Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Audio from Mac Mini to amp via CAT6 or coax cable??

Audio from Mac Mini to amp via CAT6 or coax cable??
dice
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2009, 11:56 AM

Hi,

I want to output audio from my Mac Mini's headphone jack and input it into an amp and speakers which is about 8metres away in another room.

There currently exist an unused coax cable and an unused CAT6 cable running from the Mac Mini's location to the amp and speaker location.

Is it possible to transmit the audio from the Mini over one of the above cables? Ideally I don't want to spend much doing this or thread a new cable as there is no easy route between the two locations.

Thanks for your help!
sheesh, that took 8 hours for me to be asked to change my sig...

P
Nov 30, 2009, 12:24 PM

An Airport Express at the stereo and then use iTunes to broadcast your music to it? You can use the CAT6 for that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2009, 12:26 PM

Possible ? Yes.

How will it sound ? Depends. Ethernet is definitely the better choice.

-t

dice  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2009, 12:28 PM

Yeah I briefly considered an Airport Express but they ain't cheap!

If I did use the Cat6 what would be the best way to wire it up? I understand it's not ideal...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2009, 12:29 PM

Unless I'm missing something one of these plus that coax cable should do the trick.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2009, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Unless I'm missing something one of these plus that coax cable should do the trick.

It'll be mono.

With cta6, you can make it stereo.

-t

P
Nov 30, 2009, 05:39 PM

Alternative suggestion: Buy a long headphone cable, tape one end to the end of one of the cables currently in the walls and pull on the other end of that cable. Even better, make that long headphone cable an optical, if you have one in on the receiver.

If I did use the Cat6 what would be the best way to wire it up? I understand it's not ideal...
Well if you have to...Convert the miniplug to two RCA on the mini side of things, then wire pins 1 and 2 from the Cat6 to the left RCA, and pins 7 and 8 to the right RCA. It is going to sound like A double S, though - you'll be taking that signal with all the distorsions and amplifying it
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
It'll be mono.

With cta6, you can make it stereo.

-t
Minor niggle: it won't be mono. It'll be single-channel only, but you're not reducing to mono; you're actually throwing away an entire channel's information.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Minor niggle: it won't be mono. It'll be single-channel only, but you're not reducing to mono; you're actually throwing away an entire channel's information.
Yeah, right. Probably wouldn't matter much, in light of what he's trying to do.

-t

dice  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Alternative suggestion: Buy a long headphone cable, tape one end to the end of one of the cables currently in the walls and pull on the other end of that cable. Even better, make that long headphone cable an optical, if you have one in on the receiver.

Well if you have to...Convert the miniplug to two RCA on the mini side of things, then wire pins 1 and 2 from the Cat6 to the left RCA, and pins 7 and 8 to the right RCA. It is going to sound like A double S, though - you'll be taking that signal with all the distorsions and amplifying it
Pulling a new wire is not an option as it is not an easy straight line between the two rooms. The current cables had to take a circuitous route when they were installed originally as such it wouldnt be possible to use one of them to pull a proper cable.

I reckon I'll try to wire up the ethernet cable and see what it sounds like before I consider other more expensive options like airport express.

This link is interesting;
Good whole house audio without the hassle, DIY audio distribution, distributed audio

Forum Links
Forum Rules