Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini display default problem.

Mac mini display default problem.
Grandpa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 04:27 PM

I have my Intel mac mini connected to an Acer AL1916W monitor using a DVI to VGA adapter. Every time I boot up, the mini defaults to one of several different display sizes - not always the same one. I need it to default to 1280 x 768, which it does occasionally, but when I use "detect displays" sometimes it sees this size & sometimes it doesn't. Is there a way for me to default the mini into the 1280 x 768 mode? The monitor was bought in Switzerland, but the mini is a UK model. Thank you.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 07:31 AM

Try resetting the PRAM, that'll clear any previous display/video preferences. Then go into System Prefs and select the correct resolution and see if that holds after a restart.

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Cave Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 09:48 AM

It might be the display. A google search reveals that many people have had trouble with this display - which might be why it's no longer manufactured?

lechonlubber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 01:27 AM

I've been using that monitor with an windows box for a while now. I have had no problems with it. There are different versions of it though, the specs vary. I just picked up an new Mac mini running Leopard and it works great with that monitor. The difference is that I'm using DVI. Why not try the DVI port, it might be part of the problem. Also, the native resolution is 1440x900...maybe it's trying to change to that.

Herb

Grandpa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 05:30 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice. The PRAM reset didn't seem to solve the problem, so I am now going to try using the DVI port as advised by lechonlubber. Thank you again for everyone's help.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2007, 11:40 AM

Why are you trying to run it in 1280x768? It can't look very nice when the native resolution is 1440 x 900.

Grandpa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 01:25 PM

Of the options that were offered the 1280 x 768 was the best looking. I haven't been able to get it to run at the 1440 x 900 for some reason. The 1280 works for me, but the other options look horrible.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 27, 2007, 01:46 PM

1440x900 should look even better than 1280x768. Try the DVI port and see how it goes. If that fails then there's switchres X.

Forum Links
Forum Rules