Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > satellite broadband and iChat

satellite broadband and iChat
videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 01:02 PM

anyone have any info on this, is the lag to great? any info is appreciated, thinking of hooking up the inlaws

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 09:25 AM

bump with the hopes that someone has a bit of info

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 11, 2004, 12:22 PM

I speak from pure speculation here, based on my understanding of things -- I've never used satellite internet myself.

I would expect it to be rather frustrating. Satellite has exceedingly high latency: often a whole second or more (that's about 100 times slower than cable or DSL, and 10 times slower than a 56K modem). So it won't feel "natural", which is one of the things that normally sets iChat AV apart (on low-latency broadband, iChat AV has very low latency).

You know how on TV news they have reporters all over the globe, live via satellite? Notice how they have to leave a pause after talking for the person on the other end to respond? That's the latency at work.

So I would say that it would probably work, but would feel very unnatural -- don't expect it to "feel" like a phone call.

tooki

videian28  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2004, 08:05 AM

That was my thoughts also, however the pic of the guy using iChat on a plane (was on apples website I believe) kinda threw me off...oh well

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 23, 2004, 07:27 PM

Advertising doesn't always have to be truly representative of actual product performance-maybe the guy in the ad likes waiting a LONG time for the distant end to hear him and reply.

The extreme latency of satellite internet connections makes them a very poor choice for many people's interests; games, chat, video, all suffer horrendously. And from experience with actual satellite phone service, I can tell you that it SUCKS to have to wait that long to hear the other person say "uh huh." Chat would be worse!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules