Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Idea to replace "jpeg orgies"

Idea to replace "jpeg orgies"
MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 05:37 PM

I had this great idea that would solve the problem of using inline images without mentioning it in the title. But since i have never used a forum I don't know if this exists or is even possible.

My idea is to find/make something that would put another icon next to a thread that contained images. The same way the icon changes when the thread has been visited, or posted in. Is this possible, or just a waste of time?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 06:33 PM

Seems a lot easier to put JPEG orgy or something similliar in the title.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2005, 01:14 AM

People might not know what the icon means. And it could look cluttered. I would think most people are going to be able to quickly guess what .jpg orgy means. Sometimes simpler is better.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 2, 2005, 12:53 AM

"JPEG orgy" doesn't signify that a thread has images, it signifies that a thread has lots of images and/or oversize images.

If we had an icon on every thread that had any inline images, half the threads would, and nobody would know which threads are image-heavy and which aren't.

Until we figure out a way for the forum software to determine inline image dimensions without wasting the bandwidth to download said image, it's gonna remain a manual process.

tooki

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
"JPEG orgy" doesn't signify that a thread has images, it signifies that a thread has lots of images and/or oversize images.

If we had an icon on every thread that had any inline images, half the threads would, and nobody would know which threads are image-heavy and which aren't.

Until we figure out a way for the forum software to determine inline image dimensions without wasting the bandwidth to download said image, it's gonna remain a manual process.

tooki
A lot of forum software applications let you set an icon next to the thread when creating it. You could have one designated the jpeg orgy one. It's still a manual process, and I think that's what MacMan4000 was suggesting.

Forum Links
Forum Rules