Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > wifi can't connect to internet, ethernet is fine

wifi can't connect to internet, ethernet is fine
moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2013, 05:51 PM

This is a strange problem, a few times a day all wifi devices in my home can't connect to the internet for about 5 minutes only.

All devices can still see each other and transfer files to each other
I can VNC into an ethernet based machine from my wifi laptop and connect to the web fine, by can't connect to the web (or email etc) on the wifi machine.

Any ideas what would cause this?

Cold Warrior
Aug 4, 2013, 06:13 PM

Take a look at the wifi device settings. Make sure it isn't set to deny internet at certain time periods (some security or parental restriction). Also when on wifi *and* having the problem, try pinging an outside host -- open network utility on the mac, ping 208.67.222.222 (an opendns server). Maybe something is wrong with dns. Other things to try include changing wifi channels or using only 5 ghz (to test the theory that it could be interference-related.

In hard drive > system > library > core services, there is a program called wireless diagnostics. It can be useful in situations like this.

Ω
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2013, 02:57 AM

How old is your router? I tend to find wireless routers start going flaky after about two years.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

moonmonkey  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2013, 07:47 AM

Cheers, will try the DNA idea.

Router is 2 years old...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ω View Post
How old is your router? I tend to find wireless routers start going flaky after about two years.
I ran my trusty DG834Gv3 for closer to 4 and only retired it because I got an Airport Extreme N for a bargain price. That one has been running about 5 years now I think. Pretty sure the 834G would still work if I wanted it to, I also have a couple of old UFO Airport base stations which run on 802.11b and still work. I have customers with 10 year old Draytek 2800s still in service.

The only one I ever had an issue with was a silver DG834v1 which burned out two capacitors before I lost confidence that it wouldn't burn my house down or at least poison my cats with acrid smoke. Technically though, even that still worked when I threw it out.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Ω
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2013, 02:19 AM

I find my wireless routers run fine for about two years and then all of a sudden the wireless starts dropping out and I have to keep rebooting. I typically have anywhere from 10 to 20 devices connected at anyone time which may not help.

Just replaced my router a few days ago which was running fine under light loads, but a few more people using the router now and it went south.

No evidence, just my thoughts.
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2013, 07:05 AM

My MacBook Pro (early 2011) had weird wifi hiccups, and when it was in the shop for another issue, they found that Internet recovery wouldn't work via Wi-Fi. Worked fine via Ethernet.

Turned out to be a defective network controller. Main logic board replaced; been fine since.

Unlikely in this case, of course, since it affects all other devices.

Forum Links
Forum Rules