Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Facebook culture, privacy, hypocrisy

Facebook culture, privacy, hypocrisy
besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2010, 11:28 PM

It's interesting that sites like the HuffPo have been all over these Facebook privacy related stories, but it's pretty hypocritical that at the same time they are taking advantage of the instant personalization crap (which, in my opinion, is pretty bothersome). It's not like they are forced to participate.

I don't know if you guys have also been getting posts and reposts with instructions to copy and repost about the instant personalization stuff, but it's sort of funny to me how many people repost these instructions, provide some commentary (which is sometimes inaccurate), and then just carry on. I mean, I'm still using Facebook too, but what do you think it will take before there is a mass exodus and all of this will amount to more than "hmm, this is interesting, I'll just post this without thinking about this too much or trying to start up any sort of conversation about this"?

Other Facebook peeves of mine:

- vague "woe is me" sort of posts that sort of beg people to show interest and ask "what is wrong"? I don't want to guess, just tell us, or don't post at all

- people replacing their profile pics with pictures of their baby

- people posting 29048203948 baby pics

- all of the Farmville stuff obviously (although it is thankfully easy to ignore)

- shallow conversation that never seems to get into any real depth

- people posting incredibly boring and mundane stuff

What observations, gripes, positive things, concerns, etc. do you have with the whole Facebook culture and what has become of this incredibly successful application? To me, while I may bitch and moan, all of this is also simultaneously fascinating!

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 17, 2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
To me, while I may bitch and moan, all of this is also simultaneously fascinating!
Hahah, very well put.

I hate the "I love (boyfriend/girlfriends name)", "lovin my girl", "missin my girl" status updates. Verbal PDA of any form on there just annoys me. I have a couple friends that are reeeeally relentless with it and they have lost all respect and dignity in the process from a lot of other people. Literally, updating status and posting on the girlfriend's wall every.single.day. "I love you baby". Ridiculous. And I'm talking about guys and girls that are 25-26 years old. I could go on for a long time on this particular topic, but I won't, its completely retarded.

Also, yes, all the Farmville/Mafa Wars type of junk.

People posting hundreds of grainy quality camera phone head shots of themselves.

All of the drama that comes along with breaks ups on Facebook. "In a Realtionship", "Single", "In a Realtionship", "Its Complicated". Then of course all the "I'm going to be better off, his loss, guys are such jerks, blah blah blah" status updates that come along with it.

People using <3 on every single status update.

People updating their status with useless, pointless crap every 30 minutes.

People using their status as a means to make passive aggressive jabs at other people.

And like the OP said, even though I have all these gripes (and several more), its all still oddly entertaining.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2010, 11:51 PM

Here's another one, the oddly unwarranted affectionate sort of stuff from friends. For instance "I'm tired of being sick" "I'm so sorry, hugs and kisses! If there is anything I can do just let me know!"... I never know if the person has terminal cancer or whether their tummy is just a little upset. Plus, the emotional support thing is just weird

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2010, 12:09 AM

I refuse to post status updates and show relationship status (best to assume it's always single anyway), but I'll happily add snarky comments to pitiful posts.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 12:10 AM

I hate how 90% of the posts on my wall or whatever are from the same 10 people over and over.

Anyone who posts more than once a day (on average) is a narcissistic attention whore.

No one gives a **** about your life. No one thinks you are clever and no one cares...

I hardly ever even check it.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2010, 12:16 AM

Talk to any school teacher though, and they'll tell you how kids these days insist on being connected with each other and having access to all sorts of social related information, no matter how mundane. I mean, to some teenagers having their cellphones taken away would be literally traumatizing.

It's an odd phenomena, and I would say that Facebook reflects this, but does not necessarily define it singlehandedly.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 18, 2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I refuse to post status updates and show relationship status (best to assume it's always single anyway), but I'll happily add snarky comments to pitiful posts.
Absolutely. I'll take back handed pot shots at retards not intelligent enough to pick up on it all day.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2010, 04:52 AM

So, Facebook (and that other abortion, MySpace) provides people with a mechanism through which to talk with each other. Only problem is, most people have got nothing to say.
Since having a Facebook account and not having anything to say creates a sort of "dead air", a void which must be filled so as to avoid looking dumb, people will start telling you about their bowel movements.

This is inevitable when Web 2.0 meets the 80/20 rule.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2010, 06:35 AM

Other Facebook peeves of mine:

1- people replacing their profile pics with pictures of their baby

2- people posting 29048203948 baby pics

3- all of the Farmville stuff obviously (although it is thankfully easy to ignore)

4- shallow conversation that never seems to get into any real depth

5- people posting incredibly boring and mundane stuff
1- For a young parent, that baby IS their world, and you can't get around a baby being all of your life, especially when they're brand new. Any parent will use any opportunity to show off the new little one, so deal. If these people are actually friends, not just "Facebook friends," you'll be happy for them. You don't have to invest a lot of time in their pictures...

2- as above. People used to carry 5 pounds of baby pictures in their purses or wallets. Now it's online. Same thing.

3- Farmville and Happy Aquarium are simple evidence that many people have nothing useful or even interesting to do.

4- Life is mundane and boring. Exciting life, all the time tends to burn people out really fast. "Felt good to cut the grass today, now that the rain has stopped" may sound pretty boring, but life is full of little victories and defeats, and again, if these people are actually friends of yours, you'll at least be happy or sad for them in these.

As to Doofy's point, that's exactly why I use Facebook. I spent several years in school with a small group of really great people, and we keep in touch with Facebook. One falls and hurts her hand, another discovers that Western Caribbean cruises are fun, yet another gets married. The rest of the time it's little "hey, did you get to see Iron Man yet?" stuff. Small talk is generally pretty boring, but it can lead to more substantive communication. For what it's worth, many of my high school classmates have relatively recently discovered Facebook; I've heard more from them and of them in the past year than in the 30 years since we graduated. But I was never really close to many of them, so I just get the "gossipy" highlights of what's going on in their lives. Promotions, retirements, professional accomplishments, those are at least interesting to me. I think the most interesting thing is how we've moved around.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
May 18, 2010, 07:18 AM

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2010, 08:20 AM

I finally deleted my Facebook account last week (well, scheduled it to be deleted, they wait 14 days and if you log in during that time they cancel the scheduled deletion). My account's been deactivated for months and I find that I just don't miss it at all, not to mention all this new crap that's just annoying.

That said, there really is no issue with privacy on Facebook. If you want something to be private you shouldn't be putting it on the internet at all. Also, READ THE DAMNED PRIVACY STATEMENT. Facebook has always been truthful in the way that they treat your data, it's just that pretty much no one bothered to look into it.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I hate how 90% of the posts on my wall or whatever are from the same 10 people over and over.

Anyone who posts more than once a day (on average) is a narcissistic attention whore.

No one gives a **** about your life. No one thinks you are clever and no one cares...

I hardly ever even check it.
Well, you must care if you friended them...

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I finally deleted my Facebook account last week (well, scheduled it to be deleted, they wait 14 days and if you log in during that time they cancel the scheduled deletion). My account's been deactivated for months and I find that I just don't miss it at all, not to mention all this new crap that's just annoying.

That said, there really is no issue with privacy on Facebook. If you want something to be private you shouldn't be putting it on the internet at all. Also, READ THE DAMNED PRIVACY STATEMENT. Facebook has always been truthful in the way that they treat your data, it's just that pretty much no one bothered to look into it.
No, it's that Facebook originally said they'll protect your data, and that protection slowly eroded without telling their users.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 18, 2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Well, you must care if you friended them...
Exactly.

All of these "complaints", "pet peeves", etc. are easily avoided. YOU are in control of people on your "friend" list. Don't like what they are posting? DELETE THEM. Problem solved.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 09:22 AM

Not a fan of facebook, I generally just don't care about it, except that it can bring long lost people together. If you want privacy, write a letter and seal it with wax before hand messengering it via armed guard.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2010, 10:09 AM

No, it's that Facebook originally said they'll protect your data, and that protection slowly eroded without telling their users.
Perhaps there are exceptions that I'm unaware of, but I'm pretty sure that I've always received notifications when Facebook's privacy policy changed. And regardless I'm pretty sure it's always been the case that the user agreement stated that Facebook owned all content that was put on the site which means that they've always had full control of what happens with 'your' data and anything else is just a courtesy.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Exactly.

All of these "complaints", "pet peeves", etc. are easily avoided. YOU are in control of people on your "friend" list. Don't like what they are posting? DELETE THEM. Problem solved.

It's not always that easy... Sometimes these are family members or people that might be bothered/offended/aware of you deleting them. It's tempting though!

Railroader
Banned
May 18, 2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
That is what I have been telling people for about a year!

If you are putting information that is sensitive on any website, you are an idiot and should be taken advantage of. Anything I ever put up us pretty much public knowledge or can be obtained elsewhere.

Railroader
Banned
May 18, 2010, 02:36 PM

Exactly.

Reposted for emphasis.

I am amazed at the number of people I have "unfriended" who have requested to be facebook friends repeatedly after that. I click the [IGNORE] button without a second thought. Get a hint people.

If anything on facebook annoys, you it is your own fault.

andi*pandi
May 18, 2010, 02:49 PM

It's not always that easy... Sometimes these are family members or people that might be bothered/offended/aware of you deleting them. It's tempting though!
Then just hide their posts in your feed. They're still your friend, they can still see and message you, but you don't get their 12 status updates a day, games, surveys, favorite color, etc.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 03:24 PM

I agree that in a lot of situations, people just need to be more proactive in weeding their friends lists and not getting drawn into a lot of the extra "stuff" on sites like Facebook. I think Besson has a point though, because although you can ignore people on your feed and that kind of thing, if the expectation develops on their part that you are seeing what they are broadcasting, it can be awkward in some cases if they later find out you've been ignoring them (a family member, let's say). I think the social expectations around Facebook are the most annoying part about it. Sure, if you don't mind being brusque you can handle those situations quickly and efficiently, but I think most people who have been socialized primarily through face-to-face or direct phone/email communications find that uncomfortable on some basic level. It's interesting to watch the etiquette of social networking evolve.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2010, 03:52 PM

I'll add one.

Annoying overweight girls that post about their new diet/exercise regimen twice every day.

I have a lot of people on hide, and when I post something it tends to have actual content...which means I don't post very often at all. Take today, a bunch of people were raving and posting pictures of a recent Pearl Jam concert, so I informed them Pearl Jam is a terrible band and hasn't made any decent music in 15 years.

I'm sure that'll get me on hide.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Then just hide their posts in your feed. They're still your friend, they can still see and message you, but you don't get their 12 status updates a day, games, surveys, favorite color, etc.

You've inspired me to start hiding people! I have no idea whether this will cause any blowback, but life is too short to be bored by their nonsense!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I agree that in a lot of situations, people just need to be more proactive in weeding their friends lists and not getting drawn into a lot of the extra "stuff" on sites like Facebook. I think Besson has a point though, because although you can ignore people on your feed and that kind of thing, if the expectation develops on their part that you are seeing what they are broadcasting, it can be awkward in some cases if they later find out you've been ignoring them (a family member, let's say). I think the social expectations around Facebook are the most annoying part about it. Sure, if you don't mind being brusque you can handle those situations quickly and efficiently, but I think most people who have been socialized primarily through face-to-face or direct phone/email communications find that uncomfortable on some basic level. It's interesting to watch the etiquette of social networking evolve.

Yeah, people really approach it differently... To some people it's a blog of mundane stuff (the last post I saw from the person andi*pandi inspired me to hide was painstaking detail about the bill for her car repairs), to others it's sort of a scrapbook of links to articles and sites they like, to others its a political soapbox, to others it's a shoot-the-shit place, to others it is an opportunity to share things that are genuinely interesting or entertaining (I try to fall into this category).

ghporter
Administrator
May 18, 2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
That is what I have been telling people for about a year!

If you are putting information that is sensitive on any website, you are an idiot and should be taken advantage of. Anything I ever put up us pretty much public knowledge or can be obtained elsewhere.
A former supervisor's Facebook page and her photo album are, to put it mildly, "not good for her career." Fortunately that employer's more interested in productivity than in "how does this look" when promoting and retaining licensed employees. But let's just consider hypothetically what effect it might have on one's future employment chances if one's Facebook photo album contained pictures from an alcohol suffused costume party (all adults) wherein one (a female) is costumed as a "schoolgirl" and obviously inebriated... Somehow people just do NOT get the idea that once it's "out there" online, NOTHING ever goes away, and there is NOTHING private about anything you've shared online...

My photo album includes pictures of me in a kilt and pictures of some of my pets. Boy, that should be damaging, eh?

dzp111
Senior User
May 18, 2010, 08:28 PM

I just lurk.

And am quickly getting tired of the monotony of it all.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

Professional Poster
May 22, 2010, 10:07 PM

The problem with privacy doesn't really lie with the user, but with their network. I can read the privacy policy all I want and lock down my account, but if I have a friend who doesn't know anything about privacy changes, and as a result has a public profile, any information/photos/etc they post about me is out there for anyone and out of my control.

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 22, 2010, 10:40 PM

You can just say no to Facebook and I am sure your life will be just fine without it.

Professional Poster
May 22, 2010, 10:42 PM

Which does nothing to the problem of friends posting things about/including you.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2010, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Which does nothing to the problem of friends posting things about/including you.

This is a valid argument, but it is not exclusive to Facebook. I could post stuff about some random dude I know without his knowledge to this forum, for instance.

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 22, 2010, 10:46 PM

Well they are doing that regardless, at least they can't "tag" you in photos. (well I assume they can't if you don't use FB)

Professional Poster
May 22, 2010, 10:48 PM

This is a valid argument, but it is not exclusive to Facebook. I could post stuff about some random dude I know without his knowledge to this forum, for instance.
Yes, but the difference is that public posting would be with malicious intent. With Facebook (and, sure, other much less public and large examples), a friend may post photos from a party that they wouldn't post in a public forum, assuming that no one but their circle of friends can see them. Facebook then does a privacy switch, leaving tons of people with entirely public profiles, as happened a few months ago, and the photos are there for the world to see.

As far tagging, non-Facebook users can be tagged, it just won't add a link to their profile.

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 22, 2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
As far tagging, non-Facebook users can be tagged, it just won't add a link to their profile.
Ah ok, I am clueless about this.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2010, 10:53 PM

That's why you have a profile like mine. So boring that nobody would even feel the need to tag you. (I'm not social or anything though, so nothing is ever posted)

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2010, 10:57 PM

imitchell's name is really "Mitchell Ray Scott", and he has boxes!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2010, 11:00 PM

So true. You know everything about me now.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2010, 11:18 PM

Are you some kind of box collector or something?

indigoimac
Senior User
May 23, 2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
This is inevitable when Web 2.0 meets the 80/20 rule.
Fantastic... the thought then occurred to me how to share this observation with those who I knew might be interested. First thing I thought of: Facebook wall.

I've had facebook for 3-4 years now and it's reduced itself to 58 pictures (very few of which I posted) and 131 friends -- all of which I have personally met and most of which I maintain some sort of frequent contact with. Photos are theoretically locked down to only friends and now that they switched to this "box" nonsense for info nothing is listed but music and schools. At this point most of what shows up on my wall is stupid shit inside jokes that felt the need to be continued online, which is fine. Or observations like Doofy's that I think a few people I know might be interested in.

I remember the obsession with it that came at the end of high school and start of college, it was a great way to network and get a quick background on people you were meeting, and it was great to find people you had just met so that you didn't lose touch or whatever. But once you're not in that scenario, which I think was its original design intent, both the usefulness and the novelty start to die for me.

I cannot imagine high school and middle school with it -- it must be like the aim profile thing that was popular back in the day on crack -- and the chat thing can't be helping (another feature I leave disabled) Not to mention the pictures.

I think it is useful for keeping in touch and things like events (maybe... I'd prefer an email so I actually pay attention to it) but the need to archive and share my life's events in the form of 4000 pictures seems narcissistic and petty, as was already mentioned.

Finally, as if this wasn't long enough, is the idea of gossip. For the most part we all love gossip, that was 3/4 of the reason I wanted an account back in high school to sort of see the publicized behind the scenes. It's more than just gossip though -- in Pittsburgh it's called being Nebby, which is basically being nosy and wanting the gossip... but not just for yourself. You want the gossip to share it and continue gossiping -- trading it for more gossip. That's exactly what facebook is now and what aim was for those who use it daily to keep tabs on every fart of life.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

downinflames68
Baninated
May 23, 2010, 12:58 AM

I deleted one of my friends from Facebook. We grew up together, he was in my wedding party, we're both designers, and I was his best man. Thing is, he hasn't called me more than 5 times in the past 6 months. He, who is married, said that he would be supportive of both me and my wife during the divorce, obviously chose her. She comes to their house a lot, and hangs out a lot. To me... this was insulting, so I deleted both him, and his wife, from my friends.

He never called, he just tried to add me as a friend, which is precisely why I guess I don't even care about him anymore. Yep. Drama, caused by real life, but action taken in facebook.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2010, 03:45 AM

THIS is really the issue, except that they told us about it (in an intentionally confusing and convoluted way).

Facebook DID used to be a private circle of sharing stuff with your friends.

The Evolution of Privacy on Facebook

That's pretty horrifying.

freudling
Banned
May 23, 2010, 05:10 AM

I really think we are sick with the Internet. It's like a disease. Too much information, too much social media. How about meeting in person? Cafe, bar...

How much computer use is too much?

And now, everyone realizes that their privacy is in the hands of someone else. And these people have the power to implement policies, or preserve existing ones, that could adversely affect its users. It's like everyone jumping on the arsenic filled paint bandwagen, only to find out, later on, that it really wasn't that good for you.

Facebook, Twitter, while good tools for us humans in certain respects, is bad in many other respects. Looking at it as a social experiment, it fuels the flock theory. That people flock to something... follow trends too easily, even though it may, in the long-term, be bad for them.

And services like Facebook, even Google, should absolutely never be allowed to share any information with anyone or anything, ever. With certain exceptions of course. I just know their policies though, and they really have written in things... that gives them just way too much freedom to share your personal information.

Solution:

Self-hosted Email anyone? Self-hosted chat? Self-hosted domains? Etc...

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2010, 10:50 AM

One of my classmates stopped through town yesterday. She mentioned a "road trip" in her status on FB and I asked, also on FB where she was headed. I then got an email (outside of FB) to the effect that she wanted to get together and chat, and we met at Starbucks for a couple of hours of catching up. Now it's pretty clear that we both have lives and don't spend an inordinate amount of time on Facebook, but that doesn't take a whole lot of effort... I use email and texting to family and friends for my own purposes, not because it's cool or some other faddish nonsense.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2010, 11:54 AM

Exactly.

Meh. I don't really use Facebook though.

It usually goes like this. First, I use my iPhone to check all my RSS feeds. When that's done, I may check a website or two... then I might play a quick game or something, then if I still have time I might click on the Facebook app, scroll down a page or three reading inane bull**** and then move on with my life.

I almost never log into the real site. I find the interface to be terrible. My method for keeping my information secure on Facebook is to never post anything I give a crap about, ever. Go ahead and read my information Facebook. I really don't care.

I post something on Facebook around once a month... and it's usually a baby pic for all of my family members on there.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2010, 12:03 PM

People who had the internet in high school must live in a whole different world.

When I was in highschool, a facebook was when someone got hit in the face with a book. We used our computers to type papers and print them out... or play a terrible game with green graphics. We weren't two clicks away from nude japanese women farting on each other... we had a handful of these rare things called porno magazines, and we clung to them like they were solid gold. If our friends were already out on the town, we had no way of finding them. We would have to drive around to the popular spots and actually search for people. We listened to music on cassette tapes. You owned about 10-20 of these and they were precious. We had to rewind. Taking pictures of things involved actually getting your prints developed which cost about a buck per pic. We had no idea what anyone was eating for lunch on any given day and we liked it that way. We also had to walk to school in three feet of snow, uphill, both ways. Every day. 365 days a year.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2010, 12:30 PM

Are you some kind of box collector or something?
No. There isn't anything under "Boxes." IDK why it's there.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 23, 2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by indigoimac View Post
Fantastic... the thought then occurred to me how to share this observation with those who I knew might be interested. First thing I thought of: Facebook wall.

I've had facebook for 3-4 years now and it's reduced itself to 58 pictures (very few of which I posted) and 131 friends -- all of which I have personally met and most of which I maintain some sort of frequent contact with.
You're coming awfully close to the limit of your Monkeysphere. thought you should know.

What is the Monkeysphere? | Cracked.com

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
No. There isn't anything under "Boxes." IDK why it's there.
How do we know that you don't have some sort of elaborate box collection in that section? Perhaps you should send us a screenshot and your word that it hasn't been Photoshopped?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2010, 03:14 PM

Facebook’s Gone Rogue; It’s Time for an Open Alternative | Epicenter�| Wired.com

Facebook thinks that your notions of privacy — meaning your ability to control information about yourself — are just plain old-fashioned. Head honcho Zuckerberg told a live audience in January that Facebook is simply responding to changes in privacy mores, not changing them — a convenient, but frankly untrue, statement.
Facebook could start with a very simple page of choices: I’m a private person, I like sharing some things, I like living my life in public. Each of those would have different settings for the myriad of choices, and all of those users could then later dive into the control panel to tweak their choices. That would be respectful design - but Facebook isn’t about respect — it’s about re-configuring the world’s notion of what’s public and private.

So what that you might be a teenager and don’t get that college-admissions offices will use your e-mail address to find possibly embarrassing information about you. Just because Facebook got to be the world’s platform for identity by promising you privacy and then later ripping it out from under you, that’s your problem. At least, according to the bevy of privacy hired guns the company brought in at high salaries to provide cover for its shenanigans.
I've pretty much stopped posting there at all.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 23, 2010, 03:46 PM

I bailed on FB because it was a boring waste of time. it really has no point what so ever. At least with YouTube the clips may be very interesting.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2010, 03:52 PM

It's great when you graduated from an international school and all your school friends are spread out over the world.

Unfortunately, facebook's founder is a dangerous moron.

Forum Links
Forum Rules