Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari or Firefox?

View Poll Results: Safari or Firefox?
Poll Options:
Safari 56 votes (60.87%)
Firefox 22 votes (23.91%)
Other (what and why?) 14 votes (15.22%)
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll
Safari or Firefox?
tictactoe
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2005, 03:22 AM

Which do you prefer and why?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 04:49 AM

Firefox. It has much greater functionality (through extensions), is themeable (I think these themes look nicer than Safari, and you can use my own Firefoxy for the widgets), and is faster (especially on slower connections).

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 06:31 AM

Safari for the only reason that it seems to handle lots of tabs (with videos and heavy content) better. Firefox is faster in most situations, although Camino is even faster.

shiira is still being played with, but is promising.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Deimos
Feb 26, 2005, 07:33 AM

If I was to choose between Safari or Firefox, I'd say Firefox. It's not always faster than Safari, but the cookie handling is far better, for what I need. Plus, extensions really makes a difference.

In saying that, though, I actually use OmniWeb, it's just loaded up with features. Can be a bit slow, but really, not much, and the feature-set makes up for it.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 09:03 AM

I'm leaning towards Firefox because of it's browsing speed. I can't figure out how to get my bookmarks imported from Safari though.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 09:13 AM

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
Do. A. Search.
Screw. You. I did a search and didn't find that program. But thanks, it did work.

asxless
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 11:12 AM

Isn't it great to have these two excellent browsers to chose from?

I use FireFox for 90% of my browsing and Safari for the rest. I find FireFox to be faster overall and much faster on some graphics laden sites. But I prefer Safari for a few financial sites and the Apple support forums. So I keep both loaded at all times and use one that works best for each site i visit.

-- asxless in iLand

ogun
Feb 26, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
I'm leaning towards Firefox because of it's browsing speed. I can't figure out how to get my bookmarks imported from Safari though.
In Safari...

turn on the Debug menu.

select 'export bookmarks'.

This will generate a file named 'Safari Bookmarks' in the target folder of your choice.

In Firefox...

select 'Manage Bookmarks' from the 'Bookmarks' menu

This will open the 'Bookmarks Manager' window. Select 'Import' from the 'File' menu. Navigate to the folder where you put Safari Bookmarks. Import. Edit as you wish.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2005, 01:51 PM

Firefox on Windows seems a little more polished than the version for the Mac. Plus. Safari 2.0 is coming around the corner.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TheAlbinoBowler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2005, 02:41 PM

I use Omniweb 80% of the time, with the remainder being Firefox for testing sites I am building and using some of the Web Developer tools. I'd use Firefox way more, maybe even full time, if it didn't conflict with Codetek Virtual Desktop in such an annoying manner.

Wevah
Senior User
Feb 26, 2005, 05:57 PM

I use Camino, for two reasons: I like it, and I'm biased because I help out a bit.

[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 07:58 PM

I mainly use Safari because I like the look of it and it doesn't get in the way too often. When I have compatibility probelms, I use the original Mozilla from the Mozilla suite.

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2005, 09:29 PM

It really is hard to decide sometimes. I seem to change browsers every few months. I'm hooked on Shiira right now for it's Cocoa goodness and it's nice features. Second to it I prefer Camino. Firefox is very nice though. And I see little reason to go back to Safari. 2.0 doesn't seem to have any features to top Camino, Firefox, Shiira, OmniWeb, etc.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 04:37 AM

As much as I love Firefox on my PC, I wouldn't use anything but Safari on my Mac. I like it better.

(Also I like how iSync keeps my bookmarks in sync on all my machines.) :-)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2005, 07:13 AM

1. Omniweb, because the nice features and flexibility it has built in are second-to-none. Site-specific browsing preferences are indispensible!

2. Camino, because it's the fastest browser on OS X. It's hard to beat the gecko engine in a native Cocoa interface. Downsides: no spell-checking, no Midas (yet), incorrect gamma rendering on PNG images.

Honourable Mentions:

3. Safari still gets used from time to time because it's always getting faster and it has the best text form autofill.

4. Firefox occasionally gets used for the extra functionality of its many extensions. It's also the cleanest-looking Mac browser. The downsides: form widgets look awful, and the broken middle-click functionality makes it un-usable for me.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2005, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by CaptainHaddock:
1. Omniweb, because the nice features and flexibility it has built in are second-to-none. Site-specific browsing preferences are indispensible!
What do you mean by this? With pithhelmet, you can set specific site preferences with Safari.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 09:18 AM

The downsides: form widgets look awful, and the broken middle-click functionality makes it un-usable for me.
Do people not even read threads before posting? As I already mentioned before, there's Firefoxy.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2005, 09:25 AM

If you're going to use suff like FireFoxy, why not just get Safari Enhancer (free) and Pithhelmet and be done with it?

Ans yes, Wataru, we all know you're a big FF proponent. It's just that you often come across as too strident in your support without looking at needs and concerns in a fair and unbiased manner.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2005, 09:28 AM

Firefox. More extensible, and better widgets (i.e. widgets which can respond to styling).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 10:25 AM

Randman:

Is Pithhelmet still causing significant slowdowns? problems with various sites?

I gave up on it a year or so ago ovr such issues.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
If you're going to use suff like FireFoxy, why not just get Safari Enhancer (free) and Pithhelmet and be done with it?

Ans yes, Wataru, we all know you're a big FF proponent. It's just that you often come across as too strident in your support without looking at needs and concerns in a fair and unbiased manner.
Safari Enhancer doesn't get Safari even close to the extensibility of Firefox, and Pithhelmet is not free (and I've found that it slows Safari down significantly) unlike the Adblock extension.

I apologize for coming on too strong about this, but I find many of the reasons people don't like Firefox to be pretty stupid. It's not Cocoa? The widgets are ugly? Please.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 10:47 AM

I actually realised I don't know which I prefer. I just looked at my dock:

Adopt-A-Yankee

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 12:23 PM

Do we all agree that the version of IE that's (still) bundled with OSX has been left in the dust?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2005, 01:28 PM

1) IE? Is that like Netscape?

2) No worries, Wataru, you always have something good to say, but sometimes the message is a bit strident, imo.

3) yes, the latest builds of pith is much better. I also dropped it for the last version but gave it a try after reading some good things and it's been good so far. A drastic improvement.

Wevah
Senior User
Feb 27, 2005, 03:54 PM

[B]2. Camino, [...] Downsides: [...] no Midas (yet), [...]
Midas works in the most recent nightlies, FWIW. Of course, there are a few other bugs that cropped up recently, as well, the most annoying of which is someone else's fault. ;P
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2005, 06:45 PM

Firefoxy? Never heard of it, but if you have to install additional apps to make Firefox work properly, that's another downside.

Pith Helmet? I've heard it costs money and eats tons of CPU cycles. Plus, you risk breaking things every time Safari gets updated.

Program + Add-on Program that might break on the next update is less optimal than a single program (like Omniweb) that already does everything. That's why Safari and Firefox get honourable mentions.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 06:51 PM

Camino, because it's the fastest browser on OS X. It's hard to beat the gecko engine in a native Cocoa interface. Downsides: no spell-checking, no Midas (yet), incorrect gamma rendering on PNG images.
ditto. not having autofill on forms is the one feature i truly miss when using camino.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 09:06 PM

I prefer Safari but I use Firefox on any other platform I'm using: qnx, irix, athene.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 09:32 PM

Firefoxy? Never heard of it, but if you have to install additional apps to make Firefox work properly, that's another downside.
Never heard of it, even though I already described it and linked to it earlier in this thread?

You don't have to "install" anything else, as I'd hardly call using Firefoxy an "installation." And how is changing the widget style "making it work properly?" That's such a pointless, nitpicky issue to begin with.

If you'd rather pay unnecessary money for a web browser than take 5 minutes to look into these things, then that's your business. But it seems pretty stupid to me.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2005, 09:41 PM

Firefox:

web developer extension
adblock extension
miniT extension
foxytunes extension
colorzilla extension
target alert extension

but Safari is good and fast and renders printing pages better

Opera is also a great broswer

IE sux (and I mean windows IE 6), it has terrible CSS interpretation - you have to constantly write hacks for it when using tableless layout. Not to mention no tabs, sucky popups, lame security, active x crap, weird javascript interpreter - ugh. kill me now.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2005, 11:48 PM

I use both regularly, depending on the site I want to go to. Using Safari on eBay is an exercise in JavaScript stupidity.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 01:13 AM

I typically use Safari, mainly because of the bookmark syncing feature (I have 3 machines - home, work, laptop) and having all my bookmarks stay synced is an invaluable feature.

For sites that don't seem to work properly on Safari, I will use Firefox.

On my PC, however, its Firefox virtually of the time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules