Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Xbox 360 Ring of Death (Anyone else??)

Xbox 360 Ring of Death (Anyone else??)
@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 30, 2007, 08:48 PM

My brothers 360 just got the ring of death yesterday, and it won't even turn on anymore. I know this isn't an uncommon problem, but has anyone else here had this issue. How long am I looking at it taking to get fixed, if I were to send it in to Microsoft? I'm pretty mad, since I just got Call of Duty 4 and Mass Effect. Also does Microsoft pay for shipping? Thanks in advanced!

NYK Ace
Senior User
Dec 30, 2007, 11:20 PM

mine died - took about 2 1/2 weeks for me to get the box from microsoft and get it returned, microsoft pays all costs but i never received any email updates on the status as promised

then once i got it back.... i sold it and got a PS3. couldnt be happier

iMan G5
Dec 31, 2007, 12:41 AM

Not related but COD4 rocks.
iMac G5 1.9Ghz 2.5GB RAM 160 GB HD 17" widescreen + external regular 17

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2007, 12:52 AM

NYK: i got a ps3 too. i love it.

too bad the 360 is so messed up, everyone is getting those rings of death.. i even saw one at walmart lol..how can they expect ppl to buy them if this happens to the store ones.
check it out

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2007, 01:45 AM

My third XBox 360 got the TRLâ„¢ about 3 weeks after purchase. It had been screwing up on/off since day 1 though.

I no longer have a 360.

@pplejaxkz  (op)
Senior User
Dec 31, 2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by zerock View Post
NYK: i got a ps3 too. i love it.

too bad the 360 is so messed up, everyone is getting those rings of death.. i even saw one at walmart lol..how can they expect ppl to buy them if this happens to the store ones.
check it out
That's too funny! I'm seriously thinking about a PS3. I just want my, well my brothers, 360 fixed for now. I already have a good amount of games for it.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2007, 11:50 PM

My Xbox360 went RROD on me yesterday (third time now ) but I still love the console too much cuz of Xbox Live and plenty of great games.

For now I'll finish Uncharted (really great game btw), Heavenly Sword and playing a bit of The Club demo (from UK PS Store) which seems to be a great game (a mix of G.R.A.W. and CoD4 Arcade Mode) and also Battalion Wars 2 Wii and Super Mario Galaxy.

OP, you should call Xbox Support and they will mail you a return box asap for free and then mail either new or fixed one back to you in around 1 week but I'm assuming it'll take longer because of the holidays. It doesn't matter when you've purchased the console, they won't ask for receipt.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2008, 03:41 PM

I am now on my 6th console. Originally I purchased one launch day then a few months later they started to drop kick out. One I had for two weeks out of the "repair center" then it failed, then after that the next one lasted literally 5 minutes. Boy, how do I wish I could just scrap the thing but I get too much enjoyment out of it when the unreliable POS works. Now if they could only get Live stable. *grumble*

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 09:39 AM

Mine's fine, over a year and a half after I purchased it.

I don't do as much gaming on it as you guys, but I watch a lot of HD DVDs on it (and HD DVDs hit the CPU very, very hard on the 360).

Anyways, my nephew came at Xmas and played COD4 on it for 2 days straight.

dustrho
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2008, 07:03 PM

I'm on my third 360, as the first two I had both got the red rings of death. The first time it happened was three days after purchasing it from Wal-Mart (got it there because it was much cheaper at the time than anywhere else). Then it happened about 3 or 4 months later to me. I've been playing my third one now for about 8 months or more, and I haven't had a problem with it (yet anyway). I'm not sure if I have the one that has the corrected internal setup that stops them from breaking, but I've been a happy camper with it (until Live went coo-coo-ka-ka).

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 11:23 PM

What is actually causing the RRoD ? is it drive failure ? overheating ?

autumnrayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
What is actually causing the RRoD ? is it drive failure ? overheating ?
ive heard that some cases its caused because the connection between the GPU and the CPU is heating up so much that it comes loose.
all we were, and are we have done- just zeros and ones.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 11:19 AM

I replaced my first unit, but it didn't even get the RRoD, it was just freezing constantly and I had the replacement plan.

If it wasn't for the killer apps (games) for the 360 it would be the worst console ever, IMO.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 11:24 AM

With a 33% failure rate? Legendarily so.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 11:50 AM

Seriously, if I still have my original save data on an NES Zelda cartridge (12 yrs old now) why the hell doesn't a $400 piece of hardware (more like POS) die in a few months?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 11:52 AM

The more consoles become like computers the worse they've been getting.

