Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Overclocking Powerbook G4 Ti 867 to 1.13 and 1.2Ghz Guides Are gone

Overclocking Powerbook G4 Ti 867 to 1.13 and 1.2Ghz Guides Are gone
Cross
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2006, 11:21 PM

Ok these guides used to exist and flat out after seeing the Pismo Screen Flim upgrade and deciding I am just going to keep this I have decided to buy some copper heat sinks, artic silver 5 and take this Powerbook to 1.13 atleast if not 1.2.

I can already handle the OCing of the Radeon 9000 but I want to get the processor speed up to Alum speeds. (I will miss the 64MB of ram and def the radeon 9600/9700.... but oh well it was 200.00 for the laptop before I fixed the hinge, etc).

The Web Page on it seems gone and this is all the info I can find and there are no pics.

I can have this done in an hour if its just chip moving and soldering but they talk of voltage changes so i def want pics.

If I can get this done along with the ram sticks if I can ever find them lol and the other small cosmetics I will be very happy to keep this PB in the family for a long time to come... which is when the Duo Core 2 comes out in the MacBook Pro lol.

So... anyone have any of these guides backed up:
http://www.macmod.com/components/com...Hz_CPUtest.jpg[
"I see you have the ring and I see that your Schwartz is as big as mine." -- Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

I stayed up one night playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and 4 people died.

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2006, 09:50 PM

Ok I found the guide again and finished my OC to 1.2Ghz. I also added some copper heatsinks to the GPU as the alum one it had seemed... worthless to me lol.

It runs hotter so I am looking at finding a better cooling setup. I will also be adding some Artic Silver 5 when it comes in.

I will get some photo's up but I def like the 1.2Ghz, feels snapper but I def need to get up to 1Gig of ram.
"I see you have the ring and I see that your Schwartz is as big as mine." -- Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

I stayed up one night playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and 4 people died.

piroot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 05:20 AM

i would like to keep my 867MHZ TiBook for a few more years, & so would be very interested to learn how to OC as you describe. Any pics / description / cautions would be greatly appreciated.

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 11:48 AM

piroot I can ref you to the person who did mine. I have all the info but it requires doing chips that are about the size of pen points and I did not feel comfortable doing it so I paid to have a warrantied and experienced person do it.

He does it for 95.00 if you want his email or phone number let me know!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 12:19 PM

Could he do it to a 12 inch PowerBook G4 867? I would seriously consider doing this, but I too don't really feel to comfortable working like that.

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2006, 12:53 PM

I would need to find a guide for the Alum series as thats a different G4 processor model and board layout.

If we got him the info then yes he could do it.

Genehack
Aug 10, 2006, 07:34 AM

Her You go-
please post Your experiences, it will help all !

http://www.macxtrem.com/articles.php?article=71

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2006, 10:59 AM

I already did it and sold the TiBook it ent well 1.2ghz needed a little more voltage and just ran to hot even with all the heatsinks I added and changed.

So I ended up with 1.45V and 1.13 Ghz. Worked great.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2006, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Genehack
Her You go-
please post Your experiences, it will help all !

http://www.macxtrem.com/articles.php?article=71
I can't read French :, is there are way I can have that translated.

Cross  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2006, 11:50 AM

yeah type that addy into google and it will say trans. next to the link.

Forum Links
Forum Rules