Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Improving this forum

Improving this forum (Page 2)
Thread Tools
starman
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:24 AM
 
I wonder sometimes if it's a problem that can't be fixed with rules or discussion. NN years ago was a fun place to be because of the people, not necessarily the rules.

Now, you could argue that the rules pushed people away, but I think that's more of a personality issue.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:26 AM
 
I agree - a lot of it could be to do with the people enforcing the rules.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:28 AM
 
One thing that's not being consistently applied is how sometimes, the ban hammer will fall w/o any warning.

IIRC, the infraction system was put in place to give member warning shots and have those documented for other mods to see.

However, there are still bans w/o any warning, infraction, PM or *anything* telling the member to knock it off.
To me, that's knee-jerk banning that we don't need. We have a system now (infractions), so it should be used consistently, and not selectively.

-t
     
starman
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:28 AM
 
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I agree - a lot of it could be to do with the people enforcing the rules.
That's not what I said or meant.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:29 AM
 
Originally Posted by starman View Post
Now, you could argue that the rules pushed people away, but I think that's more of a personality issue.
I agree. Honestly, I don't have the history of the more storied members -- I'm more of a second or third generation bastard, having joined in 04 originally, but from what I can tell, personalities that clashed in 01 or 02, became totally sick of dealing with each other by 05 or 06.

Perhaps its from the constant contact, maybe it comes from a certain amount of feeling at home in the forum after so many years and no longer wanting to tolerate an irritant in this 'home', maybe its from the cliques that formed after the Lounge gained so many members, but it seems like some of the major personalities inexplicably became disgruntled with aspects/habits of the forum that seemed prevalent to me since day one of my membership.
     
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cooperstown '09
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:31 AM
 
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
One thing that's not being consistently applied is how sometimes, the ban hammer will fall w/o any warning.

IIRC, the infraction system was put in place to give member warning shots and have those documented for other mods to see.

However, there are still bans w/o any warning, infraction, PM or *anything* telling the member to knock it off.
To me, that's knee-jerk banning that we don't need. We have a system now (infractions), so it should be used consistently, and not selectively.

-t
I forgot all about infractions, are those really still around and actually being used? Seems like a logical system, but if not being used for it's intended purpose, then what's the point. I recall my buddy tooki using infractions, but I'm a goodie goodie and never get them to know if other mods/admins use the tool.
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:32 AM
 
Originally Posted by starman View Post
That's not what I said or meant.
You said "NN years ago was a fun place to be because of the people, not necessarily the rules." I agreed, and expanded your statement to include the people who make and enforce the rules. I think they are one of the most influential groups of people.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:35 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I've always agreed that the nick issue has always been a valid point of contention. I see consistency in that mods seem to ban joke accounts and let legacy ones (Laminar, Railroader, Doofy, Dakar the Fourth) live. With exception to what_the_heck and abe.
I think its not the fact of having a second nick but rather what's the the intention those accounts. I also think the mods/admins are providing a little lattitude, this can be seen at times as inconsistent application of the rules because they let some things slide.

Look at it another way, do you want the mods trying to track and cross reference every account with their IP address to see if a duplicate nick rules was violated?

These accounts are harmless, but others like Cas$h and even butthawks were not. They were meant to stir things up. Regardless at how besson thinks it was harmless fun, the intention was just to create controversy/thread crapping/hijack threads.

That might be his definition of fun and harmless but its clear that the mods did not share that same twisted sense of humor
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:37 AM
 
Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I think its not the fact of having a second nick but rather what's the the intention those accounts.
Isn't that pretty much what I alluded to by differentiating between joke and legacy accounts?
     
besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:40 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I'm questioning his motivation. I don't believe he really has MacNN at heart, so much as himself.

I disagree. The pattern is there.

--

You know, we always seem at odds in these threads, subego. But I don't understand why. Do you just like besson, dislike me, or do you have some things MacNN should get to changing, which perhaps you should use this thread as an opportunity to air?

GIve your analysis a rest Dakar, I'm not interested in defending myself against your attempts to pick me and my motivations apart. I welcome your feedback and ideas as per my original message, but can you kindly dispense with the psychoanalysis?
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
GIve your analysis a rest Dakar, I'm not interested in defending myself against your attempts to pick me and my motivations apart. I welcome your feedback and ideas as per my original message, but can you kindly dispense with the psychoanalysis?
Sure thing, man:
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
How about some specifics?
     
besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:44 AM
 
Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
You accuse the mods of having communication issues and when I point out that you are the one with issues, you get upset.

You really have an ingenious formula going on here... Simplistic, pithy remarks with a heaping of confrontational edge.

The miscommunication I'm speaking of is much broader than my interaction with Cold Warrior just now... Obviously there is going to be some level of miscommunication (such as my not understanding Cold Warrior), but the problem is far more widespread, which I thought I made clear.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:44 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Isn't that pretty much what I alluded to by differentiating between joke and legacy accounts?
Duh - you're right
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:45 AM
 
Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Duh - you're right
Ok, cool.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:45 AM
 
Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
I forgot all about infractions, are those really still around and actually being used? Seems like a logical system, but if not being used for it's intended purpose, then what's the point. I recall my buddy tooki using infractions, but I'm a goodie goodie and never get them to know if other mods/admins use the tool.
Oh yes, they are still used, at times.

I just got one, because I accidentally wrote "your" instead of "their" in a response.

So it was construed as a personal attack on the OP that I quoted

-t
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:46 AM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You really have an ingenious formula going on here... Simplistic, pithy remarks with a heaping of confrontational edge.
Thank you, coming from you a master in that arena.
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:50 AM
 
The problem is, indeed, widespread. I, for one, no longer read my private messages because of the increasing level of PM spam I get.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
May 20, 2008, 11:54 AM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I'm questioning his motivation. I don't believe he really has MacNN at heart, so much as himself.



Wow. Okay.



Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
You know, we always seem at odds in these threads, subego. But I don't understand why.



I kind of want to tease you here.

We're at odds in these threads because we have differing opinions.



Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Do you just like besson, dislike me

The God's honest truth is that I like you very much.


Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
or do you have some things MacNN should get to changing, which perhaps you should use this thread as an opportunity to air?

Nothing that hasn't been said, more or less.

In essence, I think the mods should have an environment where they can trust their gut (i.e. they don't have to worry about being rules lawyered). This would allow them to be more experimental in their interpretations if that was what their gut told them to do.

I think the mods should publicly explain their bans, something which is dependent on the aforementioned environment.

I think the "semantic content" rule should be axed on principle. That principle being that vague rules suck.
     
besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:55 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Just to be even-keel here, I honestly get the impression from the OP that besson didn't read the rules before making the thread.

I say this because there really aren't any rules to speak of. Most of the user/mod friction (not counting troublemakers) is over the interpretation of one rule: semantic content. Because of the nick issue, we also have a problem with user/mod friction over lack of a rule.

So yeah. I call BS on "too many rules".

Thanks for defending my arguments subego,

Addressing this part, again, the issue is not with the quantity of rules, but with the ambiguity of their actual purpose. Rules are created to serve a particular purpose, right? When something is going on that is not against the spirit or design of the rule, but may be questionable if taken to the letter and in treating the rules like some sort of legal manifesto, what is the harm? Getting into the "he broke x rule.. no he didn't!" sort of thing when nobody can even explain what harm was done always degrades into bickering, pedantic behavior, etc.

For instance, no threads about other members... What if you're writing a positive thread about somebody? What if you are continuing a conversation started by this individual and you want to address him/her by name?

It is clear to me that this rule was designed to prevent people from basically going after a member and forcing them to defend themselves - similar to the defamation law in real life. If there is no defamation going on, what harm is being done? Breaking a rule based on a technicality? Who cares?

We could get into the extreme vagueness and lack of any real definition of what "semantic content" is, but it seems that the mods have laid off on trying to make this distinction anyway. If we are going to have these "laws", shouldn't they be laws that are enforced, defined, predictable, etc.? This is where the argument for refining the laws goes out the window - this is one rule that will never be perfect, so trying to get it right to the letter is fruitless. Why not just have it say something to the effect of:

"Understand that people use the technical forums as a resource, so cluttering it up with off-topic material is discourteous" (although I would hope that this would be obvious to most)

Am I starting to make sense? I'm sure somebody here can say what I'm trying to say better than I....
     
besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by starman View Post
How is this different from the other threads about restoring NN to its "former glory"?
Does it matter?
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:57 AM
 
One thing that I really miss is being able to use some mild swear words in a heated debate.

I've gotten infractions for using the words idiot, retarded and Alzheimer's.

I mean, that's just retarded idiocy

-t
     
besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 11:59 AM
 
Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I think its not the fact of having a second nick but rather what's the the intention those accounts. I also think the mods/admins are providing a little lattitude, this can be seen at times as inconsistent application of the rules because they let some things slide.

Look at it another way, do you want the mods trying to track and cross reference every account with their IP address to see if a duplicate nick rules was violated?

These accounts are harmless, but others like Cas$h and even butthawks were not. They were meant to stir things up. Regardless at how besson thinks it was harmless fun, the intention was just to create controversy/thread crapping/hijack threads.

That might be his definition of fun and harmless but its clear that the mods did not share that same twisted sense of humor

Your first sentence here says it all... If we all understand the intentions of the member, and the intentions of why a rule of this nature might need to exist, what more do we need? There is no need to bicker over the semantics of a rule if we can transcend the need for a rule with some basic understanding. That's what I've been trying awkwardly to say.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
May 20, 2008, 12:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Doofy

He's someone else too?

Damnit, damnit, damnit. No one ever tells me this ****.


Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
So reader50's addition has reopened the lines of debate?

I was thinking more the big influx of mods.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
May 20, 2008, 12:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What if you're writing a positive thread about somebody? What if you are continuing a conversation started by this individual and you want to address him/her by name?

Because the usual boring nature of such a thing is an open invitation to make it interesting by pissing on people.
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 12:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post


Wow. Okay.
Not stating myself well? It doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I kind of want to tease you here.
Ah. So you're acting as my foil in this picture?

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Nothing that hasn't been said, more or less.

In essence, I think the mods should have an environment where they can trust their gut (i.e. they don't have to worry about being rules lawyered). This would allow them to be more experimental in their interpretations if that was what their gut told them to do.

I think the mods should publicly explain their bans, something which is dependent on the aforementioned environment.

I think the "semantic content" rule should be axed on principle. That principle being that vague rules suck.
Nothing that you and I haven't debated before, either, I suppose.

As I said, I agree with transparency in the process. I just worry that posting each ban will incur some endless debate with members constantly appealing to admins to overturn / support the mods decision.

But if this really is an issue, I don't see why a trial period couldn't be instituted (60/90 days?) We can't be banning that many people to begin with.
     
starman
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 12:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Does it matter?
It matters because people keep bringing it up and nothing gets done.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 12:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
He's someone else too?

Damnit, damnit, damnit. No one ever tells me this ****.
Which is hilarious since I think Doofy account predates the original Dakar account. If you spend 8 hours on here 5 days a week, though, you tend to catch these things.

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I was thinking more the big influx of mods.
Oooooooooooooooh. Does they really affect the Lounge(s)? I guess so, since I've seen Cold Warrior make a few forays, recently.

Edit: There's something amusing about referring to past accounts like clones/predecessors.
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 12:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Does they really affect the Lounge(s)? I guess so, since I've seen Cold Warrior make a few forays, recently.
Yes. They have a chilling effect.
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 12:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Yes. They have a chilling effect.
You'll have to pardon me if I take the opinion of a condescending PL troll with a grain of salt.
     
besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 12:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Because the usual boring nature of such a thing is an open invitation to make it interesting by pissing on people.
Are you speaking tongue in cheek? If not, should we have a "no boring threads" rule?
     
besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 12:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by starman View Post
It matters because people keep bringing it up and nothing gets done.
Ahhhh... I guess I'm hoping that we can actually find something to agree upon here that might result in change. Perhaps that is naive of me though...
     
Demonhood
Administrator
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Land of the Easily Amused
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 12:27 PM
 
geez. i think we can improve the forum by having another MacNN film competition (maybe another photo one as well). but if people want to argue about the ratio of moderators to lounge infractions, be my guest.
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 12:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
if people want to argue about the ratio of moderators to lounge infractions, be my guest.
Can I start an "official" thread, oh hooded one?
No, not really.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Online
May 20, 2008, 12:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
geez. i think we can improve the forum by having another MacNN film competition (maybe another photo one as well).

Why'd you have to go and ruin our wankfest?

Say hello to six more months of dull in the Feedback forum.
     
besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 12:55 PM
 
How about a no pants day?
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 12:56 PM
 
We should hold a lottery. Each week, admin select a random thread from the lounge. Then, the next week, a random poster is selected from that thread and banned, without warning, for a day. This repeats for each weekday.
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; May 20, 2008 at 01:03 PM. )
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 12:58 PM
 


-t
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 02:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
We should hold a lottery. Each week, admin select a random thread from the lounge. Then, the next week, a random poster is selected from that thread and banned, without warning, for a day. This repeats for each weekday.
Isn't that what we do?
     
reader50
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 03:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by peeb View Post
The problem is, indeed, widespread. I, for one, no longer read my private messages because of the increasing level of PM spam I get.
Amateur. And DH makes me look like a PM newbie.

     
Randman
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MacNN database error. Please refresh your browser.
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 04:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Then why did you start a thread musing if you should have one?

I guess that thread also hailed your "return", so you pile on an extra helping of irony by feeling you can authoritatively comment on what's happened in your absence.

Welcome back.
Lol. My comment on starting a new one was facetious. And just because I haven't posted doesn't mean I've not been totally away from this forums.

As far as authoritatively commenting, there are some nuances that I was not caught up on but have briefed in several PMs.

But I've heard this story before. The names and dates have changed but the rest doesn't seem that much different.

is a constant for some people no matter how much you feel like

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 04:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Amateur. And DH makes me look like a PM newbie.

Uhm, is that "Screw Member" button a joke or real ?

I doesn't look like you just edited this, when taking a screenshot of your PM count

-t
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 04:13 PM
 
It's probably the button to access moderator functions.
     
reader50
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 04:22 PM
 
Appearances can be misleading. The PM totals were not edited.
( Last edited by reader50; May 20, 2008 at 04:29 PM. )
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 04:53 PM
 
Reader50 is either much neater with his inbox than I am, or he's not very popular.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 04:55 PM
 
Something's missing there...
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 04:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Appearances can be misleading. The PM totals were not edited.


It was a good one

-t
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 04:56 PM
 
You get a lot of PM spam too then?
     
reader50
Administrator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: California
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 07:43 PM
 
A few responses, in posting order. Alphabetical order would have been more fair, maybe next time.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I, for one, would like to see the rule against double nicks formally published.
There is no rule against multiple handles. We've considered a rule, and at one time it came close to happening. This was around the time what_the_heck got banned. However, staff opinion remained divided and no rule was made. We do discourage the abuse of multiple handles, especially if it's intended to fool people.

turtle's what_the_heck handle was used during a time when "turtle777" was temp-banned. Doing this is risky, and whatever Mod runs across it may temp-ban the alt handles, or permaban them. It could depend on what they ate that morning. Since what_the_heck had run up infractions before and drawn mod attention, we'll leave the spare handle banned.

butthawk was a prank account, used for trolling, etc. It was banned after it started asking for real-world info - it stops being funny at this point. We can't let a newbie make a mistake falling for something like that - identity theft isn't much fun for the recipient. Except maybe for that guy who stole a convicted sex offender's identity by mistake.

Jokes work best the first time. When besson started another butthawk account to continue things, it was permabanned and besson got a vacation ticket.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
The graphs are interesting. It depends on how big-boards does their checking ... if they count new members based on posts appearing with new names, then I may have an answer for their graph downturn. We've gotten way better at catching spammers quickly over the past year, so much so that the posts usually vanish before most people see them. Or internet stats spiders. It's averaging somewhere around 100 spam handles per month. In the past, their spider may have seen more of the posts (and new handles) before we zapped them.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
I forgot all about infractions, are those really still around and actually being used?
Oh yes, they are still used, at times.

I just got one, because I accidentally wrote "your" instead of "their" in a response.

So it was construed as a personal attack on the OP that I quoted
tsk, tsk. I just checked it, it was an Impersonal Attack, worth only half as much. That's inflation for you - an infraction just doesn't buy as much as it used to.

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I, for one, no longer read my private messages because of the increasing level of PM spam I get.
If you are getting "real" spam PMs, we'd like to know. Viagra, cell phones, fake shoes & watches. If you get one, forward it to any Mod/Admin and we'll look into it. If the spam PMs are sarky comments from other board members, you can keep those. We have an adequate supply of those in the public threads.

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
For instance, no threads about other members... What if you're writing a positive thread about somebody?
We only enforce it as needed. If you want to compliment some other members, chances are nothing will happen to the thread. Well, not until the sarcasm meter goes redline. That's been known to happen.

We are working on new conspiracies to replace the unmasked ones. Soon, soon we will start randomly [ - snip - ]

Carry on, everyone.

This moment of Zen was brought to you by Cannibal Beans Co ® - the less wasteful solution.
     
Randman
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MacNN database error. Please refresh your browser.
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 07:51 PM
 
Hey, speaking of bannination, whatever happened to Rob/Cash? I know it's a derailment but damnit, I have lots to catch up on.


Also, I'd say fairness should be a 2-way street. To use the NBA as an example, the good refs usually let the players bang a little under the basket without calling ticky tack fouls. And in the same vein, the star players usually can get a few calls their way because they've earned a little leeway and are name brands.

But, get a rep as a serial fouler/flopper and it's going to follow you around the league just as people are going to know who the lousy refs are.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
May 20, 2008, 08:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
turtle's what_the_heck handle was used during a time when "turtle777" was temp-banned. Doing this is risky, and whatever Mod runs across it may temp-ban the alt handles, or permaban them.
May I add (just to uphold the notion that I'm not completely stupid / reckless):
The second handle was ONLY used to PM a mod, asking for clarification about the ban.
However, the resulting perma-ban was explained as "ban evasion by registering a new nick".



It could depend on what they [mod] ate that morning.
Thanks. This is the first time I'v gotten a reasonable explanation

-t
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,