mounts ready and waiting at all times, and no windows opening! A description of how to do it can be found at:

http://sial.org/howto/osx/automount/

utidjian
Senior User
Jan 18, 2005, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by shortcipher:
a better way to do this is to use NetInfo manager to specify mounts at startup, this is a tiny bit tricky to do, as you have to know what you are doing with NetInfo Manager and not screw things up, but it does provide a very convenient way to have your server mounts ready and waiting at all times, and no windows opening! A description of how to do it can be found at:

http://sial.org/howto/osx/automount/
I do a similar thing via an automount map from NIS. It was a real PITA to set it up the first time though because the information on exactly what to do was not in one place.

I have two servers running Red Hat Linux (currently 7.2 and 9). Each server exports their shares via NFS to the labs subnet. One server exports the users $HOME folders the other exports /scratch space that all users can read/write to.

The NIS server has a couple of tweaks:
I had to create a mounts.byname map in NIS by editing the /var/yp/Makefile and then running 'make' in /var/yp.
I had to edit my /etc/auto.master file and create an /etc/auto.macfile. Restart NFS and NIS. Done on the server side.

On the Mac OS X client side I had to tell /Applications/Utilities/Directory Access to use NIS and what the NIS domain was. Reboot. Done on the client side.

Now all clients automagically mount and unmount the shares. It takes minimal configuration on new clients. I can manage all shares to all clients on the fly by editing one file on the server.

I think all of the above is (or should be) do-able in Mac OS X Server, perhaps in a different way... I don't really know. I don't use the Xserves we have that way.
-DU-...etc...

jbhopper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2005, 10:34 AM

Make an applescript with just the code:

mount volume ("<protocol>://<server address>/<Drive Name>")

for example, mine is:
mount volume ("afp://192.168.1.99/Drive 1 (A-H)")
mount volume ("afp://192.168.1.99/Drive 2 (I-P)")
mount volume ("afp://192.168.1.99/Drive 3 (Q-Z)")

Save it as an application somewhere on your drive, and put that in your login items. If you need the User/pass in there you can do this for AFP:
afp://user;AUTH=authType:password@server-name:port/volume-name/path
( Last edited by jbhopper; Jan 19, 2005 at 10:40 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules