Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Alvin Greene wins primary

Alvin Greene wins primary
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 04:52 PM

Is this for real? Is Jon Stewart embellishing a little bit of this? I hope so...

Stewart Takes On The Alvin Greene Victory (VIDEO)

Any South Carolinians here? This is absolutely crazy, too crazy to be true. For those Republicans who don't care about Democratic primaries, Stewart goes after the Democrats who blamed this in Republicans.

For those who don't want to watch the video, he won the primary for Senate, but he allegedly lives with his parents, doesn't have a computer, car, doesn't have any experience, is unemployed, broke, didn't hold any campaign rallies, nothing... He's literally just a random guy that won the primary because people didn't like his opponent. This is a bad movie script if true.

Seriously, what is going to happen with this Alvin Greene guy? I admit I haven't really done any research on him, I don't live in South Carolina and don't care a whole lot, this is mostly just an amusing side show attraction to me...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Seriously, what is going to happen with this Alvin Greene guy?
He's going to lose.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 05:05 PM

What happens if his opponent (DeMint?) is caught red handed doing something really sleazy and Greene becomes a Senator?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 15, 2010, 05:06 PM

Unicorns will rule the earth.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2010, 05:12 PM

I used to work for a small company that produced targeted political mail. We were somewhere between crappy startup and established company. I mean, it was a mickey mouse operation, but we had several big name accounts. Anywho... We had this one guy walk in one time... literally just walk in (we weren't a walk-in kind of place, this was an office building) and ask that we do his mail. He smelled like a hobo and looked like a person you would cast as "random fat glasses man" in a live action Far Side movie. He lived in a YMCA in (unnamed midwestern city) yet had several hundred thousands of dollar in the bank... somehow. Who knows. He had flown to Washington DC looking for help with his campaign and somehow found us.

Anyway, he wanted us to create an entire campaign for his Senate primary run. We consulted with him, told him we would get back to him... discussed it amongst ourselves... and decided that we would just give him a quote that was so ridiculous that he would simply turn us down. So we told him we were super busy (we were) and quoted him something like $20,000 to do one piece, thinking he would laugh us off and move on... well, he didn't. He simply accepted and asked us to get started.

We had another consultation and decided... **** it. Let's just take his money. So we did.

He ended up being completely bat**** insane. Big shocker.

True story.

Oh yeah, he lost.
( Last edited by ort888; Jun 15, 2010 at 05:30 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 05:12 PM

We'll see.. It's not like knowing nothing about him preventing people from voting from him and giving him a 60% victory...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 15, 2010, 05:44 PM

Is this the chipmunk?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2010, 05:51 PM

I wonder which state has the craziest/kookiest/most corrupt politicians in the last 50 years or so? We have South Carolina, all of the corrupt politicians in Illinois, New York, the incredibly odd assortment in Minnesota, what else?

It's kind of funny that some states just seem to be magnets for this sort of stuff.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
all of the corrupt politicians in Illinois
Minus one plus his cronies now in DC.

As for Greene, sounds like a lot of people just voted on auto-pilot. They probably didn't know anyone on the ballot and just picked this guy because his name came first.

Personally, I think it'd be awesome if he actually won. (I know, won't happen, but just sayin'). His qualifications aren't really any worse than most of the turds in national office, he just doesn't have a masters degree in Uselessness and wasn't a senior partner at Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.

I have a sneaking suspicion he'd probably make a better senator than most of the nitwits already elected, certainly a lot more entertaining.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
As for Greene, sounds like a lot of people just voted on auto-pilot. They probably didn't know anyone on the ballot and just picked this guy because his name came first.
I'm inclined to agree. But I will say that watching that guy try to answer simple questions in an interview is physically painful to watch. He makes Sarah Palin's disastrous interviews during the 2008 presidential campaign somewhat bearable.

OAW

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2010, 04:08 PM

I couldn't believe what I was hearing when he was on Mark Levin's show on Monday. He sounded unprepared and reading from a single scribbled 3 by 5 card. He didn't even know who his opponent was! DeMint must be laughing still.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2010, 04:22 PM

"I'll say it again: democracy simply doesn't work."
Kent Brockman, Bart's Comet (Episode 2F11)

Seriously, these episodes prove that joke to be true in a major sense. In races where the public has little information in order to make an informed choice, who are people supposed to vote for? Granted, Senate primary candidates are usually high profile enough to get the attention of the electorate, but in this case that clearly didn't happen. Voters picked at random, and apparently they choice this gag candidate either because he was alphabetically first on the list OR because his name was close to 1970s singer Al Green. No joke! Not that I wanted anyone to challenge DeMint, but the point still stands.

When I voted in this primary it was easy to pick through the major races and then CA's wacky propositions. At least the propositions get a good amount of air time, but they're also often a muddy choice because the ads for and against are usually completely contradictory to one another. But okay, then you get to the doldrums of about ten local, non-partisan races with 6 to 10 nominees each. How are supposed to know who would make a good judge out of 5 names that you've never heard of before? I remember a recent local case in which a judge with tons of experience didn't get picked because her surname was of some unusual European extraction that didn't look good on paper. She lost to an unqualified candidate. I can't begin to understand how those local elected officials in small, obscure races base their careers on the dumb luck that voters will somehow pick the right name at random in sufficient quantity to get them the position. It's utterly nonsensical.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 16, 2010 at 05:13 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
I couldn't believe what I was hearing when he was on Mark Levin's show on Monday. He sounded unprepared and reading from a single scribbled 3 by 5 card. He didn't even know who his opponent was! DeMint must be laughing still.

Forum Links
Forum Rules