JayMan8081
Jan 9, 2008, 11:55 AM

I am on my third console. The first one lasted me about 7 months, the second only made it 2 weeks, and I've had the third one for about 9 months now. I've built up too big of a Xbox 360 game collection to ever dump it now! I bought the 2 year warranty from MS after my first repair and then they upped everyone's warranty by a year so I know that I'll be covered for any errors (not just RRoD) for 3 years. When I had my problems they simply sent me a new console instead of repairing mine and sending me the same one back so I was only without an Xbox for about 2 weeks each time.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 12:23 PM

My xbox died with the red ring last week and I haven't had time to contact Microsoft and send it back yet; did buy a PS3 yesterday.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by NYK Ace View Post
mine died - took about 2 1/2 weeks for me to get the box from microsoft and get it returned, microsoft pays all costs but i never received any email updates on the status as promised

then once i got it back.... i sold it and got a PS3. couldnt be happier
Ditto.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 05:15 PM

I had one crap out on me.

My launch unit died about a year and 2 months after I bought it.

I had to pay $70 to have it fixed, but my money was eventually returned to me.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2008, 01:13 AM

I Actually got temporarily banned from an xbox forum for asking this, but...
I have a launch week 360, so it has the defective heat sink design. Obviously, MS admits to this, and extended the warranty for 3 years, etc, etc.
My console generally acts pretty well, but RRoDd on me once a few months ago (fixed it using the towel trick.) It freezes once a week or so (it's *not* overheating. Completely exposed in a cool room, and the fans never spin up anywhere near their max.
Obviously, sooner or later, it *will* die on me again (flawed heat sink design, again,) so I'd prefer to have that happen still in warranty. Also, given the random freezing, I'd really like to get this thing fixed. Therefore:
Is there any way to induce a RRoD? I got banned because they said I was "Trying to pull the wool over Microsoft's eyes." I strongly disagree. My thoughts are that it IS broken, and they FREELY fix the problem I have, because they know it is their design flaw.
My problem is, ever since the towel trick, it's not actually RRing on me anymore.
I Towel Tricked it thinking it would fix it. It stopped the RRoD, but now it just randomly freezes. Obviously, I'd love to have it fixed, but can't get it done under warranty w/o an ACTUAL RRoD...

Thoughts on the matter? Or am I just way out of line? I absolutely don't think I am, the people on the XS forums felt very differently.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2008, 07:33 AM

Justin, I personally have never done the towel trick out of all of the 360s I have gone through but if it is broken it is broken. Just call up tech support and tell them that you have the RRoD. They will tell you to go through the default troubleshooting but just continue to tell them the symptom is the same. Granted, it is bending the truth but other people have done the same and received a replacement. I personally do not have a problem with it because I know how poor the reliability is on these things and the RRoD is what drove you to use that method, although it might have been better to call them at that point. Just some thoughts.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Justin, I personally have never done the towel trick out of all of the 360s I have gone through but if it is broken it is broken. Just call up tech support and tell them that you have the RRoD. They will tell you to go through the default troubleshooting but just continue to tell them the symptom is the same. Granted, it is bending the truth but other people have done the same and received a replacement. I personally do not have a problem with it because I know how poor the reliability is on these things and the RRoD is what drove you to use that method, although it might have been better to call them at that point. Just some thoughts.
Ok, awesome, glad to hear I'm not the only person who thinks the way I do...
I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow, and see what they say. You're right, I should have just called them the first time, but I figured I could fix it. No luck.

Well, I'll report back, thanks.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
The more consoles become like Vista the worse they've been getting.
Fixinated®

Stizo99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 05:58 PM

Freakin Red Ring of Ass! Is this a problem on the Elites as well?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2008, 06:05 PM

AFAIK the older elites shared the exact same problem as all the other 360s (33% Failure rate)

Newer 360s use less wattage and produce less heat.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2008, 02:30 PM

The biggest issue after getting a replacement console due to a RRoD is the DRM is then broken for all your downloaded content...

Xbox.com | General Discussion - Cant play full versions of Arcade Games

I personally stopped playing my 360 after it RRoD. Even though I got a replacement, my $700 in downloadable content became almost worthless.

PS3 and Wii from now on for me.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2008, 02:57 PM

Why on Earth did you spend 700 dollars on downloadable content?!?!?

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Why on Earth did you spend 700 dollars on downloadable content?!?!?
At the time, why not? I bought a 360 for Xbox Live Arcade. What a disappointment 20 months later that turned out to be...
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2008, 06:48 PM

If it's a why not situation it doesn't seem like 700 dollars is that much money to you. Most people have ten or twenty bucks worth of stuff on their machines.....christ, the 360 games cost enough.

parkfam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2008, 06:49 PM

Would like to tell you my story. Our 360 went down (ring of death)shortly before Christmas. It was a year old. Called the repair center. They responded by sending a box. Mailed the thing out. 3 weeks later, received the package back. The letter inside stated they replaced the old 360 with a brand NEW ONE. Manufacturing date is 12/21/07. Box worked fine for 6 days. Ring of death yesterday. Were out of business again. Called the repair center. Sending box again. This time they want not only the game box, but the power cords also. How many times will it take to get a new one. I thought by them sending a NEW BOX, with the updated fixes, this would be the end of worrying about any failures. Apparently Microsoft still does not know how to make the repairs needed.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2008, 12:35 PM

If it's a why not situation it doesn't seem like 700 dollars is that much money to you. Most people have ten or twenty bucks worth of stuff on their machines.....christ, the 360 games cost enough.
So just because I spent $700 on content I have no right to complain about their DRM and RROD?
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2008, 01:00 PM

Let this be a lesson to you in the future about buying 700 dollars worth of something you don't physically own.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2008, 01:04 PM

Wow, you just don't get it do you? There is a big difference between Microsoft's DRM and say the DRM of Apple's iTunes or Sony's PS3.

The fact that Microsoft had over 30% failure rate on their product is not the fault of the consumer. I haven't spent a nickel on MS's crap box since mine RRoD, retail or otherwise. Given the fact that their DRM is not consumer friendly at all, I'm trying to let other folks know about it because most of them don't.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2008, 01:12 PM

I get it just fine. Which is why I don't spend money on DRMed anything.

Again, take this as a lesson for the future.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2008, 01:33 PM

I get it just fine. Which is why I don't spend money on DRMed anything.
Sorry to inform you but the future is DRMed everything in regards to video gaming. You can choose to buy nothing. I will choose to stand up for consumer rights and only support companies who's DRM policies reflect consumer trust.

To say you haven't spent any money on DRMed content is hypocritical.
MacBook Pro

voo
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2008, 02:37 PM

For those that haven't seen...

Microsoft Insider: Xbox 360 Team Knowingly Launched Faulty Hardware
DailyTech - Microsoft Insider: Xbox 360 Team Knowingly Launched Faulty Hardware

Aegis
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by gbafan View Post
I will choose to stand up for consumer rights and only support companies who's DRM policies reflect consumer trust.
If they trusted consumers they wouldn't use DRM in the first place

So you're using the same Gamertag, just on a different console that was sent to you because of RROD? If that's the case you should call customer support. It seems only right that they fund your account so you can re-buy the games or something along those lines. If they refuse to help, then that's ludicrous and I'd raise a fit until you get somewhere.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by gbafan View Post
Sorry to inform you but the future is DRMed everything in regards to video gaming. You can choose to buy nothing. I will choose to stand up for consumer rights and only support companies who's DRM policies reflect consumer trust.

To say you haven't spent any money on DRMed content is hypocritical.
I guess physical disks have DRM on them, so yeah I bought into it that way. As far as downloading a digital file that has no way of being backed up..maybe it's the future but it ain't my future.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2008, 03:53 PM

I guess physical disks have DRM on them, so yeah I bought into it that way. As far as downloading a digital file that has no way of being backed up..maybe it's the future but it ain't my future.
Your gamertag suggests otherwise.

Sign In

Again, my point is simple. Be very careful about buying things off of the Xbox Live Marketplace. Even free games/themes/gamer pics/videos have DRM attached to them.
MacBook Pro

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
If they trusted consumers they wouldn't use DRM in the first place

So you're using the same Gamertag, just on a different console that was sent to you because of RROD? If that's the case you should call customer support. It seems only right that they fund your account so you can re-buy the games or something along those lines. If they refuse to help, then that's ludicrous and I'd raise a fit until you get somewhere.
DRM comes from the producer of the content. So, in theory it's the producers who don't trust consumers. However, some companies will stand up for the consumer and offer better DRM policies i.e. Apple and Sony. Microsoft took the other approach and determined that once you buy something from them it's locked to the originating console forever.

Calling support is generally pointless. The particular issue is too hard for them to grasp. Some folks have been able to get resolution to this problem after 3 months of calling. Microsoft will transfer the licenses of your DLC from your old console to your new one but it takes at minimum 3 months and usually much, much longer as proven in the thread above.

The issue however doesn't go away. Once your refurbished console dies again due to hardware failure you'll need to start this process all over again. If this were to happen with your MacBook or Sony PS3, you just activate your new machine. You can also deactivate your old machines. Heck, Apple allows you to deactivate all your machines once per year. Sony allows you to use your downloaded content on up to 5 different PS3s and 5 different PSPs at one time.
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules